Thoughts on Short Spydies? (Ambitious vs Cat/Chicago G-10 vs Dragonfly 2 vs . . . )

Well, when I started one thread earlier regarding recommendations/comments/thoughts on the Kershaw Skyline vs the Spyderco Tenacious (perhaps as a "first blade" for newcomers -- either to EDC knives in general or to a particular company's products) (end shameless plug), it got into discussions of OTHER knives (Kershaws and Spydercos). Not that I mind, especially since I'm new to knives in general (don't have that first Spyderco, and I've only recently purchased that first Skyline); far from it, as it pointed me in the directions of knives I didn't initially consider at first (My only problem now is: Delica or Endura? Of the two, which should I get FIRST? But that's not for this topic.).

However, it DID get me to thinking about what my current blade needs were, and possibly what I may be lacking. And one option that came immediately to mind was a SHORTER blade (like, say, 2.5-inch or less). A carry/utility blade that's easy (if not easier) to pocket than some of the larger knives (like the aforementioned Skyline and Tenacious), but still useful (and maybe less worrisome to "sheeple" who may feel the need for a change of underwear when you whip out a longer knife).

And since I've recently been taking a hard look at Spydercos, . . . (HOLY FRAK!! WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN INTO?!? :D)

And Yes, some of the Spydies I've thought of for this purpose are:

Ambitious (8Cr13MoV 2.25-inch blade, G-10 scales, liner lock, easily under $30 . . . the downside being it's heavy at over 3 ounces -- not too much lighter than the Persistence)

Cat G-10 (440C 2.4-inch blade, liner lock, 2.5 ounces, DEEP pocket clip, somewhere in the vicinity of $40) (Actually, this is one I'm leaning more toward)

Chicago G-10 (practically the same as the Cat G-10 except lighter, and the blade is just under 2 inches; for some places, that makes it LEGAL)

Dragonfly 2 (2.25-inch blade of VG-10 or better, variety of scales from FFN to glass fiber, lockback, DEEP clip, CRAZY LIGHT at around 1.2 oz . . . but can be pricey -- $50 at least). (Sort of a shorter Delica -- which some might consider for the same purpose.)

And, of course, there are other short-blade Spydies (some are non-lockable, while some others don't have a pocket clip; I'd prefer having both, but others might not need those features).

Any thoughts? Anyone who has any of the above? (and use them?)

And any thoughts on how to alleviate the pain of a suffering bank account at the notion of TOO MANY SPYDERCOS?!? :p ;)

I am rather fond of the Cat myself. The Chicago is something that I would have to consider if I traveled much. Don't really care for the smaller FRN Spydercos. For some reason they remind me of gas station knives. They may be great blades, I have never tried them.

One of the cool things that I like about Spyderco is that you can stay with one basic design concept on all of your knives. Or I could, anyway.

For example:

Travel knife- Chicago

Small EDC knife- Cat

Normal EDC - Tenacious

Serious EDC - Manix 2

Dress knife- PM2

Loaner/beater- Byrd knife

Reactions: vba
Get the Delica before you get the Endura, the size is just right.

I like the Dragonfly, though I've only held one in the store a couple of times, I do plan on getting either the ZDP or G10 version.

I bought my sister a Squeak, which I believe is basically a Chicago without a lock. It's cool, feels very well-made for its size. I'd probably go with a Dragonfly though, myself.
17175511772_781571bdf8_z.jpg

I like the Dragonfly2 a lot. I don't think of it as a "shorter Delica" though. Both are lockbacks, have the same default blade steel, and have FRN handles with similar texture, but that's about it for similarities. Both are excellent knives in their own right.

I haven't handled the others you mentioned. But, I do also have a Leafstorm and a couple of Chaparrals. The Leafstorm is also a very cool little knife. I haven't really put my Chaparrals through much use yet.

A Delica paired with a D'Fly is an excellent EDC set-up that will handle most all of your needs.

