Thoughts on the SOG SUPER BOWIE Please.

Hey all.

I've been kinda nosing around and looking at fixed blades from various makers. I'd like to get your thoughts on one of the knives that caught my eye, the SOG SUPER BOWIE. I've never had the chance to handle one, but have always liked the looks of the SOG Bowies. Just something really classic looking about them.
I'm wondering about the Super Bowie and how it would be as an all around, general use knife that could possibly handle a number of chores that it could be called upon to perform. What do you think of this knife in that role? It has a very thick blade that I think was listed at 1/4" thick. That should provide ample strength to handle splitting and cutting wood for the fire. What's your thoughts? If you own one, how about posting your thoughts and experiences with it. Do you think the smaller SOG Bowie knives are better suited for these duties than this one?

The only problem I see with it is the price. It looks like it comes in at about $225 or so, give or take. That puts it against another nice knife that I saw mentioned here.....the DU-STAR ARAD 1 at 7 1/2" which is about $200 and then the Cold Steel Recon Scout at 7" and $95.
Hard to choose 1 when you step back and look at all the great knives that are available to us.

Anyway, please add your thoughts and ideas, if you don't mind. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time.
Have a good weekend everyone.

Larry

The Sog Super Bowie is definitely one of their nicer knives. I think i would get the Dustarr instead. Then again I am biased.

The hollow grind is thin-edged, so it will retain its edge geometry forever, while all other flat or convex ground knives grow thicker as you sharpen them.

That and stainless is a huge advantage over the carbon Recon Scout.

The SOG is a very good all-around knife: Heavy, which is good for mild chopping despite the rearward balance. The only competition I can think of in stainless is the Fallkniven Odin and A2, but they are convex edged so they grow thicker with each sharpening. The rubber handle on the A-2 is just sub-par, being thin and easily damaged in places...

Everyone is going to advise a carbon blade of one sort or another: unless you like edge stains and relatively fast dulling (but easier sharpening), I would say ignore them.

For all-around use, like path clearing, or delimbing the faster-drying thin branches up where there is more wind, I would say go bigger, but there is not much in stainless as you go bigger. Fallkniven Thor or SM III Trailmaster, and all that is way up there is price, as is the Odin...

There is not much else quite like the Super Bowie, at least from factory production knives it seems... The steel should be extremely good, but is an unknown quantity to me because it is from Taiwan (Japanese Aus-8 is unbeatable, as is SM-III VG-1).

Gaston

The hollow grind is thin-edged, so it will retain its edge geometry forever, while all other flat or convex ground knives grow thicker as you sharpen them.

The SOG is a very good all-around knife: Heavy, which is good for mild chopping despite the rearward balance. The only competition I can think of in stainless is the Fallkniven Odin and A2, but they are convex edged so they grow thicker with each sharpening. The rubber handle on the A-2 is just sub-par, being thin and easily damaged in places...

Everyone is going to advise a carbon blade of one sort or another: unless you like edge stains and relatively fast dulling (but easier sharpening), I would say ignore them.

For all-around use, like path clearing, or delimbing the faster-drying thin branches up where there is more wind, I would say go bigger, but there is not much in stainless as you go bigger. Fallkniven Thor or SM III Trailmaster, and all that is way up there is price, as is the Odin...

There is not much else quite like the Super Bowie, at least from factory production knives it seems... The steel should be extremely good, but is an unknown quantity to me because it is from Taiwan (Japanese Aus-8 is unbeatable, as is SM-III VG-1).

Gaston

So what is your experiences with SOGs in general and the SOG bowies including this one specifically?

Hey all.

I've been kinda nosing around and looking at fixed blades from various makers. I'd like to get your thoughts on one of the knives that caught my eye, the SOG SUPER BOWIE. I've never had the chance to handle one, but have always liked the looks of the SOG Bowies. Just something really classic looking about them.
I'm wondering about the Super Bowie and how it would be as an all around, general use knife that could possibly handle a number of chores that it could be called upon to perform. What do you think of this knife in that role? It has a very thick blade that I think was listed at 1/4" thick. That should provide ample strength to handle splitting and cutting wood for the fire. What's your thoughts? If you own one, how about posting your thoughts and experiences with it. Do you think the smaller SOG Bowie knives are better suited for these duties than this one?

The only problem I see with it is the price. It looks like it comes in at about $225 or so, give or take. That puts it against another nice knife that I saw mentioned here.....the DU-STAR ARAD 1 at 7 1/2" which is about $200 and then the Cold Steel Recon Scout at 7" and $95.
Hard to choose 1 when you step back and look at all the great knives that are available to us.

Anyway, please add your thoughts and ideas, if you don't mind. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you for your time.

Larry

OP, I would ignore everything Gaston says as he is known for not having a clue what he is talking about.

