Thoughts on James brand Duval Sheepsfoot in Rosewood?

The Duval is a small (2.6" blade) front-flipper liner lock, if that matters.

Anker Messer by Otter.

u1Wdtna.jpg

Where do I find that GEC BladeForum knife?

Searched their site and couldn't find it.
You might find a used/pre-owned one on the secondary market. It was a Special Order for the BF Traditional sub-forum annual knife. Folks voted for the pattern and features they wanted. GEC made just enough for those who ordered one or two over in the Traditional sub-form to get the one or two ordered. (limit two per person, in an attempt to discourage those who would buy a bunch and immediately sell them at roughly double what they paid for it. AKA: "Flippers")
GEC will never make an identical knife. If they do a second run there will be significant differences, and chances are it will cost more. (by tradition the Forum Knife "has" to come in at or under a C note plus shipping.)

I'd suggest one of the Lion Steels (no, I do not own one, they are way out of my prices range, and I have only seen pictures of them).
I have read good reviews on them. They also have M390 blade steel (a stainless steel?) whereas the GEC has 1095 carbon steel (IMHO there is nothing wrong with 1095. It has been used in knives for several hundred, perhaps thousands of years. Yea, 1095 does require greater maintenance than a stainless steel blade, but it will take a patina, which is always good, IMHO.)

The Otter shown in post 22 would also be a good option.

GEC. Very nice knives at reasonable prices. You can get a few for $500.

Here's the 2019 Bladeforum knife in ebony (pretty sure) made by GEC.

Hard to see the beautifully marbled contrast in the wood. The second pic shows it albeit somewhat exaggerated.

View attachment 1335409 View attachment 1335410
Except they are no longer available unless you can find a used/pre-owned one on the secondary market. Also, you will pay more for the one on the secondary market (if you can find one) than it cost new.

Except they are no longer available unless you can find a used/pre-owned one on the secondary market. Also, you will pay more for the one on the secondary market (if you can find one) than it cost new.

Just so.

I see my post was poorly structured or worded. I only meant to say that GEC is a good company with plenty of options and will come in well under the desired budget. I posted the 2019 forum GEC to show how beautiful they can be.

I probably should have mentioned it was an exclusive model and not readily available (yet similar ones are) in the post with the pictures. My bad on that.

Last edited:
I really like the clean look of that. The front flipper tab looks a bit awkward, not sure how id like that.
Its a TI framelock/s35vn ... maybe a little over priced but if it was manufactured by "WE" or similar the price isn't toooo bad

Heh, not a chance. Also, who knows who actually made this knife?

They advertise as being "Designed in Portland, Oregon" which screams "not manufactured domestically." Given the company's founder used to live in China, that'd be the likely candidate. Based on the decent, but not really worth the price fit/finish they reportedly have, I'd go with Kizer.

I really like the clean look of that. The front flipper tab looks a bit awkward, not sure how id like that.
Its a TI framelock/s35vn ... maybe a little over priced but if it was manufactured by "WE" or similar the price isn't toooo bad

Front flippers are kind of awkward when you're used to the usual suspect of flippers, thumbstuds, opening holes etc.
However, the one I have got surprisingly comfortable to flick open or open slowly after a little bit of practice.

I still prefer the other methods, yet they do work well on gentlemanly knives while keeping the blade profile clean.

This one probably works well, but I dont really care for the aesthetics of the tab.

Front flippers are kind of awkward when you're used to the usual suspect of flippers, thumbstuds, opening holes etc.
However, the one I have got surprisingly comfortable to flick open or open slowly after a little bit of practice.

I still prefer the other methods, yet they do work well on gentlemanly knives while keeping the blade profile clean.

This one probably works well, but I dont really care for the aesthetics of the tab.

True, I was only into regular flippers but after getting a TBC EXK I kind of prefer this FF action / design over flipper tabs now.
Functionally and aesthetically amazing design. I think the best FF designs might be from jimping protruding slightly around the frame edge.
I've seen this large middle nub on other designs like the liong mah kuf and it is ugly for sure but i've never handled one.

Even if "only" $75 I would still pass. There are plenty lf good alternatives from known companies for a lot less green.

If you're ok with a slipjoint, take a look at the Viper Swayback Jack. M390 steel with modern titanium and screw construction with a nice combination of wharncliffe blade and swayback pattern.

Back