Thoughts on the M-18, with pictures!

tradewater

Geezerator
Finally got my hands on one!

Murph was kind enough to send me his M-18 for a test drive since I couldn't make the last couple of Beckerhead gatherings and I missed out on the debut. It worked out better this way. I have it to myself for a few days and will be able to spend some time working with it. I'll put my initial thoughts here now and use this as a place holder for a more in depth tryout and pics.

So, here we go...
First thing I thought when I drew it from the sheath was: "It doesn't seem like two pounds" and "There's a lot going on here". It seems more compact than I had imagined it to be also. (EDIT: From the pictures I've seen, it seemed ungainly long. It's not. A pleasant surprise.) For a big tank of a knife this thing feels light in the hand. That should come in pretty handy for what I've got in mind.

Some table top examination (actually recliner with Black & Tan in hand)..
The metal work is outstanding and brings to mind a very high end, heavy duty tool. Like something you'd see in a Swiss cooper's shop. A throw back to fine 19th century craftsmanship. Surfaces are smooth with well executed rounds where they are called for, crisp and clean everywhere else. Jimping is immaculate. The handles feel quite familiar (?) and have those famous Becker ergonomics. Yep, there's a lot going on here and I'm looking forward to discovering all the stuff you can do with it.

More to follow.

1) Okay...........was not expecting that. Went out this morning and clipped a few small maple limbs just to get a taste. Discovered part of what all the stir is about. Moving forward just a little and using a pinch grip makes snap cuts effortless. I don't use a "traditional" pinch grip with thumb and forefinger. I get better control and can add more "snap" by using a middle finger/thumb grip. The knife's balance point makes it ideal for these kind of cuts. Haven't taken any pictures yet, but will. Going to take it back to the swamp today hopefully.

2) Seasoned oak = no problem
Went head to head with the Warlock. The Warlock is a couple inches longer and a little thinner (same weight). I did not think anything would outchop the Warlock in hardwood but the M18 hits with a lot more "authority". Spits out big chips like an axe. Don't get the bighead yet though, I'm not through. I'm impressed, but not sold.

Okay, I'm sold now. :D

Here it is with just a few of the tools it can stand in for.

8269333707_5baf16cf11_b.jpg

Yes, it's a hoss but very capable of fine work such as:

Chisel. Also a slick for debarking a log or section.

8270387684_0d786ef50f.jpg
8269319493_a4a010776f.jpg

Drawknife. The M-18 actually makes a very good drawknife and by tilting it up; a curved scraper for making round stock very smooth.

8270394844_99bef2723e.jpg
8269326679_ea50aee006.jpg

I realize chances are you won't have a shaving horse with you, but a forked tree can be made to work nicely for a hold.

Here are just a few of the many grips possible for fine work.

8269870165_afb9f81061.jpg
8269862275_ddf0d57771.jpg

8269824949_ec50b6c380.jpg
8270931290_578c06e8b5.jpg

Thumb assisted cuts are especially easy.

8270923104_c13940f578_b.jpg

I already know how well the M-18 handles smaller vegetation like a machete and for cutting arm sized trees down. I took it to the swamp while my camera was down. But I was curious how it stacks up against a sharp hatchet for controlled shaping and trimming.

The hatchet is my tool of choice for a lot of camp chores. Is it more or less tiring than the M-18 if you have a lot to do? How about control for precise cuts? Let's see..

The hatchet delivers the bulk of it's weight to a concentrated area. Just pick it up and let it fall. The wedge goes so far and stops. To make a cleaving cut you need to apply some punch.

8270919132_e94d3025a8_c.jpg
8270915182_801e8ec6a2_c.jpg

The M-18's balance and thinner grind allow very precise and biting cuts. Less force is required for a deep bite.

8270907464_ca1f21a97e_c.jpg

Very comfortable to use and cutting was effortless.

8269838283_57b8cf4030_b.jpg

Some final thoughts...

