Ti Lite Trouble

Just picked up a XHP 4" Ti Lite, gorgeous knife, bit can't flip it open. Don't really use the wave. Don't see any lint. If I loosen pivot then blade wobbles, rubs. Open to suggestions. My Kizer and Kershaws flip like a dream.

It's not a flipper. You can sort of get a purchase on the "quillions" but it's gonna cost you some skin if you want to flip it.

I avoid that knife, whats the point of it, cool factor? Every one of their other models are much more functional. I put the Ti-Lite in league with the Paradox, TBH.

I really like tilite. But it's not a flipper for sure. If you are referring to "flicking " the knife open, the placement of the thumbstud isn't really suited for that. Just open the knife normally and u'll be fine. Unless you have a special use case where you really have to flick the knife open.

Last edited:
I have been able to loosen the pivot screw just enough to allow flicking with the wrist but not allow bladeplay.
If you can not achieve the right balance, then use the thumbstud to start then flick. It' not a flipper.

Yes, it's a "cool" knife in the Italian Stiletto style tradition and an excellent design for stabbing, slicing fruit and
opening letters. True, not as generally useful a design as many other knives.
I have the Seki made one with VG1 and Titanium handle from around 2005.

Try using the thumb stud a little differently.
Phil designed that knife with a really small "arc" of rotation for the thumb opening. Instead of rolling it open like most other folders, try pushing in a "flipping a coin" movement with your thumb. It'll snap open lightning fast. It takes some getting used to, and it's easier to demonstrate than explain in test, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great knife and very easy to use

Phil designed that knife with a really small "arc" of rotation for the thumb opening. Instead of rolling it open like most other folders, try pushing in a "flipping a coin" movement with your thumb. It'll snap open lightning fast. It takes some getting used to, and it's easier to demonstrate than explain in test, but once you get the hang of it, it's a great knife and very easy to use

Exactly. I have the 6" aluminum and that beast flicks open at light speed with no wrist flicking at all. Amazing design.

I agree it takes some getting use to, but once you get it, the Ti Lite is one of the fastest smoothest "flicker" I've tried, almost as if it was an assist or auto. It always amazed me how my 30 bucks zytel Ti Lite deploy smoother and faster than some folders costing 4 or 5 times more... Thinking of getting the aluminum XHP Ti-Lite 6 soon...

The older ti-lite I have I'm not impressed with. Came with rock-lock out of the box and it was totally out of lockup. Wasn't ever able to get an email back from cold steel. Have 3 of their other knives that don't have many issues like that, seems like the Ti-Lite is problematic quality wise.

Moderator yes your 'flipping the coin' suggestion works. Thx. I just thought the threaded protrusion opposite the wave would allow me to flip it open as well.

Yeah, lol the Mod's suggestion and jonnyfgroove's assurance of it makes that knife more interesting to me. Lil pigsticker... One day, perhaps...

Wish cavity around stud was a little bigger, flicking works, but not always, as thumb glides over area , not enough gap preceding stud to position thumb.

Last edited:
Wish cavity around dtud was a little bigger, flicking works, but not always, as thumb glides over area , not enough gap preceding stud to position thumb.

It kinda hard for this kind of knife, since you only got less than 1 inch of handle width to work with. The thumb stud is also already more than 1/3 of the blade width. It comes with prices, that's why most of the stiletto designs are auto.

However I still wish CS would produce a triad loct stiletto. I own the Counter Point and they are nothing like a tilite at all. It's more like a folding taipan. If you like a wider dagge blade, it's worth considering.

Wish cavity around stud was a little bigger, flicking works, but not always, as thumb glides over area , not enough gap preceding stud to position thumb.

Try to get the meat of your thumb into/behind the stud and keep doing the "coin flip" technique. Soon it will be second nature. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The older ti-lite I have I'm not impressed with. Came with rock-lock out of the box and it was totally out of lockup. Wasn't ever able to get an email back from cold steel.
I'm sorry you had problems with your knife.
There is no time limit associated with our warranty and it covers defects in materials and craftsmanship
Give our team a call at 800 255 4716 - maybe they can help you

Moderator yes your 'flipping the coin' suggestion works. Thx. I just thought the threaded protrusion opposite the wave would allow me to flip it open as well.

I'm glad that helped.
No, it's not a flipper. I find I can open it fast from the pocket with the "pocket snag" feature or fast from the hand with that "coin flip" use of the thumb stud. If need be I can also inertia open it with a snap of the wrist. I've also just used two hands and flicked the quillion with my left hand to open the knife... there are a few options, but using the knife as a flipper sadly isn't one of them
All four of the ways I describe are (at least for me) fast, repeatable and reliable.
I think the more you play with your Ti-Lite the more you'll grow to love it.
I've owned four of them over the years and I still carry one often.
One of my all time favorite knives

That worked for me as did combining a forefinger flick to get the blade partway out followed by a flick of the wrist.

i have one and i like the stiletto influenced design...but the lock rides all the way over and only the flat front of the lock bar stays on the blade tang and the detent ball sitting on the other side of the liner, keeps the lock from failing. maybe it's designed that way? and normally i don 't mind later lockup on liners and frame locks, but this one worries me.

I have an older ti-lite with the titanium handle that I recently had refurbished. Maybe things have changed, but a push/pull of the thumb on the quillion in a short, tight arc makes for a fast open that ends in a solid grip--woodworking has fortunately given me tough thumbs. It's also really fun and makes me feel like James Dean as an added perk. The ti is a great knife and sandwich fixings everywhere fear me when it's in my pocket.

Yeah, "Flipping a coin" is a great way to explain it.
Another good analogy would be it's like snapping your fingers.

It takes a bit of practice to get the thumb stud to get the blade partially deployed, then flicking your wrist.

I have the 4" Ti-Lite with the Zytel handle that I bought about 18 months and it has that "Coolness Factor"

I rarely carry it, but when I do it's when I'm dressed well and out and about with a lady friend or looking to make some new ones.

To make it flip open quickly and easily, I loosened the pivot to the right spot - fast opening, but no blade wobble.
I used some Blue Loc-Tite to keep the pivot screw from coming loose and I also used some lubricant that is used on fishing reels but can't think of the name of it right now, but the blade flys open.

It's a light knife and it doesn't "print" your clothing like a larger knife would.

It's a limited use knife but it has the cool factor and is good if you want to carry an "elegant" looking knife in a discreet manner.
I have a Spyderco Civi and just got my Black Talon II today, and those are strictly SD knives so I didn't mind paying a few bucks for a great looking knife even though it has a very limited use as an EDC or an SD knife.

The older AUS-8A versions like mine are going for about $40.00 or, maybe even less.

Back