Thumbstud Mod: Step by Step Instructions

LightGuy

Gold Member
Needed!

I need to do a couple of things to make this the perfect folder (for me). One is to get rid of the blue accents, and it's in CRK's hands as we speak to swap out the blue parts for silver.

Second is to flatten out the pointy thumbstud to improve comfort as some of you have done yourselves. However, I'm more than just a little uncomfortable with guessing how I need to go about this. This is a top shelf knife, and I don't want to cheapen it with an amature-ish modding job..

Can anyone provide good step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Based on the fact that several have done this and I've seen the pointy thumbstud mentioned several times, this might be useful to others as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
What do you want to achieve? For example, simply grind it down and leave a flat surface or smooth out the point and keep it contoured?

A flat surface - exactly like this (borrowed from bunghole's post):

5426445353_8db02241ec_z.jpg

I was thinking about doing something like this but instead of having the top
just flat I would want to leave it slanted so its in a ramp shape. I think this would
give you more traction when pushing the blade out of the detent hole.

I was thinking about doing something like this but instead of having the top
just flat I would want to leave it slanted so its in a ramp shape. I think this would
give you more traction when pushing the blade out of the detent hole.

That's not a bad idea. But I think it will be plenty easy to open this way, and it has a nice clean look to it like the rest of the knife. I'd be afraid of how the ramp version would turn out. This one's just perfect IMO. And, it's been done successfully..

Step 1 - Grind it off flat until you have gone as far as you want.

Step 2 - Polish flat surface.

After making my thumb sore from opening my Sebenza so many times, I realized I could open it better if I just used my thumbnail. Basically, I push from the bottom right side of the stud with my thumbnail touching the blade. Opening like this, I don't even feel the thumbstud until the blade is almost fully open. It's hard to describe what I'm talking about. Would be better if I could post a video, but for all I know, there are a lot of folks that open it the same way.

FAQ Can you give us some insight as to why
the thumb stud was chosen for the Sebenza over a disk or hole format?

Chris designed the thumb lug that we use on the Sebenza to open the knife efficiently yet be unobtrusive. Bear in mind that design is a whole package - how the knife (or any other product!) looks, balanced with how it functions.
It seems that quite a few Sebenza owners have trouble with the lug and the main reason is that they have a tendency to push down on the lug instead of using a sideways sweeping motion to open the knife. Used as intended, our thumb lug works as well or better than any out there!

- Anne Reeve, 10/16/98

This is in the FAQ. If your thumb hurts your opening it wrong. Check out this video on how the thumb stud works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXu6dVRCOE

Last edited:
Step 1 - Grind it off flat until you have gone as far as you want.

Step 2 - Polish flat surface.

Thanks, but I already got that much from Bunghole. I need at least some level of detail to get it done right. What do I use to "grind it off"? (file (if so what kind), dremmel, what disk, how to get it and keep it level while grinding, etc..)

Polishing is easy - no additional detail needed there.

Last edited:
FAQ Can you give us some insight as to why
the thumb stud was chosen for the Sebenza over a disk or hole format?

Chris designed the thumb lug that we use on the Sebenza to open the knife efficiently yet be unobtrusive. Bear in mind that design is a whole package - how the knife (or any other product!) looks, balanced with how it functions.
It seems that quite a few Sebenza owners have trouble with the lug and the main reason is that they have a tendency to push down on the lug instead of using a sideways sweeping motion to open the knife. Used as intended, our thumb lug works as well or better than any out there!

- Anne Reeve, 10/16/98

This is in the FAQ. If your thumb hurts your opening it wrong

Sorry, I'm not buying that. You can't pass off a design issue (for some) as the ignorance of a number of knife fanatics who own or have owned a multitude of knives. I'm pretty sure we know how to properly open a folder...nice try though! If the design is such that you have to release a formal "FAQ" to tell you how to properly open it, that might be a sign that a small modification to the thumbstud design might be in order. Just my thoughts of course..

I admit the thumbstud looks like a little "jewel" all sharp and blue, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the area of ergonomics..

