Tightening a cane collar?

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the absolute best subforum, but I see quite the eclectic group of posts here. This isn't a particularly outdoorsy question, but as I rely on a cane whether I am at home or out, I thought perhaps some craftsmen might have some ideas.

One of my canes has a brass collar between the handle and the shaft. I fell down today, and later noticed that the collar now turns, and occasionally makes a bit of noise, which is disappointing.

Does anyone have suggestions for fixing it? The only thing I can possibly think of is to try to cut the handle off, remove the collar if possible, and attempt to replace the handle. I'm not sure tightening it up again is really possible. My search for answers hasn't brought up much as I guess this isn't a problem for most. Doesn't affect the integrity of the cane but is a minor annoyance. Wanted to see if anyone had suggestions I might be able to try. Thanks all.

If the brass collar isn’t structural, you can cut it off. The cane may look a little better if you butter some slow (12hr.) epoxy under the collar wiping off the excess before it sets.

Back