Time flies. A giveaway.

kamagong

Gold Member
Hard to believe, but I've been on this site for twenty years today. Where has the time gone? I shudder to think of all the hours I've whiled away here.

To commemorate the occasion I'm going to host a modest giveaway. Nothing too grand, just something a little different for my favorite corner of the 'Net, BladeForums' "Traditional Folder and Fixed Blades."

Up for grabs is a khukuri from Himalayan Imports. This one is a good example of the type, with double fullers and a rakta chandan handle. I chose to give this away as an homage to both my avatar and the type of knife that drew me to BladeForums in the first place.

50818089193_7c8697d216_b.jpg

Giveaway is for forum regulars only, you should know if you qualify. A simple "I'm in" will tell me if you are interested. No requirements, but I'd appreciate it if some of you could post pictures of the types of knives you enjoyed twenty years ago.

I'm going to let the GA run for twenty days.

Last edited:
I'm in.
Thanks for the chance.
I'm drawing a blank on 1991. I'll find something.
[edited to change 1991 to 2001. Doesn't help, though, with the fog.]
Well, Dad died in 2001. I took over his share of our Bruckmann grab-bag from Tenn-e. The middle one was always mine. The little one was exactly his style.
KUjWTbc.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Christian, that's quite a milestone my friend. That's a special knife, and I've always meant to replace my very first knife, which was stolen from me. However, I wouldn't want to inflict such a hefty postage fee, and all the general hassle, on anyone, so I hope you'll forgive me for not entering. Good luck everyone, and may you be here for decades to come Christian :thumbsup:

Nice giveaway. Not an entry though. I like khukuris but have little use for one. It would just sit on my shelf collecting dust.

Knives I was into 20 years ago? While I have carried a pocket knife since I was a little kid, I wasn't really 'into' them 20 years ago. An old Kershaw lockback (the ones that look like the Puma lockbacks. I wonder which came first?) was probably in my pocket 20 years ago.

Thank you, Christian, I'm in. Twenty years ago I was pretty poor and only owned 5 or 6 knives. I still have some of them:

qnkUrpx.jpg

vQdnuhA.jpg

toKazou.jpg

The last knife is not one I had twenty years ago, but is the same type: a gracious replacement for my lost Gerber by a forum benefactor.
iq02t7s.jpg

Not an entry, but congrats on twenty years of forum participation and being a blade enthusiast!

Thanks for the generous GAW, but again, I prefer to let that blade go to another lucky forum member.

Congrats on the milestone, and thanks for all of the contributions!

I think I bought this Case 6318 around 20 years ago. The pic is from my first post on BF.
FB2CD643-D2FE-4B87-A56F-0890E7596DAD.jpeg

I was just thinking the other day that this year will mark 20 years since 9/11, and that blew my mind - time flies, as you say.
When my wife was visiting the 9/11 memorial when it first opened, before it was the open air memorial it was now, she had that Case 6318 in her bag while going through security. When the guard asked her about it, she told him she was a whittler. He gave it back to her.

Thank you for the generous GAW! I’m in.

Ooh, what a beauty. Definitely in.

Let's see if I can find a knife pic that shows what I was into 20 years ago........

Here is my first custom knife. I've had this one since I was 12 years old. It is a knife made by my deceased uncle, Glen Hornby. He is, in a large part, responsible for starting me down the rabbit hole of custom knives.

I mowed lawns and saved up for this knife long before I had a driver's license or was dating girls.

The rifle is one I took elk hunting as a kid. Argentine Mauser... it was a lot of rifle to lug arround the mountains.

gGvTLMh.jpg

I've had the knife for 31 years?

Some where I have a closer pic, I need to find where I hosted it. (Victim of the great Photobucket caper)..

Last edited:
The Robeson on top, compared to a Case below, was my favorite knife about 20 years ago! Sunk joint, and rounded bolsters makes it a smooth carry, that's easy on the pocket, and consequently traveled many miles with me!!;)
Not an entry, Christian, just my old picture and a nod to your
great giveaway!!:thumbsup:Barlow comparo.jpg

Twenty years ago? Let's see...I was landscaping, carrying mostly Benchmade tacticals because I beat the crap out of them. Of course this guy had been hanging with me for twenty years then, and still is.

That is a great looking kukri, very generous of you. I'm in for this one.

I'd like to be in if I may, been meaning to add a kukri to my collection at some point.

20 years ago I was in the 8th grade, I had a cheap hatchet, a cheap machete that was a gift from my great uncle, an a knock off Swiss army knife. Dad used to make sure that the pocket knives were on the ledge by the door every night so nobody slipped up and wound up taking one to school. I think I got a Schrade chip at some point with a pair of carrhart overalls that year as well. I carried that and a box cutter on my early days working a dairy farm, my knife obsession evolved from there.

There's no way I'm passing up an opportunity for that Khukuri, I'm in!

A Khukuri is a knife I have wanted since I was a teenager, and yet have somehow never owned.

Twenty years ago I didn't have a knife collection. I had given away all of my knives except the fixed blade my grandfather had given me as a kid (pictured below). Other than that, I couldn't afford tools I wasn't going to use, and the only knife I could carry at work was on a multitool, so a couple multitools were all the knife I had (though I did have my collection of wall hanger swords). Times have changed :)

View media item 4636

Congratulations on 20 years! A awesome knife to give away. I've always wanted to handle a legit khukuri, all I've ever seen in person are terrible Pakistani knock offs. Lets see 20 years ago I was just getting into Gerber and Kershaw tactical knives. However from age 10 until about 20-21 (I'm soon to be 42)my main knife was a Victorinox camping model like this. Although my Dad carried stockman knives around the the time I was 8 years old his brother bought him a Vic huntsman. Then when I was 10 I got to pick my very own knife out at the hardware store and I wanted one just like my Dads. The camping was closest they had. Plus I was in the scouts at the time, a knife with a teepee on itwas cool stuff to a 10 year old scout:cool::thumbsup:20210112_170255.jpg
My main fixed blade was a Coldsteel recon tanto,though I've always had a variety of knives.
Edit: Oh! I'm in please!

Last edited:
20 Years ago this was One of only 3 knives that I had and the only one that I carried . At that time , I had already carried it every day for 40 years and I probably just made the deal to retire in 5 more months . In July of 2001 I basically retired this Ulster . It has served me well .
Great GAW Christian . It is a Knife that I would very much liked to have had at one time , but at my age , I would probably never use it , so Do Not Count me in .

Harry

Back