Timberline Kelly Worden tactical folder

Screenshot_20190407-151821.jpg Screenshot_20190407-151841.jpg Screenshot_20190407-152226.jpg I found this old knife in my old bug out bag, I think I got it off a Snap On truck in 2009. It cleaned up real nice, it's sharp, never used. Can't find anything about these. It's beefy, with a 4" partial serrated stainless, beadblasted drop point, big thumb studs. Says Timberline, Worden Designs on left blade side, 11291, Taiwan, on right blade side. Tip down, right only clip, 7.2 oz. liner lock, nylon washers on pivot, stainless Torx hardware on 5 5/8" black handle. A keeper? Looks brand new, but no box. Unsure if it represents anything significant for my small collection. Anybody know something about these?

Last edited:
I had one of these too.

I liked the handle shape because it was so ergonomic—it was quite slippery though—no grip at all.

I didn't like the tip-down only carry though.

Timberline was a smaller knife company compared to most others.

They were probably better known for the Emerson Specwar fixed blade that they did
about 25 years ago.

I think I read that they went out of business a while ago.

The rights to the name must have been bought-up too.

Because I just saw some new versions of these Kelly Worden folders on Knife Center's website.

I had one of these too.

I liked the handle shape because it was so ergonomic—it was quite slippery though—no grip at all.

I didn't like the tip-down only carry though.

Timberline was a smaller knife company compared to most others.

They were probably better known for the Emerson Specwar fixed blade that they did
about 25 years ago.

I think I read that they went out of business a while ago.

The rights to the name must have been bought-up too.

Because I just saw some new versions of these Kelly Worden folders on Knife Center's website.
Thanks GCG199, that's awesome, you had one too.! Yep, the way you descrbed the handle, ergonomic, but no texture to the scales (frn or some kinda hard polymer), so a little slippery. So, I guess you got rid of yours. Thanks for the info on it, I guess it's not much sought after, but I think that it seems to have robust construction and a cool shape, possibly inspired by Worden martial arts, fighter design. I wish I could remember what I paid for it. Oh well, it's in pretty much brand new condition, so I guess I'll hold on to it and enjoy it for what it is. PS. I remember now, I got another Timberline off Snap On, back then. Still got it. It' the mini Pit Bull. A rather small fixed blade, with kyxex sheath, still as new. They seem to be nice quality, shame they're out of business. Have a nice Sunday friend.

I had one of these, I filed some grip lines into the scales and gave it to a friend studying silat (?) And she loved it

That was nice of you fishface5. I checked over at KnifeCenter. They have this knife, now made by ETE. It is made with D2 steel now and G10 handles. Called Kelly Worden WorTac assisted flipper, ETEK1600, it's $68.00. Is silat some kind of martial art? Anyway, filing grooves on the grip was smart, I bet you were her hero for your gift.

The Timberline knife story goes -

Private company formed by knifemakers Jim Hardenbrook, Bill Sanders, and Vaughn Neeley in the early 80's. Hardenbrook dies in a hunting accident (fell on an arrow). Neeley and Sanders continue the company.

Early 90's (94ish) Gatco sharpening systems buys out Timberline wanting to add a cutlery division to their company. The majority of the designs will be tactical designs.

2016, Gatco ends. The sharpener division is sold to Bear, Case buys the Timberline brand.

The Worden knife dates to around 2000ish, and was really well thought of back then. It's main competition was the CRKT Kasper folder. If you don't hear about it much, I'd blame it more on Gatco than any fault of the knife. They were always bland marketers, which is a shame because many of the knives were really nice for the cost.

I'd hang on to it, the most recent versions were made in China, and not as nicely finished as the Taiwanese version in my opinion. A little funny thing about the shape of the Wortac folder is that it can be used as makeshift sap. It was mentioned a few times when they came out.

