Three blems and one near perfect Thamar Dui chirra for 10/14

Ndoghouse, does that work with horn though? I haven't worked with horn yet, so this is going to be new.

I'm going to review old posts tonight. I know you guys have talked about this before, I just skimmed it back then cuz I wasnt fixing a horn crack. Now I get try some epoxy or something.

Actually I think they call them Rat Tail tangs. Full Tang or Chiruwa is two slabs with the handle showing metal all the way around.

Rat Tail as you say, all the way through and peened is very strong.

Mr B. I think HI is a partial tang, and peened at the end, isn't it? Isn't a partial tang wider/thicker than a rat tail? I could very well be wrong in this regard.

In either case. the handles are extremely strong, never heard of a failure in all the time I've been here. I prefer them to the chiruwa, I think the traditional tangs absorb the shock better.

This dui chirra is very different from the previous Thamar dui chirras - the previous ones appeared to have three fullers, while Thamar's "Yek Chirra"s appeared to have two fullers, like this one has, but on the Yek Chirra I have, the fuller is quite different, and both of mine have more downward curve to the handles, which I really like:

My Thamar Yek Chirra:View attachment 480810

My Thamar Dui Chirra:View attachment 480811

I agree with you Bob, my Thamar Dui Chirra seems to have 3 fullers, and the handle is indeed more downward curved, which I like a lot.

I thought it was reversed, rat tail went through and was thicker and partial tang, a stub basically and thinner didn't.

Steve Tall or Karda or just about anybody here (all smarter than I) will be along shortly I reckon to clarify.

Full tang can mean either the tang traverses the full length of the handle and peened at the keeper or that it is a slab style (chiruwa) grip. Both would be technically correct, but I usually use through tang and chiruwa to distinguish.

Rat tail could also be considered correct, but it paints a mental image of of the cheap throw away flea market junk with a thin threaded rod welded to the base of the blade instead of being forged. Lots of folks call the HI tang a Kangaroo or Croc tail tang since they are much thicker and are forged from a solid piece of steel.

Partial tangs usually refer to the knives with blades that don't go all the way through the handle and are either just epoxied or epoxied and pinned halfway down the handle (like the khuks with decorative faces carved in the butt). They are plenty strong, but probably not something you want to wail on all day every day.

Ndoghouse, does that work with horn though? I haven't worked with horn yet, so this is going to be new.

I'm going to review old posts tonight. I know you guys have talked about this before, I just skimmed it back then cuz I wasnt fixing a horn crack. Now I get try some epoxy or something.
I wouldnt use wood glue on horn. Epoxy in my opinion is best. Some have used ball point pen ink and some also I have heard use the powdered rit or clothing dye mixed with epoxy. If the crack is not very wide i dont even bother dying it. Clear in a black crack looks black no mater how you look at it anyway.

I merged the threads. Sorry about a bit of the double posts showing up:eek:

I wouldnt use wood glue on horn. Epoxy in my opinion is best. Some have used ball point pen ink and some also I have heard use the powdered rit or clothing dye mixed with epoxy. If the crack is not very wide i dont even bother dying it. Clear in a black crack looks black no mater how you look at it anyway.

I've used charcoal dust with good effect.

This dui chirra is very different from the previous Thamar dui chirras - the previous ones appeared to have three fullers, while Thamar's "Yek Chirra"s appeared to have two fullers, like this one has, but on the Yek Chirra I have, the fuller is quite different, and both of mine have more downward curve to the handles, which I really like:

My Thamar Yek Chirra:View attachment 480810

My Thamar Dui Chirra:View attachment 480811

That dui chirra is exactly what I have pictured in my mind as the perfect khukuri, but with neem or dhar handle. But jeez, what an exquisite specimen.

Full tang can mean either the tang traverses the full length of the handle and peened at the keeper or that it is a slab style (chiruwa) grip. Both would be technically correct, but I usually use through tang and chiruwa to distinguish.

Rat tail could also be considered correct, but it paints a mental image of of the cheap throw away flea market junk with a thin threaded rod welded to the base of the blade instead of being forged. Lots of folks call the HI tang a Kangaroo or Croc tail tang since they are much thicker and are forged from a solid piece of steel.

Partial tangs usually refer to the knives with blades that don't go all the way through the handle and are either just epoxied or epoxied and pinned halfway down the handle (like the khuks with decorative faces carved in the butt). They are plenty strong, but probably not something you want to wail on all day every day.

That's what I meant, a kangaroo or croc tail! Thanks Steely.

Missed out on the Dui Chirra. Probably for the best. That's what I'll tell myself.

A Dui Chirra will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.

Yep, I got it.

Just keep checking back Dan as I'm toothless for a while. The blade finds its owner.

I wonder who got the WWII @ such a great price. Its always been one of my favorite designs. The blade shape is really cool.

I agree with you Bob, my Thamar Dui Chirra seems to have 3 fullers, and the handle is indeed more downward curved, which I like a lot.

Mine looks just like yours and bobs except my handle is a little more curved. I noticed that ours are white metal and have a semi gloss shine where as the other one has brass and full polish.

My Thamar...
IMG_0731_zps749617d5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice knives how much are they worth?

The knives here on Deal of the day sell for anywhere from 50 to 200 or more BUT in my experience you get them in the mail and within a week or two they become priceless. You can't do this in the stock market.

Trouble is I can't part with any so for now they are like a 401k. And I'm ok with that.

Back