I've owned 2 Dragonfly2's, too short for my needs but still a great little knife. I love the way it looks, acts, etc. Of the options you listed, it's the only one i find appealing, but that's me. I gave both as presents to owners that carry them always and use them often for string, tape, packages, letters, etc. I got both off the bladeforums exchange for $40 a-piece, one went just this week for $35, so not as pricey as perceived. Watch the exchange or post in the WTB forum, someone might have one they are willing to off-load.

Of the four that you mention you're considering, I own the G-10 Cat and a Dragonfly in ZDP-189. Either (or Both) should more than cover any small knife needs. You might also consider the Cricket, which I find surprisingly useful. I carry mine far more often than I ever thought I would.
And - Endura first. ;)

I had the Persistence, Cat, and DF.

Persistence: Great knife. Steel is junk.
Cat: Sort of ugly. Better Steel. Awesome clip!
DF: All backlocks I've had from Spyderco have blade play. It drives me crazy. Best Steel of the group.

I'd go for the new version Cat with the jimping.

I'd go for the new version Cat with the jimping.
I thought the Cat G-10 didn't have jimping; not exactly a deal-breaker for me, but having the jimping certainly would help -- especially on the choil. (Then again, if need be, I have access to a Dremel tool . . . )

Sorry for the late reply on this (just looked up some more on this knife) --
I bought my sister a Squeak, which I believe is basically a Chicago without a lock. It's cool, feels very well-made for its size.
17175511772_781571bdf8_z.jpg

Pretty close, except the handles on the Squeak are FRN (w/ no steel liners), but with a blade of N690Co (I've seen some comments referring to it as "Austria's answer to VG-10" -- if so, then probably better than 440C, which still isn't bad at all).

I'm more interested in having a locking blade. But I have to say -- VEEERY TEMPTING!! Maybe sometime in the future (in black) . . .

I have a G10 Dragonfly and Cat. Both very capable knives. I like both of them.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the knives you listed. It may be a matter of lock style and blade steel you prefer.

Let us know what you decide, but we all know you will eventually get them all and a few more.....

Ric

Dragonfly is a superb modern choice. Will try not to reiterate common choices like Opinel, Spydies, Benchmade's and such.

For something a touch more traditional I like the A G Russell line of Titanium 2, 2.5, etc. folders. The Funny Folder from him may be an option as well. All are definitely two-handed openers.

One last non-conventional choice would be the Fred Perrin Trifolder. This latter option has a bit of a rattle problem and likely will have a bit of bladeplay out of box. Can be fixed by peening but just a heads-up.

Personally huge fan of carbon (non-stainless) steels. Especially simple carbons like 1070, 1095. Easy to maintain, especially if you patina early on. Quite a few traditionals out there that might suit you.

Actually, seno, Opinels were what got me started recently on blades; first learned about them earlier this year, and I've already got Nos. 6 & 9 (both Inox; maybe not as sharp as the carbon steel, but certainly less maintenace; maybe later, when I'm more confident w/ my knife skills . . . )

Let us know what you decide, but we all know you will eventually get them all and a few more.....

Well, the Cat has just been ordered (It helps that it's well under $40 on Amazon; probably a "limited time" deal, as the Chicago is around $45 from the same retailer.). And sorry, willydigger -- I don't know if this is a Cat w/ jimping (don't exactly know who to call at Amazon about that); like I said earlier, "no jimping" isn't exactly a deal-breaker for me (yet). It should arrive sometime next week, but ALREADY I am SHIVERING, with ANTICI--

Well, the Cat has just been ordered (It helps that it's well under $40 on Amazon; probably a "limited time" deal, as the Chicago is around $45 from the same retailer.). And sorry, willydigger -- I don't know if this is a Cat w/ jimping (don't exactly know who to call at Amazon about that); like I said earlier, "no jimping" isn't exactly a deal-breaker for me (yet). It should arrive sometime next week, but ALREADY I am SHIVERING, with ANTICI--

Good choice... I had gotten a Cat a few months ago on Amazon for around that price, and it was the model without the jimping, but it doesn't make a big difference imo.

I appreciate the variety of small knives that Spyderco has compared to other companies. I don't have one yet, but they're at the very top of my list.

Probably going to Chicago over the summer too, so I'll probably pick one up before then

Back