Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

I seldom pay more than $50 for a knife, $75 is living large, for me. This Colonial Barlow came in a lot of four knives that cost about $20.

XgzjQr3.jpg

Who doesn't love a bargain?!! Thrifty is relative to the perceived value received, I think this is my favorite bargain of 2020. Seventeen dollars delivered. Perceived value... far...far higher! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
KX6gmQg.jpg

Happy New Year Friends and Bargain Hunters Alike! :)
sparerow

Last edited:
Older MOP manicure knives can be a thrifty pickup if you are patient enough... I got all these for around $30 each ;)

View attachment 1482727 View attachment 1482728 View attachment 1482729
Nice!
(The Argyle is especially interesting. I wonder how common it was to carve grooves in the pearl like that)
You can get them even cheaper, if you don't mind a few cracks and worn blades.
R99xyPI.jpg

WXC4rva.jpg

KaxvolR.jpg

Of course, they were probably relatively expensive when new.

Here's one I believe is still worth the nickel it probably cost back then. :p
Y4P2V54.jpg

Last edited:
Who doesn't love a bargain?!! Thrifty is relative to the perceived value received, I think this is my favorite bargain of 2020. Seventeen dollars delivered. Perceived value... far...far higher! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
KX6gmQg.jpg

Happy New Year Friends and Bargain Hunters Alike! :)
sparerow
I do agree about perceived value James, I look at each knife and weigh what it's realistically worth and what it's worth to me. Whenever I see a knife I like, I know pretty quickly how much I would be willing to pay for it and rarely will I stretch beyond that. On occasion, which happened yesterday, I will spend WAY more than I should BUT it was a knife I have been watching out for, for 5+ years It's pretty rare and was only produced from 1926 to 1928.

That purchase aside, I will say for me that thrifty buys are those knives that are "no brainer" bargains based on everything you know about the knife and how much you would like having it :D

That's not just a knife, it's a WALKING, TALKING, RED-HOT ADVERTISEMENT! :D
I still wonder whether any of those leather cases mentioned in the advertisement have survived. It isn’t the most comfortable knife in the pocket (or the hand, for that matter.) Belonged to my grandfather, so I've only carried it once (very carefully.)

Nice!
(The Argyle is especially interesting. I wonder how common it was to carve grooves in the pearl like that)
You can get them even cheaper, if you don't mind a few cracks and worn blades.
R99xyPI.jpg

WXC4rva.jpg

KaxvolR.jpg

Of course, they were probably relatively expensive when new.

Here's one I believe is still worth the nickel it probably cost back then. :p
Y4P2V54.jpg
Check out the "groovy" MOP on these two also ;)

UNITED-1A.JPG UNITED-1C.JPG CLARK-1D.JPG

I still wonder whether any of those leather cases mentioned in the advertisement have survived. It isn’t the most comfortable knife in the pocket (or the hand, for that matter.) Belonged to my grandfather, so I've only carried it once (very carefully.)
If you have your grandfather's knife, then it's priceless.
So groovy!

Do knives received as a gift count as being "thrifty"?
(My gut feeling is "no".)

Only if they were "thrifty" before they were gifted.
My intent for the thread was not about the price paid, but rather looking for those inexpensively built knives.
Thankee for the clarification. :D

I believe this is one of the most inexpensively constructed knives I have.
Under the $10.99 "inexpensive" price point, as well. :D
Stanley 10-499 retractable blade box knife/utility knife.
Cast pig iron handle, one or two small piece a stamped tin, a couple pieces of molded nylon, a single screw to hold it all together, and a little paint. (not necessary to disassemble to change blades, either, and can store up to five fresh blades in the handle. :D

Not in my pocket anymore, but it does "live" with-in reach in my pencil/pen cup, on my desk.
View attachment 1486834
(No. The yellow is the factory paint color. I like it better than the normal gray/silver. Easier to see if you set it down somewhere on the jobsite.)

That looks handy. :cool::thumbsup:

Thankee for the clarification.
But then again, I'm not a thread Nazi and people can post what they want.
When I think "thrifty", I think of the old Imperial knives. They were made well but also cheap. I also think of others like Rough Ryder, Old Timer, and Colonial. All are supposed to be well made but were released as "pocket book friendly". At least that's what I think of when I think "Thrifty". :D

Last edited:
Back