Tidings and the return of Schatt and Morgan?

Let's hope they are testers...it's far from whetting my appetite :eek:

That crap Halberd shield...kind of gothic kitsch;) Well it won't be a Conqueror of this William :D

Thanks, Will

What was wrong with the S X M shield? They have an axe to grind with someone? Just looking at the pictures I'm guessing Stevie Wonder did the grinding and Jose Feliciano the QC. If this is what they're going to put on the market, it will be a one sentence paragraph in the S & M history! Honestly, I have Chinese made knives that probably are better than these.

Looking extremely suspect....grinds are definitely NOT crisp on those fixed blades. Folders not much better. Hopefully they can figure it out and make some good products.

The positive thing is to look hopeful, but based on the pics posted hopeful has to step up It's game. Varying faults throughout the samples.

Russell

I first saw these over on IG, and at a glance, they looked promising. Seeing bigger pictures with some clear flaws, I had to chuckle because a lot of those knives look exactly like old S&M products. Maybe this is just the best those old machines that gentleman bought can do?

That said, I'm definitely getting one of those silly "Conqueror" coke-bottles. Silly shields? Always love those. And it's a coke-bottle? Sign me up.

Haha, sweet axe shield. Maybe they'll do a whole series... nunchucks, sais, katanas, etc. Medieval weaponry galore. Kinda like those Winchesters knives with all the different rifle shields.

That's what they reminded me off also. They look unfinished.
I was thinking in the other direction really, they look overly finished to me. Looks to me like they tried to correct using too coarse belts for final grinding by buffing the living daylights out of them. Everything is too "melted" looking to me. You cant buff out mistakes, it only makes them more glaringly obvious imo.

I was thinking in the other direction really, they look overly finished to me. Looks to me like they tried to correct using too coarse belts for final grinding by buffing the living daylights out of them. Everything is too "melted" looking to me. You cant buff out mistakes, it only makes them more glaringly obvious imo.

I see what you mean. I guess it just looks like there should be more to them. They look like blades that had the handle part dipped in plastic and called finished.

It's hard for me to discern what's down to sup-optimal lighting and what's just plain not good, at least on the fixed blades. At first glance I thought the fixies didn't even have their edge bevels ground -- and I'm still not positive. The grinding work on the folders, though... :oops:

Lets face it they're not competing in the average Joe knife buying market. At this point as far as traditional knives go that market is dominated by Rough Rider, BTI Schrade, Marbles ect on the low to middle end, and Case and Buck and Boker on the high end. I don't see them having the resources or manpower to break into that market. Companies such as GEC,Albers,Tuna Valley,Cripple Creek market to a smaller more selective market, in effect knives for dedicated knife knuts. And we're a picky bunch and expect a certain quality from knives in this segment. I think this is the market the new owners of the S&M brand are going for. Breaking into a niche market where the buyers are knowledgeable and expect a certain quality you better be ready to deliver. I still hope for them success, and that they'll improve from what little I have seen so far. But they're going to have to be ready for stern criticism, and be willing to listen to their customers. I don't know what their projected prices will be,considering that stabber jack has what looks to be mammoth covers not cheap I imagine. Honestly I rarely can afford GEC, even though I know they quality is there. But I damn sure ain't paying GEC prices for Bear&Sons quality o_O
Here's hoping they got thick skin and are prepared for honest opinions and will do what it takes to make a fine knife.

You guys are being too negative about a product you’ve never held in your hand nor know it’s price. Trial by internet before a crime’s been committed.

You guys are being too negative about a product you’ve never held in your hand nor know it’s price. Trial by internet before a crime’s been committed.
I don't have to hold one to see the grinds on those throwing knife looking fixed blades are atrocious. I've seen knives from Pakistan with better grinds honestly. Unless they're going to sell those at 10 bucks apiece I can't see them being worth it based on the picture. The stabber jack may have great walk'n'talk I honestly don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a knife with mammoth ivory covers for under 100 bucks,you telling me you would pay 100 dollars for it? At this time the blade grind on it isn't up to a standard that I'd pay 20 bucks for honestly.
I am interested in the large swell center, except for the gaudy blade etch. The shield doesn't bother me in the least,I'm one of the guys that like weird shields anyway. But the etch I personally dont like but otherwise it looks decent. I would be interested in a more plain version of that knife, for the right price.

Back