I've owned most of the Seki made SOGs and quite a few of the modern variants. I would say your assessment is spot on in that the price does not match what you get. Spend your money elsewhere. It is a fine knife but not worth the price new, IMO. If you can find a good deal then go for it. Other then that, look at something less expensive. If you need something that looks like that classic SOG I'm not sure where to point you. I've still got a Tech Bowie that I love but still think it over priced. If you want something to actually do the work you want but maybe not look the part I would go with Esee, Becker, or Tops. There are tother options members will mention that would be more cost effective too. Despite what a select few think, good old 1095 really is a great steel for a hard use blade. If you want to step up look at something in 3v.

Last edited:
Hey all.

Thank you for your time.

Larry
Nalapombu, I agree with craytab's post on the super bowie... and Gaston too, for that matter. It's a nice knife, but I didn't find it a great user for its price. I own one because I find it aesthetically pleasing, but there are knives that I like a lot better as users for less money. It would work though so if you love the aesthetic and are willing to pay extra for that, I say go for it.

As of a month or so ago, Gaston hadn't used a super bowie. In fact the only reason he knows it has a rearward balance is because I called bs on him when he recommended it in a different thread (that he got a trolling infraction in) in part because of the forward balance of the design. He had never actually touched one. You'd think he'd buy one himself instead of telling others to since it's one of his favorites.

606ffb228a6fcb5689e5ec854df2928c.jpg

Poor pic, but top to bottom: sog super bowie, cold steel recon scout, ontario rd7 (which happened to be in the pickup when I grabbed the other two for a comparison shot). All guards (or handle scales on the Ontario) are flush against the board on the right since it stuck up a bit further so you can get an idea of comparative blade and handle lengths. The lower in the pic they are, the better I personally like them as users. YMMV.

Last edited:

Gaston

Hollow grinds grow thicker as you sharpen them too. Just like flat and convex grinds. They just don't get thicker as quickly.

So your statement is incorrect.

OP, I would ignore everything Gaston says as he is known for not having a clue what he is talking about.

This is honestly some of the best advice to be found on Bladeforums.

As for the bowie, it seems like a good design that's overpriced.

....I've owned most of the Seki made SOGs and quite a few of the modern variants. I would say your assessment is spot on in that the price does not match what you get. Spend your money elsewhere. It is a fine knife but not worth the price new, IMO. If you can find a good deal then go for it. Other then that, look at something less expensive. If you need something that looks like that classic SOG I'm not sure where to point you. I've still got a Tech Bowie that I love but still think it over priced. If you want something to actually do the work you want but maybe not look the part I would go with Esee, Becker, or Tops. There are tother options members will mention that would be more cost effective too. Despite what a select few think, good old 1095 really is a great steel for a hard use blade. If you want to step up look at something in 3v.

I think this general assessment is correct with SOGs in general. I have both the Tech I and Tech II bowies and others, but not the Super Bowie. They aren't bad knives, you can just do better for the money.

Still way too much for what you get IMO.

It still is indeed...

I was kinda stating that in the context of "compared to prices everywhere else, for the shopper who is seeking this particular piece", but yep, you're correct.

Thanks all for your help and opinions.

Hexenjager, thank you for posting the pic. Great looking trio there. The Super Bowie is a beautiful piece to my eye for sure, no denying that. As for the others, they are fine knives too and on the Recon Scout, I don't know if I would like that handle or not. I know there are guys that will do up a "custom" grip for you like those on a Randall 14, but then you are singing more money into it and almost to the price point of the Super Bowie.

Oh well....so many knives to choose from. Really can't go wrong unless you actually tried to.

Thanks again everyone and have a great weekend!!
Larry

I would say a Recon Scout all the way. Very good knife for the bucks spent. I've abused an SK5 for several years now and the thing still takes a razor edge pretty readily, handle has never come loose, but I did replace the stock sheath with a couple of different leather styled sheaths. It comes coated from the factory so rust is not a big worry, but mine is not now as I stripped it. 5/16" spine, high full flat grind with a thin edge and excellent tool steel used, what is not to like. Good using length too. keepem sharp

PS I have no experience with the other knives mentioned so can't comment on them.

I still have the older version of the Recon Scout with the 'Carbon V' steel. I hardly ever used it because I just wound up not liking it as much as other knives in that category that I also have or had. However, that's just a personal preference thing......it is a very good knife!

Gaston

Another bullshit coming out from Mr. Gaston :rolleyes:

Both hollow and flat will grow thick for each serious sharpening. You also didn't mention that hollow ground will be always weaker compare to flat or convex ground thus it high likely to took more damage from hard using.

Hollow ground profile is excellent for pure cutting performance but far from the best all around.

Back