Tilley hats?

eveled

Gold Member
I have a large head, actually it’s a perfect size 8. Most of my life I went without a hat because one size fits all is a lie. When I find a hat that fits I buy it, now I’ve found that I have way too many hats. Which is better than too few hats. A couple of years ago I bought a Tilley hat from Canada. It’s by far my favorite hat I’ve ever owned. So if you are on the fence about spending the money IMHO they are worth it especially with the lifetime warranty. Anybody else like Tilley?

view
view

Last edited:
Absolutely! I've got a few. Bought my first one while on vacation in Newfoundland a few summers ago, shaved head made it necessary, it was the only option available, very small town and just the one shop. That hat has been on many trips, and many washes. Once i realized how great their hats are and how well they hold up, Tilley is the only hats i own & wear. Also, i live a 20min drive from their own shop in Toronto.

Brother loves them and keeps telling me I need to buy one. Hair is thinning now so it may be time finally. Want to find a shop to try them on though. Rarely do I regret paying for quality and when I do its because of me doing something stupid.

I have three, including my favorite in camo. They are comfortable (even during a Florida summer), durable, and better-looking than most other options for sun protection.

Only rarely do I get an excuse to post this (just the text/blurb as its not allowed to link to non-supporting vendor):

TILLEY HAT EATEN BY ELEPHANT. THREE TIMES.

You don’t buy a Tilley hat for how it looks on the day of your purchase. You buy it for how it’s going to look 10 or 20 years from now. These hats weather well and continue to look better and better with each adventure you put it through. Here’s our all-time favorite indestructible Tilley story (by Tilley Owner Alex Tilley):

“Elephant trainer Michael Hackenberger of the Bowmanville (Ontario) Zoo, had his Tilley Hat snatched from his head and eaten by an elephant. Three times. Michael later would find and pick up his Hat, wash it thoroughly, and wear it. He had declined to accept a new Tilley Hat in order that we may have his well-traveled Tilley for our museum. (We were secretly pleased!)” Alex Tilley, Ontario

I've got two Tilley hats...
I've been on the verge of buying another more than a couple of times; but, between those two and my Barmah, my casual hat needs are well covered. (I've also got an Akubra, but it's not the best fit for me)

Mine has traveled extensively including the Outback. Always take it when I travel and use it regularly working in the yard.
Anyone have better tips for cleaning? I have been washing in the sink with just soap and water. The sweat (salt) stains seem to get harder to get out.
c4HwK6wl.jpg

Mine has traveled extensively including the Outback. Always take it when I travel and use it regularly working in the yard.
Anyone have better tips for cleaning? I have been washing in the sink with just soap and water. The sweat (salt) stains seem to get harder to get out.
c4HwK6wl.jpg

Check the label / model details, many of them are machine washable, just stretch over knee and let it sit to dry.

Love mine. My dad wore his out and they replaced it for free at least once that I recall. (Don’t ask how you wear out a hat. lol)

Great product/company. :thumbsup:

That’s the beauty of the warrantee!

I would soak it over night then toss it in the washing machine.

I've got two, worn out the one twice so far. The lighter cotton ones are not as robust, and my sweat seems to be pretty destructive. But they are a fantastic hat, and the service cannot be beat.

I have three each a different style. Worn daily on long walks. They are worth every penny.

Had one, liked it pretty well, although I looked like a dork (more of one) wearing it. I prefer baseball style caps. I washed mine several times with no ill effects other than I seem to recall between rolling it up and sticking it in a pocket and the washings it pretty much lost its shape.

Lost it when I turned over my kayak in Maine. It floated down the river and I never found it.

Back