Thrifty Thursday... Cheap Traditional Knives

I don't know what happened there. My message inbox is no-where near full.:confused:

What is BLO, i'm not all that smart when it comes to wood finishes.:eek:;).

It's Boiled Linseed Oil. Or you can certainly put your choice of oil. I have some Walnut Oil and Beeswax mix for cutting board conditioning, I may try that as well...
And I guess some leather conditioner, Snoseal or equivalent, for the sheath would really set it up nice. The steel is 1066, so a good forced patina will be in order!

It's Boiled Linseed Oil. Or you can certainly put your choice of oil. I have some Walnut Oil and Beeswax mix for cutting board conditioning, I may try that as well...
And I guess some leather conditioner, Snoseal or equivalent, for the sheath would really set it up nice. The steel is 1066, so a good forced patina will be in order!
Sounds like you have all bases covered.:thumbsup:. Looking forward to a post of your finished work.:).

Great coloring and looks on that one, GT!:cool:
Very cool looker, Gary! I like it!:):thumbsup:

Not real thrifty, but a great knife for under $30, including a decent leather sheath. From Croatia.
c3NNCkb.jpg
Good to see you here, Dennis! :):cool::cool:
Thanks for the kind comments on a couple of my Rough Riders. :) My first RRs were amber jigged bone, and I still go for those covers when I get a chance.
I'm not a fixed blade guy, so I don't know nuthin, but your Croatian knife looks good to me! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

- GT

Found this knife down at Dad's. I'm guessing it came from one of my uncles or somebody else gave it to him, because it is not his type of knife. Or maybe it just caught his fancy while standing in line at the gas station. Anyway it says "Commando" on one side, and "China" on the other. Its around 4.25 inches long closed. The burl wood is pretty nice and lockup is solid with no play at all. Not a bad cheap knife.
commando 1.JPGcommando 2.JPG

That's a nice one, Todd! :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: How big is it?
I like sowbelly stockman examples, and that RR midnight swirl is sort of a guilty pleasure (even though I've given away the examples I had).

- GT
😁 I know you love your sowbelly stockmans Gary, I was thinking of you this morning when I selected this one! It’s 3.25” and has a nice depth to the covers, as I’m sure you already know. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in any other cover material, have you?

Back