Thoughts on the ZT0308?

It's a reboot of an old design with updated materials and features.

Speedsafe is now replaced by KVT bearings.
S30V is upgraded to 20CV.

I had a ZT 0302. I liked it, but never carried it. I ended up trading it.

Personally, for like $100 more you could get a Hinderer. Annnd I feel like most people have a flat head/coin/credit card/etc. that could be used to field adjust the pivot over a 1/2" wrench. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's a solid knife. The problem is that the competition is equal if not better.

I think it is a great knife, but since they aren't out yet all we have are people who coon-fingered one at Blade(oops - meant SHOT).

It looks like a big hunk, which I like, and it goes back to the overbuilt era that a lot of people on this very forum were suggesting would be a good thing.

I intend to have one, I like the 1/2" pivot, I like the look of it and it's not like 1/2" wrenches are a rare commodity. I like the beefy look of it.

I also like the machining work on on both sides of the knife.

Now to get one in hand!

best

mqqn

Last edited:
Usually those pivot nuts can be adjusted finger tight if there's no thread lock involved.
Sort of how my Emerson and Hinderer screws can be simply tightened with my thumbnail.
I wouldn't sweat the wrench thing.

I like it. The things I dislike about the 300 series (recurve, speedsafe) are gone, and I really like the texturing on both sides like the 300 has. I don't carry folders that heavy, but if I did I would pick one up for sure. Good on ZT for getting back to their roots. They have some nice hard use offerings now (562) and some nice refined models. Everyone should be happy. I WOULD like to see some tougher steels in these hard-use models. 20CV is great, but not really ideal for hard use. Cruwear would be fantastic.

If it had a thumb opener as well , or instead of the flipper and PB instead ball bearings. I'd be all over it.

Even with the random hole in the handle.

I will be picking one of these up at some point this year. I’d like to wait for a Black Friday sale but I doubt I’ll be able to hold out that long. We shall see.

I was never a fan of the 300 series, just too blocky and beefy and the recurve and speedsafe are non-starters for me.

When I bought my 1st ZT I had been carrying BM for a few years and was actually looking to get another one when the counter guy suggested the ZT and implied the build quality may actually be better. I bought a 920 for my sons b-day but ended up playing with it a little bit before I gave it to him. Not long after that I started acquiring more and more ZT's. I now have 10 but haven't actually carried one in a while. I still really appreciate them but I've acquired so many other great knives that the ZT drawer doesn't get opened much anymore. The only ones I find myself carrying are my 609 and de-assisted 566 and haven't purchased a ZT in a loooong time. IMO ZT's 'golden age' has been over for a while.

Having said all that this is the 1st ZT in a long time I've actually looked at more than a few times and can actually see it in my 'collection'. The pricing is what keeps me from committing, once I hit the $300 mark a lot of options open up. I just picked up a SoCom Elite drop point manual that's every bit as well made as my best ZT's, a fantastic knife that runs at the same price point as the latest crop of ZT's, maybe even a few bucks less and I even carry it :)

The ZT 0301 is one of my favourite knives of all times. The ZT 0308 definitely has upgrades in the steel and KVT. However, the hole in the handle, lack of jimping on handle (thumb ramp and end of handle) and no tiger stripes. At this moment I wouldn't trade a ZT 0301 for a 0308, but I will probably eventually give it a chance at least.
It's a reboot of an old design with updated materials and features.

Speedsafe is now replaced by KVT bearings.
S30V is upgraded to 20CV.

I had a ZT 0302. I liked it, but never carried it. I ended up trading it.

Personally, for like $100 more you could get a Hinderer. Annnd I feel like most people have a flat head/coin/credit card/etc. that could be used to field adjust the pivot over a 1/2" wrench. :rolleyes:

I'm sure it's a solid knife. The problem is that the competition is equal if not better.
At one point I had 4 XM-18's, sold them all and kept my ZT 0301's.

