Ti Native 5 bladeplay from backlock.

My titanium Native 5 has up and down bladeplay that I think is coming from the backlock.

It's just a tiny amount of play, but it bothers me, and I can't seem to adjust it away.

Is this a common thing with Native 5's? My titanium Chapparal does not have any play at all.

Common thing with just about every Spyderco lockback. Lucky on your Chap

If it's a new knife I'd send it back to the dealer for an exchange. If it's been used, I'd contact Spyderco to see if it is covered under warranty.

A slight amount of "play" on a backlock is normal. It is necessary for the lock to function properly.

Your claim that your Chaparral has "no play" is interesting.

Is it play you notice with a light, casual wiggle of the blade tip or more on the "only noticeable when you try to muscle the blade like it owes you money" end of the spectrum?

I've read that Spyderco has improved their back-lock design to reduce or eliminate blade play issues, however this was only implemented on newer models. Any truth to this?

The Chap uses an internal stop so zero play is the norm for that model.
The Native 5 has no stop but the tolerances are so tight that many have no play.

You can usually muscle a tiny bit of play from lock backs, even the triad lock, it's not normal "blade play" it's just the faces of the lock bar tooth and the notch in the tang that it sits in bedding against each other with some small wiggle room as they get muscled around. Also sometimes the small bit of slack is in the pivot hole or the stop pin hole, all depends on tolerances. It does not mean it's going to slip out and fail like a frame lock by any stretch of the imagination, it's just part of the mechanism. Don't stress and enjoy it.

Is it play you notice with a light, casual wiggle of the blade tip or more on the "only noticeable when you try to muscle the blade like it owes you money" end of the spectrum?

Somewhere between 700-800 grams I can feel it moving. I used a scale.

I forgot about the internal stop pins on the Chapparal. Taichung Spyderco's are spoiling me.

It's good to know it's not out of the ordinary.

Back