Time for my exit; Adios shop talk

And, I do actually make knives and swords, I just don't take a lot of photos.

with 28,519 post you really should have some pictures so we actually can see your work.

I mean I have seen plenty of pictures of your fancy dinner over the years at least throw up some knife picts occasionally.

Adam, I really don't want to get into it here, but if you have seen any amount of those posts, you would have seen hundreds of photos of my knives, shots of me forging at demos, photos of my tables at shows, shots of some awards, shots of me at Ashokan, etc. Unlike many of todays youth, I don't have a phone attached to one hand … and when I am working, it is usually turned off or in the house.

Hate to see a master leave a forum because of idiot's. It's the internet, a saying about a duck and water escapes me

No need to "get into it" just post some picts of your work here and no I have not seen much of your finished work posted here at all.

Dont get angry just toss up some picts like the rest of us.

You are the one who brought up you do not take a lot of photos.

We all would like to see examples of what you talk about.

I think one thing that maybe all members should be made aware of is that if you pay attention, you will quickly learn there is a diverse skill set here. So if the member you KNOW is an expert on a particular subject has given a complete and informative answer, maybe you don't need to add to that. I.E. if I ask a question on forge welding stainless or heat treatment of AEB-L, and Devin Thomas answers it, that's the answer I'm probably going with. Just one example of hundreds. It can really add to the discussion. For instance, at Ashokan this year, I was doing my usual thing of just soaking everything in and being super humbled by the work present ( something I find CRITICAL to my progress in the craft). I mean really, what am I going to teach Kevin Cashen or Mace about forging a blade? However, I've been pretty heavy into stabilizing wood for a while. I brought a bunch of blocks to give away and sell. I fielded dozens if questions from guys who totally inspire me with there work about the process. It was really cool to be able to contribute in a meaningful way. This phenomenon is called "synergy" and it can be a powerful mechanism for advancing our skills.

i remember when i joined back in the "good old days" trolls and bad info ebb and flow we jsut choose to forget about how many 50$ knife shop lies had to be beat out of this forum. i do miss some of the old guys but i dont miss all the tripple quench garbage and the like. much more good info here so long as you understand whos posts to read.

Sure, we get some characters on here, but if you REALLY want to see bad info and jagoff behavior, just Google your knife making related question and go to some of the answers from some other forums. A MAJOR thing that I like about this little arena of ours is that the OWNER and the people who run the place are, as a general rule, not a-holes. Anyone who has been to a few other forums know that is not always the case. I have seen more than one where the guy who thinks that he is in charge is giving out perhaps not bad, but not exactly the best information and if your good info doesn't line up with what he is pushing, then you have no idea what your are talking about, you moronic newbie know it all. :p

It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.. if you drop the hammer on every single member who posts something “wrong” then you’ll get the reputation of running off members.. if you don’t then you make mad existing members who will dwindle and leave..
Arguing on the net is like pissing in a headwind. You generally end up worse off than when you started..
All you can do is pass along solid info. You can’t make them use it or believe it. Arguing about it isn’t worth your time

sorry to see anyone who contributes in a positive way leave.
The sad part is, this issue in not just here in this sub-forum, its is highly prevalent in most sub forums.
For some I suppose its entertaining, for most of us, we dont need to see the nonsense.
Thanks for what you have contributed here.

No need to "get into it" just post some picts of your work here and no I have not seen much of your finished work posted here at all.

Dont get angry just toss up some picts like the rest of us.

You are the one who brought up you do not take a lot of photos.

We all would like to see examples of what you talk about.

Not terribly difficult to find (though I do know far more about the interwebs than knifemaking...)

IMG_0031-2.jpg

2015-knife-4.gif

2015-knife-5.gif

2015-knife-2.gif

2015-knife-3.gif

The op illustrates something that I find very frustrating, which is sorting the BS from t he truth when I try to find info and learn things from the 'net. If I don't know something, how do I know what's right or wrong? Plenty of "experts" who will back up someone else's BS.

To have true experts stop sharing valid info only helps the d-bags proliferate.
Bummer.

It’s a damned if you do, damned if you don’t scenario.. if you drop the hammer on every single member who posts something “wrong” then you’ll get the reputation of running off members.. if you don’t then you make mad existing members who will dwindle and leave..
Arguing on the net is like pissing in a headwind. You generally end up worse off than when you started..
All you can do is pass along solid info. You can’t make them use it or believe it. Arguing about it isn’t worth your time
Wow! I doubt I could have stated this any better. Agreed. On the fence, myself. About to make that jump to hyperspace too. Especially after a very recent comment to a post I made about eliminating variables in a comparison chart.

FWIW, I'm a consumer not a maker. I've learned a ton about knives, how they are made, along with what seems like every part of the process and how to fix issues that come up. This has helped me learn about knife details (i.e. Hamon lines) I never new about, but now can see a knife and picture the work that went into making it. Especially loved the multiple threads on Cru-V steel which is my favorite by far causing me to buy just about every knife I can in the steel. Sorry to see a contributor leave, but know there are members that enjoy the content, albeit not able to contribute anything but questions.

Wow! I doubt I could have stated this any better. Agreed. On the fence, myself. About to make that jump to hyperspace too. Especially after a very recent comment to a post I made about eliminating variables in a comparison chart.

I meant no rudeness, or disrespect in my posts. I might be missing something, but I thought we were discussing advantages/disadvantages of different ways to get data. I re-read my posts, and I don’t see conflict there. Please help me understand.

I meant no rudeness, or disrespect in my posts. I might be missing something, but I thought we were discussing advantages/disadvantages of different ways to get data. I re-read my posts, and I don’t see conflict there. Please help me understand.

It might be me here, I’ve reached out to try to clear things up.

Hoss

Warren, you and I have no issue whatsoever. At all.

“I want to go on the record”....Warren is one of the best contributors to Shop Talk.

By any number of reasons

Want to know who else? Devin Thomas.

By any number of reasons. I may not always agree with his methods and replies, but I want it known “on the record”, Devin is here to help.

And help he and Warren do.

Last edited:
Sorry to see you go. I've always enjoyed looking at your knives and will miss that. Good luck to you! Larry

This is why I said they should be banned after REPEATEDLY putting out bad info and being told as much. No one should be banned for asking questions. Because if you don't know what you are doing, questions should be the only thing you DO post

Sorry to see you go, John. Of course, you have to separate the wheat from the chaff. That is fairly common for most forums. I wish you a good journey.
Don

Reactions: mb>
Been sayin it for a few years now about BF(a few times on the forums no less) that without some major changes shop talk AND the custom section are not long for this world. This forum at it's core is designed to discourage veterans and professionals from contributing, while encourages novices and trolls to flood it with stupidity, ignorance and more and more, vitriol.

Think about it. As it functions now, those with the most knowledge to share have to pay to do so here(e.g. knifemaker membership). Meanwhile it's free99 for everyone else to post here. Long term conclusion of this scenario is what the forum is facing now. As much as i DESPISE Ayn Rand, the best description for what is happening is that 90+% of those who made this place awesome decided to go Galt.

Honestly, at this point the shoptalk section for all intents and purposes should just be renamed the "What grinder should i buy when i can't afford a grinder" section.

Back