Thoughts on how to "spread the word."

Professor

Gold Member
Mr. Glesser, when are your television ads coming out? That would IMO be the ultimate medium for informing the public of the cause.
I spent a long time finding mail order companies that bought in such bulk that they sold knives for not terribly much more than dealer cost. This allows me to re-sell them if I desire to my colleagues for what I paid + shipping. When I do, I (much like a Biblical witness) urge them to join the only organization founded on the protection of their knife rights. I usually cite examples of laws-gone-mad as they pertain to cutlery, and emplore them that their support is needed; not just as martial artists or those looking for a viable alternative to a firearm, but to those I sell to who are fishermen, hunters, even law enforcement and emergency personnel. I compare the AKTI to the NRA, sometimes referring to it as the "NRA of knives," explaining that our right to carry and use is in as much jeopardy as the rights of those who choose to carry and collect firearms. I would guess that about twenty percent of the people I sell to join the AKTI in their own interest.
Just as the television ads would be effective, how about the presidents of the knife companies who are board members allowing a percentage of their dealer sales to go to the AKTI? I'm not suggesting raising dealer costs or the cost to the general public. I'm thinking that trimming profits only marginally and contributing the rest to the cause would be an automatic and guaranteed fundraiser. Even one to two dollars from every Case, Benchmade, Spyderco, and others' individual sale would mean money toward the organization. Even if the price per knife did go up one or two dollars for the general public, I'd still but them as long as it was explained to me why. Sometimes rousing people to join a cause that makes to much sense can be cumbersome, and this would be a viable supplement, would it not?

------------------
Professor

[This message has been edited by Professor (edited 28 June 1999).]

Professor - The TV ad would be nice, but beyond our budget (and AKTIs) for major coverage at this time.

Regarding the % from the dealers, the dealers would have to initiate that. The factories on the board of regents have been supporting AKTI since the beginning. It would be unrealistic to ask them to put in more funds on top of the funds and free labor they currently provide.

We need you to continue spreading the word as you are doing, and other enthusiasts need to assist. Until AKIT's funds are considerably greater than current, we are limited. National TV spots run $5,000 to $15,000 for one 30 second spot. A TV "schedule" would need $50,000 to begin.
sal

Another way to spread the word would be to ship out huge numbers of brochures, like the little inserts that go in the knife boxes, for counter-top distribution in local cutlery shops. Perhaps the distrubitors can be persuaded to send out a bundle of the brochures--provided by AKTI, of course--to all of the dealers they supply. (Or is something like this already being done?) It's the friendly neighborhood knife dealer who is in a position to spread the word at the grass-roots level.

Speaking of brochures, has anyone noticed that the knife box insert application form has an error in the zip code? There is a six missing.

David Rock

I'll go along with more brochures for general distribution; for knife dealers to start. If it would have to be a membership-funded contribution to make it happen, I'll gladly contribute my share! BTW, Dave is correct about the missing "6" in the printed zip code of the AKTI applications that come in the knife boxes. The zip code should read, "52601-0068" instead of 5201-0068. Even though the USPS catches bad zips EVENTUALLY, it does delay the mail a bit. It's better to put the correct zip on the first time, as it streamlines delivery. Good eyes, Dave!

I think it would be easier for AKTI to send the flyers to manufacturers to include in product boxes rather than send to dealers to help control costs.

------------------
Best Regards,
Mike Turber
BladeForums Site Owner and Administrator
Do it! Do it right! Do it right NOW!
www.wowinc.com

Hmmm, I think a great way, and cheap, to get the word out would be to have booths at knife AND gun shows. I know that I, as a new member (waiting for the card to come back), would be more than willing to man a booth at our local gun shows. I'm not sure of the cost, but I suspect it would be minimal. It would certainly get the word out to a large, targeted population. Would anybody else be willing to do this?

Ray

[This message has been edited by Codeman (edited 29 June 1999).]

I`d volunteer to work a show booth as well.
I think the Charlotte NC show Charges $50 for a booth.
Also I have noticed several people Listing their AKTI numbers on their BF postings.I have started doing this too,in the hopes it will raise awareness in our own forum community.
Be Sharp
David
AKTI member # A000150

We have extra brochures like the ones in the knife boxes and a counter top sign with tear-off forms. Let me know whenever you attend a show or want some to give to your local favorite knife shops. Keep the ideas coming!
Jan

------------------
Jan Billeb
Executive Director, AKTI

One thing we have noticed is that shows are usually willing to donate space.

To regents viewing this thread: We need to put a packet together or something downloadable on our webpage with instructions/suggestions on how to man a booth for AKTI. With travel being the most expensive aspect of manning a booth, locals tackling local shows would be a great opportunity.

------------------
CJ Buck
Buck Knives, Inc.

Some good ideas here. Just what we need as well as volunteers to assist.

CJ - sound good to me. Jan can begin to put something together, Email the rest of us and "make it so". Sometimes WAIT is a 4 letter word.
sal

Sal,

How about getting the custom makers to donate a knife or two each year and have an auction. As a custom maker I would be up for this. Our organization ( The South Carolina Association of Knifemakers ) donated 19 knives and sold raffle tickets to raise money for our group. Maybe the same could work on a larger scale. I would like to make a couple of knives each year and add the AKTI logo on them and donate the proceeds from each knife to AKTI. As the President of SCAK I will see what sort of project we can do as a group to help raise money for AKTI. There are quite a few Knife clubs out there.
Let me know if I can help.

Bobby Branton
President
South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
and
American Knife Throwers Alliance

Bobby - That would be useful on the funds end, but would be even more useful if the person handling the raffle was spreading the word while holding the raffle.

AKTI needs more than funds. The 7 regents cannot provide the labor on our own. AKTI must be the group of members all "pulling in the same direction" rather than just the regents providing a service.

I'm responsible for Public Relations. I was planning on recruiting some of the forumites to head up committees on some of the projects. I'll post that on a separate thread when I pull the plan closer together. I could be wrong, but I think that the forumites have the understanding, history, passion and ability to greatly asssist this movement.
sal

Back