Tight pivot

Just bought my first Emerson, a CQC-7B. Very pleased. I have one question. It is very tight to open. Is this something that will eventually work itself out? I have tried some lubricant. Helped a little but not a lot. I tried loosening the pivot, but that allows too much blade play. Any ideas? Thanks.

Try a little Militec-1 oil, and after a bit of use it should smoothen itself out, my Super 7 was the same way when I first got it. :D

Or you can just loosen the pivot screw , lock blade open. Then tighten pivot screw to where you have the amount of tension you like.

I have the same issue. In order to center the blade on my CQC-15, the pivot has to be really tight. I have tried several methods of centering including the one provided by Emerson, but all produce a centered blade that is too tight. Although all of my other 9 Emersons were stiff when new, none were this stiff. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks -

Emerson knives are not designed to have “YouTuber actions” since they are tools and not pocket jewelry. Some are tighter than others depending on their age and whether or not they have the dual detent. Coated blades also need break in so the detent ball(s) can wear a track in the coating. The only way they truly smooth out is by honest use and many openings and closings.

The factory lube is more to protect the pivot area and interact with the nylatron washers than to provide less friction. If you feel the need to change the lube I’ve found grease is better than oil.

My personal method is to not disassemble the knife and keep the factory lube in as long as possible. Once the knife gets dirty enough to need a thorough cleaning I’ll disassemble, clean with Dawn soap, and reassemble with Chris Reeve flourinated grease. It’s viscous enough to stay in the pivot area and provides good friction reduction.

Emerson knives are not designed to have “YouTuber actions” since they are tools and not pocket jewelry. Some are tighter than others depending on their age and whether or not they have the dual detent. Coated blades also need break in so the detent ball(s) can wear a track in the coating. The only way they truly smooth out is by honest use and many openings and closings.

The factory lube is more to protect the pivot area and interact with the nylatron washers than to provide less friction. If you feel the need to change the lube I’ve found grease is better than oil.

My personal method is to not disassemble the knife and keep the factory lube in as long as possible. Once the knife gets dirty enough to need a thorough cleaning I’ll disassemble, clean with Dawn soap, and reassemble with Chris Reeve flourinated grease. It’s viscous enough to stay in the pivot area and provides good friction reduction.
I agree with everything you said, and now that I have more experience with Emersons, I also leave the factory lube in rather than changing it as soon as I get a new knife. With a new CQC-15 I just got, I decided to experiment a little bit since it was much tighter than any other I have had. I replaced the Nylatron washers with PB and Teflon washers (1PB & 1 Teflon on each side), and used Chris Reeve fluorinated grease. It now has an incredibly smooth action that is different than any other Emerson I own.

Back