Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

Hammer Brand:
aUjRB7j.jpg

When I first got the vintage knife bug, I found another good pattern you can get for decent cost are the TL-29s / electrician knives. I'm sure all of these were less than $40 and is a mix of Ulster, Schrade Cut Co and Schrade Walden.

View attachment 1479061
TL-29s may be the knife I see most often, after the scout knives. Unlike the scout knives, I don't think I've seen a shell handled Imperial electrician.

The ring lock KUDU (on the bottom) has been in my cargo pants right cargo pocket since Monday. :)
Under $8 by a cent. I think that might qualify it a "thrifty" knife. :)
The FINN BEAR (on top) rides in my primary rollator walker. At under $15 or so retail, I'm pretty sure it qualifies as "thrifty".
(this one was a gift by a very generous member, so it was definitely "thrifty" for me.)

View attachment 1479200

The ring lock KUDU (on the bottom) has been in my cargo pants right cargo pocket since Monday. :)
The FINN BEAR (on top) rides in my primary rollator walker. At under $15 or so retail, I'm pretty sure it qualifies as "thrifty".
(this one was a gift by a very generous member, so it was definitely "thrifty" for me.)

View attachment 1479200
Cold Steel has had some good, thrifty, buys lately. $26 for both:
Cold Steel 2.JPG

A few of my thrifty goodies got a chance to justify their existence today. From top,
  1. Opened packaging for range hood power supply kit (knife was in my pocket when package arrived).
  2. Fit inside the cabinet where a regular screwdriver wouldn’t when installing range hood.
  3. Opened a can of tomato paste when the regular can opener failed to.

I usually set an arbitrary $10 threshold to qualify as a "thrifty" knife, but I'm going to violate that principle today. This Rough Rider stag canoe cost almost $14, but I call that a bargain, the best I ever had for a stag knife.
stag.canoe.mark.2open.jpg

- GT

View attachment 1479200
same thrifty's as last week. (yeah, I know I'm a boring S.O.B. ... or worse.)

I'll maybe change the ring lock Kudu for something else (slipjoint Kudu?) the first Thursday of 2021.
The FINN BEAR "lives" in my "Euro Style" primary rollator's tote/shopping bag, so it'll remain as part of my "edc", for at least the foreseeable yet to occur.... maybe even longer... (unless I swap it out for my Morakniv Number 1, currently residing in my ain't gotta seat gets stuck in/on a gravel parking lot and sand/dirt/mud/cold vile nasty slickery white stuff, 3 wheel secondary rollator's tote/shopping bag ....)

Last edited:
I usually set an arbitrary $10 threshold to qualify as a "thrifty" knife, but I'm going to violate that principle today. This Rough Rider stag canoe cost almost $14, but I call that a bargain, the best I ever had for a stag knife.
View attachment 1482746

- GT
I guess "thrifty" is a relative term... as a person that gathers mainly the vintage/antique knives, I look at prices of old jigged bone Case knives and Schrade Cut Co peachseed bone ones as the "expensive" side of things. So in that sense, $30 for a 100 year old A Kastor & Bros MOP knife is great in my eyes ;) I'm sure there are Case collectors that set a $100 threshold as "thrifty" for say a 1974 jigged bone canoe knife with the original "Indian in a Canoe" etch on the main clip blade. I'm interested in what other people's thoughts are on what they consider their "thrifty" threshold...

Back