Tigerstripe coating...

I read about your tigerstripe coating but haven't seen it at all. I know that I must wait for pics, but I was wondering if in the mean time you could explain it a little?
Thanks.

------------------
"Come What May..."

The black coating is a byproduct of the heat treat. The black stuff is bead blasted off to create that look.

New and older WB :

wb-side.jpg

-Cliff

Hey thanks for your help guys....
There is another great photo of our tiger stripes on the "some scans" post.

Thanks again

MS

E-Wok, Cliff, thank-you very much. Thanks especially for those pics!

Congratulations to you Mick for comming up with an attractive use for heat treat scale!!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Its all luck really...
The cool thing is that it lasts longer than a coating would. Because your not adding anything. Your taking it away. Plus you get some differing hues in there. Fading from very dark red at the cutting edge to black.

Don't think of it as scale, think of it as discoloration. Though scale is the correct term. Our blades never experience actual scaling.

Carpe Diem

MS

Post Script:
The lower WB is about three years old. Note the changes in the guard length. You can also tell its been sharpened A LOT. Look how much thinner the profile is. It also looks like its been re-tied. Not because of the cord thickness. We have used thick and thin cord, but the knotting at the pummel looks odd. We also changed the false edge. And added adhesion lines to the spine.

[This message has been edited by Mick Strider (edited 10-02-2000).]

The bottom WB is Brian Thornburg's I just have a loan of it. I think Brian mentioned that it was bought second hand and yes it has seen some serious use - always a strong recommendation. I have no idea if it has been retied. If it was, then they knew what they were doing as it is tight and visually identical to the top WB.

As Mick commented there is some reddish hue on the blade that didn't come out well in the picture above, if I had cleaned them before taking the picure it probably would have been visible.

-Cliff

Geez, will you guys quit posting pictures of such cool looking knives?!
mad.gif
You gonna cause me to go buy yet another knife that I don't need.
confused.gif
wink.gif

------------------
iktomi

Back