• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Thoughts on authorized dealers raising GEC prices above the minimum sale price.

If that is how you choose to run your business that’s your choice.

How do you suggest I move my property management and care business to Indonesia?

Get an investment (Ketas visa) and you will be able to get a bank account and work there. Its the only country you can do that right now and the economy is wrecked and people starving due to tourism being cut off due to covid. It would be unbelievably inexpesive and the people work hard and long hours for very low pay.

if you are manufacturing knives they have some amazing wood there.

Get an investment (Ketas visa) and you will be able to get a bank account and work there. Its the only country you can do that right now and the economy is wrecked and people starving due to tourism being cut off due to covid. It would be unbelievably inexpesive and the people work hard and long hours for very low pay.

I get it. Profit margins and production.

For myself, I’d rather pay my neighbors and community a living wage that sustains a few. As long as I can pay my bills I’m good with that.

Business has many facets.

I can’t tell if you’re joking. Are you joking? Are you a real person? You start by calling Americans lazy... do you realize who your audience is? And now you say we should take advantage of staving people because they will work harder, longer and for less?

And this is your fix for GEC’s small production issue? I’m pretty sure you’re the guy who came up with the great ideas that ruined Camillus and Schrade for everybody.

Is there anyway I can convince you to close up shop here and take your production of terrible posts elsewhere?

I can’t tell if you’re joking. Are you joking? Are you a real person? You start by calling Americans lazy... do you realize who your audience is? And now you say we should take advantage of staving people because they will work harder, longer and for less?

And this is your fix for GEC’s small production issue? I’m pretty sure you’re the guy who came up with the great ideas that ruined Camillus and Schrade for everybody.

Is there anyway I can convince you to close up shop here and take your production of terrible posts elsewhere?

Well if you feel that strongly about Americans you can make a lot more money with my suggestions and then donate it hard working democrats which define our country today.

What Americans fail to understand about "cheap" labor is that the country that you are paying people in. The cost of living is so low that 60 cents is the cost of dinner at a good restaurant. So it is not as if though you are under paying them. Plus you are supporting them by giving them jobs to feed their families. Which they don't have.

Last edited:
Well if you feel that strongly about Americans you can make a lot more money with my suggestions and then donate it hard working democrats which define our country today.
Politics, now. :rolleyes:

I suppose one way to make supply equal demand is to reduce demand. Moving production offshore would accomplish that.

Smart business would move to a 3rd world country (like Indonesia) and train workers there.
That would be dumb business if the sale of your product is predicated on being made in the USA. Very dumb.

Seems you are still missing most of the point of this thread. Did you reread it again like I suggested?

Do you work hard and long hours for very low pay?

What Americans fail to understand about "cheap" labor is that the country that you are paying people in. The cost of living is so low that 60 cents is the cost of dinner at a good restaurant. So it is not as if though you are under paying them. Plus you are supporting them by giving them jobs to feed their families. Which they don't have.

Where did you get that number? Personal experience? Your nether regions? I did a quick search on that lying Internet and I came up with 76,092 Rupiahs, which is about $5.40. A 12 oz can of coke is about 59 cents.

Can you please document your assertion? TIA!

Well if you feel that strongly about Americans...

I feel strongly about people who make over generalized comments about groups of people... in this case that would be you, Sir.

What Americans fail to understand about "cheap" labor is that the country that you are paying people in.

What Colubrids fail to understand is that you’ve missed the point. I somehow get the impression you might not be a fan of the brand.

Your strange political commentary isn’t welcome, either.

I think that any cachet that GEC has would disappear if they went out of country. It's the whole 'handmade in the US' which appeals so much to a traditional market that values tradition. The collector market would vanish overnight of course, except for the pre move knives which would skyrocket.

You know what is really telling? That you don't think people involved in this discussion understand how the basics of global economics work. Even more silly is that you think it is relevant here.

You know what is really telling? That you don't think people involved in this discussion understand how the basics of global economics work. Even more silly is that you think it is relevant here.

I was not responding to you but to someone else.
Please reread the thread and pay close attention this time.

I think that any cachet that GEC has would disappear if they went out of country. It's the whole 'handmade in the US' which appeals so much to a traditional market that values tradition. The collector market would vanish overnight of course, except for the pre move knives which would skyrocket.

I can see it now; Far Eastern Cutlery.

Where did you get that number? Personal experience? Your nether regions? I did a quick search on that lying Internet and I came up with 76,092 Rupiahs, which is about $5.40. A 12 oz can of coke is about 59 cents.

Can you please document your assertion? TIA!

Please search Indonesian rupiahs. Not Indian rupiahs.

Use IDR to USD and search prices.

A house like this is a rich area (Canngu) and close to the beach is $1100. per month. And it includes wifi, electricity included, a housekeeper maid 3x per week, a gardner and pool maintenance person. All included.

Other example prices
Massage is $4. for an hour
Motorbike rental is $60 month.

56F93626-CA9D-42C6-8F8B-3C66D153BB18.jpeg

C6A326BD-948A-4F5A-9F2F-2DC19337A075.jpeg

E5D524FC-AC40-404B-83D8-ECCD57652396.jpeg

Of course you can downscale and get a nice 2 bedroom villa for around $500. month near the beach with large private pool.

You can get hotels in a affluent area near the beach for $10 per night like this one:

Hope the way this thread went I can at least help someone plan their retirement

Last edited:
Please search Indonesian rupiahs. Not Indian rupiahs.

Use IDR to USD and search prices.

A house like this is a rich area (Canngu) and close to the beach is $1100. per month. And it includes wifi, electricity included, a housekeeper maid 3x per week, a gardner and pool maintenance person. All included.

Other example prices
Massage is $4. for an hour
Motorbike rental is $60 month.

56F93626-CA9D-42C6-8F8B-3C66D153BB18.jpeg

C6A326BD-948A-4F5A-9F2F-2DC19337A075.jpeg

E5D524FC-AC40-404B-83D8-ECCD57652396.jpeg

Of course you can downscale and get a nice 2 bedroom villa for around $500. month near the beach with large private pool.

You can get hotels in a affluent area near the beach for $10 per night like this one:

Hope the way this thread went I can at least help someone plan their retirement

I
Please reread the thread and pay close attention this time.
Take your own advice. How is the Indonesian economy relevant to the price dealers are asking for GECs? At this point you're just derailing the thread on purpose.

Thread has taken a bad turn. Im not even sure if this is the place for discussion anymore.

Take your own advice. How is the Indonesian economy relevant to the price dealers are asking for GECs? At this point you're just derailing the thread on purpose.
Seriously.
colubrid colubrid , I invite you to continue this discussion of international business management and the price of massages in Indonesia over in the appropriate part of the forum.

On topic: while charging the maximum amount the market will bear is legal, and apparently not against the terms of whatever arraignments dealers have with GEC, I am voting with my dollars.
When a knife I want and can afford is available, I buy it at retail from CK or DLT. Otherwise I buy it from one of the fellow members here who are part of the community, enjoying the hobby together, rather than seeking an investment opportunity.
I can't control what others do, but that's what I do.

I'd close the thread, for thread drift, but then all the posts about GEC pricing would be in the Traditional Forum. :eek::eek::eek: Not an option.

So let's stay on topic, please, colubrid colubrid

Sorry but I was answering questions. Like this question:

"Where did you get that number? Personal experience? Your nether regions? I did a quick search on that lying Internet and I came up with 76,092 Rupiahs, which is about $5.40. A 12 oz can of coke is about 59 cents.

Can you please document your assertion? TIA!"

Back