Throwing away the boxes

halden.doerge

I'll Sharpen Your Knife
Gold Member
So for those of us who have been in the CRK collecting-using-selling-buying-ever-renewing cycle for a while now, we all know the importance of "comes with box, birthcard, accessories, and all original paperwork..."

But here's my question, after a few years of this I'm getting to where I have a few where it's like, you know what, I'm throwing away the box. That's how much I know that this one is going nowhere and I'll be using it for the duration.

Anyone else have this experience? What are your 'toss the box" CRKs, if any?

Keep it. If not you're throwing away money... either with the knife, as tastes change, or other collectors will buy them, or at the least need one or 2 for CRK's bought without box! I know I need a few! Bart

I was going to say that I've seen just CRK boxes for sale before ... I didn't pay attention to the prices ... but evidentally people buy the boxes.

I keep all the boxes. If you have the room it’s worth keeping in my opinion. Keeps the complete package if you know what I’m saying. I find it interesting also the box changes throughout the years. It adds to the history of the knife.

I have had many knives that I thought I would never sell that landed up in the exchange for one reason or another, so I would keep the boxes unless it is a burden. You just never know what the future has in store and with box is going to be worth more even on a user.
I am not familiar with all the boxes, but the earlier ones could be broken down.

What you have does make a difference as to the importance of the box. The difference between a user PJ with or without box is minimal, but something special like a Stars and Stripes or mammoth bark could have a much bigger effect.

Last edited:
I keep all my knife boxes, even on the ones that I know I’ll never sell.........today. But every once in a while someone comes along wanting a user CRK, and if I’m in the right mood, I’ll cave in and pass along a user. It’s nice when a newcomer gets a complete CRK knife. Besides, it’s the only way I get to use one of the many CRK’s I have ;)
At one time, I had three left handed serrated 21’s. I just knew I’d never part with them, sold the user and a classic. Now here I am with one new one that has made it into rotation. Doubt I’ll sell the last one I have, but, never say never.

I would keep em just to take cool pictures of all the knife boxes that I have... make a tower out of them or something :D:p

I don’t have that many yet though...

I agree with you, you don’t want those boxes, just send them to me!

I’m just kidding.

Someday down the road you will want those boxes as you may decide to pass a knife or two to a family member or friend, and it’s very cool to include the original box if you decide to pass a CRK forward.

I keep all boxes on all knives I buy. Like some have said, I’ve sold knives at one time I never thought I would. I personally wouldn’t want to purchase a knife that wasn’t complete. Not saying I wouldn’t but I would much prefer it to have everything. I don’t even use lanyards but I would want it.

If I’m shopping the secondary market, the box takes a very distant third to condition and price. It’s kinda nice to have the box and goodies, but I won’t pay a premium for it.

That said, I can’t bring myself to throw away boxes from knives and guns.
I underwent an interstate household move recently. In the end, I couldn’t ditch them.
The CRK boxes will be the last to go, if the day ever arises.
My main justification is that I see my CRK’S as potential heirloom pieces—even if they’re banged up. How cool would it be to get Grandpa’s old knife in it’s original box!
I suppose it’s romanticism. In reality, it’s probably ridiculous.

I keep all boxes for anything over say $50. No doubt it helps with resale value.

I of course also keep all my boxes, on anything I’m considering reselling. I guess I just wondered if anyone’s had the experience of coming to view a CRK as actually a permanent, lifelong possession.

Sounds like not so much.

I think regardless of selling it is nice to keep the complete set.
Doesn't seem Chris thought so. I believe it was in Exquisite Blade, where he said he chose the plain white box because it was cheap and everyone was just going to throw them away.

I have 5 CRK folders and 2 fixed blades that someone will get after I'm gone ... so definately I have some knives CRK included that I consider permanate fixtures for sure.

Back