Thrust Bearings vs Bronze Washers

Dumb question, but I'm new to all this, so please forgive me.

Is "thrust bearings" just a fancy marketing name for phosphor bronzer washers, or is there an actual difference between the two?

I could open my knife up to find out, but that would void the warranty.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, they're fundamentally different. I wouldn't call a thrust bearing an upgrade though. I prefer washers personally. Generally not quite as smooth but require less maintenance.

Thrust bearings in knives have lots of little parts, similar to ball bearings, while bronze washers are a form of "plain bearing" which is far simpler, just a flat disc with a hole in the center.

Proper terms are 'bronze bushing' or 'friction bearing ' as opposed to 'ball bearing' or 'roller bearing ' .A thrust bearing is a bearing designed to deal with thrust forces parallel to the shaft.

Thrust bearings can be ball or roller.IIRC the rollers of big thrust bearings can weigh 5 pounds !! => for your BIG knives !!

Thanks to everyone for the clarification. I either misunderstood something said in a YouTube video or didn't realize it was said in sarcasm. I get it now :)

Thanks again.

What knife do you have? Here's some visualization for you...

I've witnessed these being referred to as "thrust" or "roller" bearings:
0_128f89_e89d0e44_L.jpg

I've also witnessed these being referred to as "thrust" or "caged" bearings (caged being more common):
knife-pivot-bearings-knife-technology-explained-7.jpg

IKBS (note how the balls are loose):
IKBS$20How$20To$20024.jpg

And in sure you know what a washer looks like;):D

BB,retainer is proper , cage is common. Those rollers are straight , the big ones are tapered .

Just to keep you guys on the straight an narrow !

Proper terms are 'bronze bushing' or 'friction bearing ' as opposed to 'ball bearing' or 'roller bearing ' .A thrust bearing is a bearing designed to deal with thrust forces parallel to the shaft.
Thrust forces parallel to the shaft lol

The bearings used in most knives like ZT's are thrust bearings by design even if not being used in a "thrust" application. And, they consist on ball bearings in a bearing cage/retainer so, they are indeed a form of ball bearings.

BB,retainer is proper , cage is common. Those rollers are straight , the big ones are tapered .

Just to keep you guys on the straight an narrow !

Thanks Mete, I like the term "retainer" better:thumbup:

I assume you're talking about these being the tapered ones?

5524dc04cb437swami.jpg

The bearings used in most knives like ZT's are thrust bearings by design even if not being used in a "thrust" application. And, they consist on ball bearings in a bearing cage/retainer so, they are indeed a form of ball bearings.

You're arguing with a metallurgist.

Don't do that...

Thanks Mete, I like the term "retainer" better:thumbup:

I assume you're talking about these being the tapered ones?

5524dc04cb437swami.jpg

You're arguing with a metallurgist.

Don't do that...

What does metallurgy have to do with bearing types? Yes, they are made of metal lol. I am a mechanic and have a lot of experience with bearings. I also took a metallurgy coarse in college(not that credentials are necessarily important). I was not arguing, just clarifying. Run a search of thrust bearings and you will see that they are what we are talking about even if they are not being used in a thrust application in this case.

What does metallurgy have to do with bearing types? Yes, they are made of metal lol. I am a mechanic and have a lot of experience with bearings. I also took a metallurgy coarse in college(not that credentials are necessarily important). I was not arguing, just clarifying. Run a search of thrust bearings and you will see that they are what we are talking about even if they are not being used in a thrust application in this case.

So you're a mechanic who knows how to use google? Gotcha...

Next time I need plumbing advise, I'll ask you first:thumbup:

Nah BB!! Ask me!!! I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!

So you're a mechanic who knows how to use google? Gotcha...

Next time I need plumbing advise, I'll ask you first:thumbup:

I was telling you to run a search. I already know what thrust bearings are because I have worked with them many times before and went to school.

I would be happy to help you with plumbing advise if needed. I do a lot of general contracting as well:thumbup:

I was telling you to run a search. I already know what thrust bearings are because I have worked with them many times before and went to school.

I would be happy to help you with plumbing advise if needed. I do a lot of general contracting as well:thumbup:

Oh yeah! I remember you now...

You're the "trust me, I went to college" guy. I went to college too, but you should never trust me:D

Oh yeah! I remember you now...

You're the "trust me, I went to college" guy. I went to college too, but you should never trust me:D

If that's what you want to call me:). I will take your advice, you seem to be a bit grumpy and looking for conflict. I am just hear for some good conversation about knives and to learn, I'm not looking to argue. Good day to you sir:thumbup:

Thrust bearing:

1468174512.267.jpg

PB Washer:

1468174592.0007.jpg

Same purpose, just a different way of doing it, with different pro's and con's....

Back