Tick Bites, Meat allergy

All allergies are a continuum. And in fact there is some really interesting research in regards to treating peanut allergies with peanuts, and getting the body used to the proteins again. The wide view stats show that when schools went peanut free, the rates of peanut anaphylactic level allergies went up, and that's even controlling for detection rates, and all that. Given time we will learn what is the best course of action in these cases, and how the actual mechanism goes. It certainly is an interesting one since it doesn't follow a lot of the "rules" of allergies, and yet is very classic in others.

Well, I have certainly broken the doctors list often in the last 6 years, especially consuming low fat red meat. I follow my sense of what works and I guess I'll know before the end of the year what my alpha-gal sensitivity remains. I am honestly not very concerned about it at this point or I would have had followup blood test done over the 6 year time span. The other tests that the allergist showed essentially no reaction to most of the usual foods and allergy items. I guess it will be interesting to see the results. My allergist made no suggestions on continuing testing. But that was early after the issue was identified. We'll see.

Edit: Decided not to bother with the allergy testing around Christmas. Maybe I'll do it next year. Not a big priority at this point. Life goes on.

Last edited:
22-rimfire 22-rimfire your doctor prescribed you "Cetirizine" which has the ingredient "magnesium sterate" in it which is made from red meat. Also has lactose.
I don't really care as long as the medicine did not cause a allergic reaction with me. You see, when I got alpha-gal, it was considered "forever" and my concern was living as normal a life as I could possibly have with some dietary restrictions. So, far it has worked. So, if I can eat certain kinds of meat without issue, it's a win for me. I have adjusted to this and primarily eat chicken and pork these days in terms of meat. But there are a few red meat dishes that I eat on a regular basis and will continue to do so until I have a reaction. I mostly pay attention to how greasy the stuff is. My initial reaction was with very greasy (swiss steak type dish) that I ate a lot of. The gravy contains a lot of grease.... that's what gravy is for the most part.

My main concern was simply not eating something that would result in the severe meat allergy reaction. If it happened, I'd deal with it. It has been 6 years..... I am comfortable with my decisions.

Some are claiming hearing loss I read? I have that and it came on quite suddenly.

Last edited:
many thanks for the comments ! my Doc told me that more and more nutrition supplements and drugs are being bought by Investment companies which usually care only
about profits for their members. PA has a good group to get Lyme info to Docs . I did give up hunting and hiking but saw a tick come under the front door ! Ticks love carbohydrates ,especially alcohol . Keep up the research and spread the word Even here , in a Lyme hotspot ,there are many who know little about Lyme .

BTW allergies and Lyme both cane have anything as a reaction. I met a fellow who became allergic to tomato - a small glass of tomato juice and he would loose his color vision for a while. Beware the word "typical symptoms "

Last edited:
I've got an allergy that I've only found one other person with, and only managed to find one reference to a case study that shared my symptoms. So yeah, typical is sometimes misleading. Life is a bell curve, and some of us are out on the edges.

....If you had Alpha-gal its not an either or thing, all red meat has the sugar that makes your immune system react. My milk is greater than my red meat, but only by a few points. When/if your numbers are at zero you can eat meat again, unless you get bitten by another tick carrier.
You always seem to say "IF" I had alpha gal. It does not have to be a "all red meat" absence. Some react to ALL meat and not just red meat. I consider myself fortunate. I had zero reaction to milk by the way. We deal with things in our own way. I was all caught up with this 5-6 years ago. Now I'm kind of not real concerned unless I am forced into a heavy red meat eating diet such as might happen if you are "living off the land". Do I like this? Hell No. Does it change my life much at this point? Nope. I just pay attention and I know the symptoms if I am having a reaction. I have no other serious allergies although since we got cats I know I have a slight allergy to cat dander. That usually happens if the cat decides it wants to sleep on my pillow that I use and I don't realize it.... big intake of cat dander all at once and my body doesn't like it. Now I cover the pillows on the bed so the cats can not do this without stripping off the covers.

Back