A couple of things are impossible to photograph and difficult to describe about this knife. One is how agile and light it feels in the hand. Not at all what I imagined. The other is how absolutely effortless it is to chop with. I know what I'd heard about it and how impressed my buddies were, but until I actually worked it some I had no idea. It is truly an amazing and well executed design that I am totally impressed with. I'd like to thank Murph for giving me the chance to handle it. Wow.

Here is the biggest smile I've had in years..

8270895644_a2b5a4322c_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice review! But we need some PICS!!! Possibly the coolest looking knife i have ever seen and your denying me the "seeing" it part :)

I also use my middle finger and thumb, with the pointer finger i feel like its not as secure in my hands.

Todd (and or Murf),

Is the can opener intentional, or did I discover something?

Todd (and or Murf),

Is the can opener intentional, or did I discover something?

Hehe. Seriously Trade. Do ya have to ask? The maker works in mysterious ways......................there are no coincedences at tmhuntcustomknives.

Last edited:
Take the plunge Trade, you know you love it just admit it. I did and have cleared out a large area in the back 40 with mine. Todd has really hit on something on this one and I am proud to be the owner of M-18 #5.

I spotted that right off the bat. Opened my last Beer Barrel Stout with it.

Still haven't figured out how to post pics I see.

Lmao im gunna need;

1. pictures
and
2. to know where that bottle opener is!

I believe the can opener is where the sharp blade ends and the choil area starts?

What cant this thing do? slap full of function! I LIKE IT :)

My camera is acting stupid. Will get it straightened out and get em up asap.

Well you gotta remember, cameras from his day required people to hold still for several hours on end, and you had to use an awful lot of flash powder. Here is a pic for reference:

camera_117E7DEB-95A4-3493-9D1F5673DDF35929.jpg

You guys really ought to have more respect for Trade. Youve heard the saying "When a old geezer dies a liberary burns" and I feel that is true. Just stop and think about all the defining moments in history Trade has witnessed first hand. for example. The perils of the Civil War and the assassination of Lincoln in 1865. Growing up as a young man in unihabited indian infested Barlow. The sinking of the Titanic in 1912. Prohibition in 1920 which lasted 13 years I might add. that had to be extremely hard on him. No Bud Select 55! That of course gave way to the great depression only to enter WWII after that. I mean damn guys. have some respect for this man. He is a living treasure and should be treated as such. Besides, how would you like it if a bunch of young honyoks such as yourselves made fun of your great great great grandfather. it wouldnt be so funny then would it? Think before you speak boys!

Last edited:
HAHHAHAHAHHAAHA....all this is just so funny. Yeah, a real knee slapper. Oh, by the way, I took the liberty of regrinding a little on that M18. I think the draw knife part would be better a couple of inches longer. Turned out pretty good. I probably should have waited til I was sober to do it, but yeah, it turned out okay. For the most part.

HAHHAHAHAHHAAHA....all this is just so funny. Yeah, a real knee slapper. Oh, by the way, I took the liberty of regrinding a little on that M18. I think the draw knife part would be better a couple of inches longer. Turned out pretty good. I probably should have waited til I was sober to do it, but yeah, it turned out okay. For the most part.

You did it drunk!? Wow anew grinder and drinking on the job, lookout Todd he's trying to muscle us out!

You did it drunk!? Wow anew grinder and drinking on the job, lookout Todd he's trying to muscle us out!

Actually Murph, that was his version of a public mea culpa. He actually broke your M18 when he thought he was Thor and smashed mjolnir (your M18) repeatedly onto Barlow's cobblestone Main St.

Actually Murph, that was his version of a public mea culpa. He actually broke your M18 when he thought he was Thor and smashed mjolnir (your M18) repeatedly onto Barlow's cobblestone Main St.

Cobblestone! I like that. Makes petrified roadkill sound "quaint".

Hell if I care! thats why you got Murphs and not mine! pics or it didnt happen I say!

Oh, by the way, I took the liberty of regrinding a little on that M18. I think the draw knife part would be better a couple of inches longer.

Y'all may think he's joking, but he said this to me while sober the other day.

Well... semi-sober.

Back