Taking nothing away from the Sebenza though...this knife is as perfect as a knife can get IMO. Why not go to the trouble of doing a minor mod if it makes it even better for me? This is a hobby after all...

Last edited:
If you really want to ruin the thumb stud and de-value your knife. Here is how you do it, use a dremel with a grinding stone. Tape all around the stud in case you slip. Protect all of that side of the knife. Grind a little at a time, until you remove the material you want to. Then polish the stud. Good Luck

If you really want to ruin the thumb stud and de-value your knife. Here is how you do it, use a dremel with a grinding stone. Tape all around the stud in case you slip. Protect all of that side of the knife. Grind a little at a time, until you remove the material you want to. Then polish the stud. Good Luck

Well for me, it would be fixing the thumb stud, but I grant you it will de-value the knife. Fortunately for me I am not a collector, just a user. This is the perfect user knife - I can't see ever putting it up for sale anyway..

Thanks much for the additional detail. I've got a dremmel, and hopefully very steady hands...I guess I'll just try taking off a tiny bit at a time and tape everything up like you mentioned.

I'll post pics when I get it done.

I personaly am not a huge fan of the regular thumb stud on the Sebenza although it works fine I just don't like the domed look and also don't like the stud on one side. (CRK offer double studs but they are not standard) I just changed mine to a BM mini grip stud and that has worked very nicely for me. The studs on the Sebenza are just pressed in so they are easy to remove. There is really no need to try and polish, file or grind it while still on the blade, if that's what you want to do. :):thumbup:

Sorry, I'm not buying that. You can't pass off a design issue (for some) as the ignorance of a number of knife fanatics who own or have owned a multitude of knives. I'm pretty sure we know how to properly open a folder...nice try though! If the design is such that you have to release a formal "FAQ" to tell you how to properly open it, that might be a sign that a small modification to the thumbstud design might be in order. Just my thoughts of course..

I admit the thumbstud looks like a little "jewel" all sharp and blue, but it leaves a lot to be desired in the area of ergonomics.

What do you think Chris Reeve has been doing the past 25 years? Ignoring the knife industry? :rolleyes:

The lugs work fine for me, I have no issue with them. Sure if you sit around and open and close it all day your thumb will hurt. The solution is don't fidget with it. When you want to open it, press down and sweep out.

Did you just use a punch to remove the Sebbie thumbstud? How did you get the BM stud to fit?

I wouldn't use a dremel but that's just me. I would use a flat file, sandpaper on a hard flat block, the platen of a belt sander. A tiny grinding wheel on a dremel would be, imo, hard to make a perfectly flat surface.

I say, whether the design works for some or not, it is your knife and do what you want. Especially if it will improve the level of comfort for YOU.

Although I will say my thumb never gets sore from opening any of my sebenzas no matter how many times. There really is a way to use these studs. But that is not what this thread is about so that is enough about that imo.

What do you think Chris Reeve has been doing the past 25 years? Ignoring the knife industry? :rolleyes:

The lugs work fine for me, I have no issue with them. Sure if you sit around and open and close it all day your thumb will hurt. The solution is don't fidget with it. When you want to open it, press down and sweep out.

Wow - being just a little sensitive aren't we? I'm glade the lugs work fine for you Josh.

Now you may want to sit down for this, but you probably should be aware that not everything about a Chris Reeve knife is perfect in every way for every person. Yes, they are fantastic knives, which is why I spent over $330 of my hard-earned money on one, and feel that it is worth every penny.

But, just because one tiny feature on the knife isn't perfect for me (as well as plenty of others), doesn't mean I sit around opening and closing it like a dope, or am just generally ignorant about how to do it properly.

And by the way, I don't think even Chris Reeve himself thinks his knife designs are perfect in every way for every person. I'm sure he knows there are personal opinions, and respects them. I doubt he would be near as defensive as you on this one...

I wouldn't use a dremel but that's just me. I would use a flat file, sandpaper on a hard flat block, the platen of a belt sander. A tiny grinding wheel on a dremel would be, imo, hard to make a perfectly flat surface.

Thanks richstag - I'm actually thinking the same thing. I think I'll go out and find a very fine file and just take my time with it by hand.

Back