Last edited:
I have sceptical about the hole
Seriously, who is the guy who drills hole into the new ZT knives???? ;)
The guy shall take his medications ;)

more seriously after looking at the disassembly video from USAmadeblade I am much more comfortable with the 0308
I would have preferred it to run on washers but that is just me

looks like a good knife but the price I too high
$300 seems 10% over what I would have paid for it

I’ll be able to give my opinion on the 0308 more accurately once it arrives and should be early next week :thumbsup:
So far everything I’ve read and seen I like.
I think this one is going back to ZT’s roots and really is built like a tank and I like it’s a in house design . Love the 3D milling , the pivot and really everything about it. All a matter of opinion but I also think it’s sexy as hell !!
Again once in hand I’ll be able to give “my” more accurate opinion and can’t wait !

This knife has everything on it that I wanted upgraded from the 300 series. 20CV Steel, Non Assisted, No Recurve on the blade, Handle is not as wide across the face, and it runs on bearings. While I agree I am not a fan of the hole, it is not enough to keep this one out of my pocket. The 300 series sold at $272 so I feel like with the 20CV upgrade the $300 price tag is right in line.

Here are some shots we have taken since they have come in. Hope they help!

^^ Hex yea !^^
Definitely got the juices flowing !!!
Normally I’m never in a hurry for Monday’s but for some reason I sure am this weekend:D

The hole in the handle, why? It looks like a perfect beefy knife, but hey lets just through a slot in the handle. No, not just the g10 that someone can change, lets put it through the liner and titanium.

The hole in the handle, why? It looks like a perfect beefy knife, but hey lets just through a slot in the handle. No, not just the g10 that someone can change, lets put it through the liner and titanium.
It appears it’s just for looks and I could take it or leave it but I think it looks good. As mentioned in Whitty’s video being it’s open You can blow it out from the hole in side and or from the top above the pivot. That way dirt or debris has a place to escape when blowing out. Instead of just from the top of the knife then just getting trapped in there.
Of course as we all know the best way is to disassemble the knife but for a quick cleaning to blow out the dust bunnies:) I think it’s very functional :thumbsup:

I think current prices are a more fair comparison as they should be vs what they use to sell for Months or years ago.
Just saying ..

I’m currently carrying my Drop collab Terzuola ACTF, and it’s perfect as far as just about every measure. At this point in my life hobby, I’m much more concerned about getting what I’m paying for. If I purchase a $300 knife I expect that level of fit and finish, and a lot of these Chinese companies are giving me exactly what I want for half that price. I used to be a huge ZT fan, And they’ve disappointed me in recent years..... Always little things to as far as fit and finish, pocket clips, misaligned scales, burnt edges, bad sharpening job, etc. it’s never been all of the above, only one on every knife I’ve had but it was enough to ruin it for me.

That all being said I’m looking for an excuse to buy this knife, so I may have to sit back and hear what people think of it before I pull the trigger.

I’m currently carrying my Drop collab Terzuola ACTF, and it’s perfect as far as just about every measure. At this point in my life hobby, I’m much more concerned about getting what I’m paying for. If I purchase a $300 knife I expect that level of fit and finish, and a lot of these Chinese companies are giving me exactly what I want for half that price. I used to be a huge ZT fan, And they’ve disappointed me in recent years..... Always little things to as far as fit and finish, pocket clips, misaligned scales, burnt edges, bad sharpening job, etc. it’s never been all of the above, only one on every knife I’ve had but it was enough to ruin it for me.

That all being said I’m looking for an excuse to buy this knife, so I may have to sit back and hear what people think of it before I pull the trigger.
For me I’ve had nothing but consistent perfection with fit and finish on every ZT I’ve ever owned and I’ve had many over the years. Of course others mileage may very and with that being said there one of the few knife manufacturers I don’t feel the need to mention pick me out a nice one when buying blind online. I think while your sitting back waiting for owners with them in hand to get there opinions is very wise. When ever a new knife is in production there is always going to be some folks with negativity towards that particular knife and there’s nothing wrong with that even if they don’t own one first hand. I think the weight of there opinion being of more value if they actually have one In hand.
That’s what’s great about our hobby is there’s so many great knives these day to pretty much “almost” satisfy everyone :D

Back