Time Capsule - What knife/knives would you put in? Just for fun discussion.

BOSS1

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Say you were putting together a time capsule, what knife or knives would you put in:

Scenario 1:

This would be a personal capsule that you'd give to you children upon their 18th or 21st birthday. There would probably have been other knives they used growing up, but when they hit the milestone and begin entering adulthood, among other things, you want to present them with a good knife or three. What would it be? Be realistic with your budget...ie. most folks are going to afford to put a dozen XM-18's away for their kids, especially if they have more than one! I think maybe a Swamprat Ratmandu with a nice sheath. A pretty good all-arounder if ever there was one.

Scenario 2:

The more traditional 'Time Capsule,' something that would be buried for 100 years to be opened by people in the future. What knife would you put in there to represent people of 2017? Keep in mind, there would be other things...magazines, maybe a computer, articles of clothing, books, etc. to show people what we're like now. Think of a knife that would be a good representation of all knife owners, not just the tiny fraction of dedicated enthusiasts that will spend the coin on Hinderer/CRK/Strider/Etc. I'm thinking probably a Buck 110. Sypderco Endura, and/or SAK.

Just a fun discussion.

What say you?

BOSS

Knapped flint. Future people aren't to be trusted. We need to mislead them.

Better yet! S30v Hootenanny. That way it's just a pile of rust when opened.

Preferably one of my wife's. You don't think I would do that with one of my own knives, do you?

I would select a Stacked Leather KaBar U.S. Navy Deck Knife (Cro-Van steel) and a USA made high-end Barlow on the side.

A ZT 562, a Spyderco Para Military, and a Benchmade 940 to represent well executed and affordable knives with high-end features. Balanced out with a Gerber Bear Grylls (celebrity-endorsed trash), an M Tech (typical mass produced crap from China), and a random Ganzo folder (stolen designs).

Scenario 1 is very fitting for me. I have a son who just turned 3 and I started a male version of a "hope chest" for him last year. So far it has mostly made in the USA Schrades including several that are new in the box. They are knives I love and may be difficult for him to find when he gets older. The box also has a Buck 110, Gransfors Bruk Mini Belt Hatchet, Vic Farmer, and a PSK by JK Knives. It's a work in progress and I'm sure a Mora and Opinel will be added. The most expensive piece I plan to add will be a Randall 14, one of my favorite blades and one I bought my older son several years ago.

Scenario 1: my grandfather's case
Scenario 2: US Navy MK5 Dive knife with brass sheath

A Victorinox tinker, a recruit, and a classic. Plus a leatherman micra , a leatherman blast, a buck 110 , a case sodbuster Jr in cv, and a marbles machete.

The 100yr time capsule would be the same.

An auto of some kind. No guarantee it will fire after 100 years :)
I'd probably vacuum seal it!

A Victorinox SAK, along with a bottle of wine with a cork, a bottle of beer, and a can without a pull-ring, so that the future people would understand what the corkscrew, bottle opener, and can opener were used for, before there were apps for that.

Sebenza 21

My little change would be the large Classic Sebenza, titanium slabs.

...and Gaston444 suggested a hollow handle. Okay, but NOT a Round hollow handle. Did you ever try to figure out which way is up with a completely round grip? :)

BOSS1...did you intend to put a "not" into this statement? "most folks are going to afford to put a dozen XM-18's..."

cheers..

Back