Time for a watermark.

Scott Hanson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I created a a business Facebook page a couple of months ago and it's been steadily growing to almost 1200 followers. Along with the followers comes just about every other type of scammer out there. Several weeks ago I was talking to a guy on Facebook who was from Pakistan wanting to sell me knives, I told him no I don't buy knives. I thought that was the end of it until I checked his profile and seen he down loaded one of my knife photos, posted it on his Facebook page and offered it for sale as his own knives. I reported it and made him take it down. This a screen shot of the ad that he posted.

Screen Shot 2020-02-12 at 12.23.02 PM.jpeg

Ok well now something similar is happening right now, another guy on Facebook ( From Pakistan I might add ) has down loaded another photo of mine and is currently using it as hid profile photo on Facebook. He hasn't tried to sell it yet, or least not that I know of. And I sure don't want my work associated with the Pakistan made knives. So I'm wondering if I should report him right now. But one thing is for certain I am probably going to have to find a way to watermark my work. Along with using American flag and patriotic back grounds for my photos. Anyhow this is the guys Facebook page.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.44.06 PM.jpeg

And his profile photo are actually two knives I made for Mack and Sheldon.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.53.43 PM.jpeg

Anyone have any good ideas on a watermarking app?

I created a a business Facebook page a couple of months ago and it's been steadily growing to almost 1200 followers. Along with the followers comes just about every other type of scammer out there. Several weeks ago I was talking to a guy on Facebook who was from Pakistan wanting to sell me knives, I told him no I don't buy knives. I thought that was the end of it until I checked his profile and seen he down loaded one of my knife photos, posted it on his Facebook page and offered it for sale as his own knives. I reported it and made him take it down. This a screen shot of the ad that he posted.

View attachment 1308164

Ok well now something similar is happening right now, another guy on Facebook ( From Pakistan I might add ) has down loaded another photo of mine and is currently using it as hid profile photo on Facebook. He hasn't tried to sell it yet, or least not that I know of. And I sure don't want my work associated with the Pakistan made knives. So I'm wondering if I should report him right now. But one thing is for certain I am probably going to have to find a way to watermark my work. Along with using American flag and patriotic back grounds for my photos. Anyhow this is the guys Facebook page.

View attachment 1308166

And his profile photo are actually two knives I made for Mack and Sheldon.

View attachment 1308167

Anyone have any good ideas on a watermarking app?

May want to check with @Mossyhorn

I use the GIMP program to add watermarks to my photos. Free program.

I started adding my own to my photos, as so many of them show up on Pinterest:

I'll talk to Mossyhorn and see what he says.

I use the GIMP program to add watermarks to my photos. Free program.

I started adding my own to my photos, as so many of them show up on Pinterest:

Thanks Warrior, I'm down loading it now.

There is a learning curve to it.

It's taking a while to load, this is a back ground idea I think may make my photos unusable for them. I'm thinking of having a 20" x 30" poster printed
out and using these for my back grounds.

800px_COLOURBOX10331684.jpeg86710930_103789001211127_776697659560820736_o.jpeg

Yeah, you could do that. Lay your knife across it, and take the photo. Could always have your name printed on it as well. A quickie, obviously:

Yeah, you could do that. Lay your knife across it, and take the photo. Could always have your name printed on it as well. A quickie, obviously:

Yes, I think if I dummy the colors on the flag down a bit I can make tit work.

In Gimp (or Photoshop) you can add a layer on top of your photo, make it be anything you want (type, photo, whatever) and set the opacity. Then you can export a jpeg copy of the file. Voila, watermark.

I use Gimp and paint.net (both free) for work - Gimp has a higher learning curve, in my opinion, but is also more powerful/versatile.

Also, if you went the flag route, you would want it with a matte/non shiny surface. You wouldn't want the flash showing up in every photo.

The nice thing about a photo manipulator, such as GIMP, etc, is that once you learn, you can do pretty much anything. Such as change the angle of the font to go with the knife:

Different fonts/colors:

Or custom gradients, etc, with drop shadows:

The nice thing about a photo manipulator, such as GIMP, etc, is that once you learn, you can do pretty much anything. Such as change the angle of the font to go with the knife:

Different fonts/colors:

Or custom gradients, etc, with drop shadows:

I'll have to have Geek squad set this up for program up for me I tried downloading and couldn't get it to work. Problem now is Wisconsin just issued a stay at home order for the next month so it may be a while yet.lol

We have the same in Illinois. Sucks, but pretty much, when I get home from work, I just sit in front of the computer for the evening anywhos.

By the way, you can Google tutorials for GIMP, or do searches on youTube. I learned tons like that.

Not exactly a water mark but an American flag back ground I like and maybe even my name texted on the blade for Facebook sales. I think I'll leave the name off the blade for now, it's easy enough to do with the computer at anytime. I've have three people take my photos and use them on their FB pages so far but haven't gad an issue lately. I have two different size flag posters t work with, I think I like the smaller size poster better.
IMG_3275.jpegIMG_3272.jpegIMG_3272 (1).jpeg

Not exactly a water mark but an American flag back ground I like and maybe even my name texted on the blade for Facebook sales. I think I'll leave the name off the blade for now, it's easy enough to do with the computer at anytime. I've have three people take my photos and use them on their FB pages so far but haven't gad an issue lately. I have two different size flag posters t work with, I think I like the smaller size poster better.
View attachment 1420016View attachment 1420017View attachment 1420018

Yeah, think I like the smaller flag background too...more focus on the knife.

You can adjust the opacity of the name/watermark to the point that it is lightly visible, and blending in to the item. Position it so it works well & doesn't obscure any features you want seen clearly. It takes a little time to figure out & set up; but, after that, it's pretty easy to apply.

Back