Thoughts on the SOG Seal Pup

KenHash

Gold Member
I only now learned that sometime in 2017, SOG changed from Taiwan production to China production. I was very surprised as after SOG ended Seki Japan production in 2006 and went to Taiwan, only their lowest end products were made in China.
But the Seal Pup has been around since 1995 and has seen a lot of US military use, even the later Taiwan versions. Will they still be used in SEALS BUDS being made in China? Kind of
a weird thought when the Chinese PLA Navy trains with the USN as the designated enemy.
More to earth, I checked out a Youtube destruction test and the only two significant differences between the older Taiwan version and newer China version seems to
be the noticably shallower serrations. The other is that the sheath snap on the Taiwan knife is metal as has always been while the China one is plastic.
The newer Seal Pup appears to have a decent heat treated Aus8, although I suppose that "could" be 8Cr13MoV.
I will be giving the Chinese Seal Pup a try as I can not seem to find the Taiwan ones anymore, To think I used to own the Seki one and the Taiwan made Elite in the past...lol.

MADE IN TAIWAN SEAL PUP (In production since 2006)
64Snw3.jpg

MADE IN CHINA SEAL PUP: (Note the serrations- In production since 2017)
V6dFEb.jpg

Difference - courtesy Mayor Fuglycool -Youtube.
Updating this youtube video, the SOG logo on both the blade and handle on Taiwan models became the same as on the China one shown,
UTEXmC.jpg

Sheath Snap Difference, Taiwan metal snap on left, China Plastic on right. The China sheath is 1/4" wider than the Taiwan sheath.
There are reviews stating that the plastic snap is both hard to open with one hand, and difficult to snap close, and several reports of the snap simply breaking.
This appears to be a clear drop in both material and quality.
oYlo34.jpg

In Conclusion, if you can find a Seki Seal Pup, great. If not find a Taiwan one like on the left. Best to avoid the China one on tje right.
vHOHP0.jpg

Last edited:
Sad to hear that. I have Taiwanese Pup and Pup Elite. Both excellent knives. I would not buy another if it was made in the new place. I would always doubt the actual steel used.

What's odd is that right now at least, the regular Seal Pups are made in China, while the Seal Pup Elites continue to be made in Taiwan.

Well my SOG Seal Pup arrived today. Even though the site where I bought it said "Made in China" and the SOG Website says Country of Origin: China,
I opened it up and was very pleasantly surprised. I guess I got one of the older stock. Made my day. The kind of joy only a knife nut could understand..lol
hIPckM.jpg

Last edited:
I keep a older Japan model strapped to my kayak. Great boat knife! Has the kydex sheath with line cutter notch in it too. Bought it from a local gun shop many years ago

I’m a big fan of the seal pup line, but I won’t get the made in China version. I carry one of several Seki made pups occasionally, in the original kydex, and keep the Taiwan made ones in vehicles.

Thanks for sharing the observation regarding the serrations.

^ that's quite a large ricasso compared to my Taiwan one! Mine is too small there to use just the tip of my finger fits. Not trying for the entendres, they are just flowing.

Last edited:
Back