I found this old knife in my old bug out bag, I think I got it off a Snap On truck in 2009. It cleaned up real nice, it's sharp, never used. Can't find anything about these. It's beefy, with a 4" partial serrated stainless, beadblasted drop point, big thumb studs. Says Timberline, Worden Designs on left blade side, 11291, Taiwan, on right blade side. Tip down, right only clip, 7.2 oz. liner lock, nylon washers on pivot, stainless Torx hardware on 5 5/8" black handle. A keeper? Looks brand new, but no box. Unsure if it represents anything significant for my small collection. Anybody know something about these?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kelly+worden+wortac+knife&t=osx&iax=videos&ia=videos

:) Kelly Worden seems legit enough as a martial artist .

I don't generally trust unproven liner locks or frame locks for fighting or hard emergency use . Might be fine , but might not ! :confused:

Just be careful to test it out before you count on it . For your collection purposes , function doesn't matter , of course . ;)

Omg titt, you are a treasure of knowledge. That was an amazing history lesson. To bad about Jim Hardenbrook. So Gatco bought them out. Wow, that's cool, I actually have the Gatco sharpening clamp system. It's like a Lansky, maybe I got that off the Snap On truck too, I don't remember. Funny you should mention CRKT Casper folder, I have been admiring those lately, and will probably pick one up since they can be had for only $20 now online(BladesHQ, etc.), which is a heck of a bargain. It would make a nice stable mate for the Timberline Kelly Worden. A couple of nice examples of folding fighter designs from that period, I suppose. Anyway, now that I have the whole scoop on my knife, I appreciate it more, and will be keeping it. If someone tries to lowball me out of it, I will test its sap function on them, haha. Thank you very much for sharing, you have a lot of knife knowledge for sure!

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kelly+worden+wortac+knife&t=osx&iax=videos&ia=videos

:) Kelly Worden seems legit enough as a martial artist .

I don't generally trust unproven liner locks or frame locks for fighting or hard emergency use . Might be fine , but might not ! :confused:

Just be careful to test it out before you count on it . For your collection purposes , function doesn't matter , of course . ;)
Hey there docJD. Thanks for getting back. The folder has around 30% lockup, no movement or flexing of lock bar when gripping handle hard, no blade play. I tried a light spine whack on the sofa arm, held up fine. Think I will just be filing it away for collecting though, to rare to abuse, since I'm thinking it would be hard to replace. I've got some Cold Steel folders that I wouldn't worry about hard using, but really, I don't do that anyway. Thank for that link, now I'm curious about Kelly Worden too!

Hey there docJD. Thanks for getting back. The folder has around 30% lockup, no movement or flexing of lock bar when gripping handle hard, no blade play. I tried a light spine whack on the sofa arm, held up fine. Think I will just be filing it away for collecting though, to rare to abuse, since I'm thinking it would be hard to replace. I've got some Cold Steel folders that I wouldn't worry about hard using, but really, I don't do that anyway. Thank for that link, now I'm curious about Kelly Worden too!
I followed your link, and refreshed myself on the legendary Professor Kelly Worden. Natural Spirit International (CSI) founder. He is renowned as the premier American martial artist, whose training has helped many, including special forces personnel, achieve their best. The video is inspiring. I am proud to have a folder bearing Kelly's name and design input! I shall use it to remind myself of the ideals which can lead me to daily confidence and a life worth remembering.

I followed your link, and refreshed myself on the legendary Professor Kelly Worden. Natural Spirit International (CSI) founder. He is renowned as the premier American martial artist, whose training has helped many, including special forces personnel, achieve their best. The video is inspiring. I am proud to have a folder bearing Kelly's name and design input! I shall use it to remind myself of the ideals which can lead me to daily confidence and a life worth remembering.
:) I'm not really too familiar with this teacher . He's been around awhile , for sure .

Some of his "less lethal" inventions for SD are somewhat questionable for me , just at first glance . I've not looked at his work in any depth or detail . :confused:

Your knife is worth hanging onto , IMO . But I tend to believe that about most any weapon that is not complete junk ! :p

Back