Time thief

Because you seem interested in a slip-joint you should ask a mod to move this to the traditional forum. Or you could add "traditional" to the thread title. There's a great bunch of people over in the traditional section who will offer you many ways to spend your money.

There is diminishing returns to a point but there are other issues that people don't understand. Like small batch production will cost more because they are not being mass produced. More often than not they have better quality and resale value because less are being made.

Custom knives are being made by someone not on an assembly line and your paying them labor and can get it customized with some things like colors or shapes in the makers own style.

A good budget knife won't be anywhere near as good but a decent budget knife is $40-60 but it's rare to find good quality control and other issues happen.

I spend around $200 give or take on average for good knafs. Which is basically the point of diminishing returns.

Would you like to pocket carry a $600 knife? Then do it.

Not rocket science and we can't read your mind.
Hhhh... That guy. Look buddy, I started by stating my ignorance. No need to be snide. I don't know where "the lid" is on "normal" nice knives. I therefore requested an opinion. Your response didn't actually answer anything. Back to your bridge

There is diminishing returns to a point but there are other issues that people don't understand. Like small batch production will cost more because they are not being mass produced. More often than not they have better quality and resale value because less are being made.

Custom knives are being made by someone not on an assembly line and your paying them labor and can get it customized with some things like colors or shapes in the makers own style.

A good budget knife won't be anywhere near as good but a decent budget knife is $40-60 but it's rare to find good quality control and other issues happen.

I spend around $200 give or take on average for good knafs. Which is basically the point of diminishing returns.
Thank you for your help

Reactions: Mo2
Hhhh... That guy. Look buddy, I started by stating my ignorance. No need to be snide. I don't know where "the lid" is on "normal" nice knives. I therefore requested an opinion. Your response didn't actually answer anything. Back to your bridge

Who is being snide, chief? Time to switch to the decaf.

You asked specifically if its foolish to carry a $600 knife. If you want to, then its not foolish.

Some people would say it is foolish, some people would say it isn't.

It's your knife, you can do whatever you want with it, and only you know how much you are willing to spend.

Today I am carrying a knife that I bought for $700 that probably sold originally for closer to $900. It's not flashy. Certainly not an art knife. A non-knife enthusiast would be absolutely shocked if I told them it cost $100.

But it's a custom. Made by a single maker in his shop. It has a proprietary locking system. It opens and closes as smooth as silk and locks up stronger than anyone could want in a folder. There are probably less than a couple of hundred in existence.

If I lost it, I would be devastated but I love it and I'll be damned before it sits at home all day.

Case in point: I own a slipjoint, SFO on a Schatt and Morgan frame, vintage sambar the likes of which probably will never be seen again, I think 2 or 3 of them were made.

I EDC a Vic Classic and an Opinel because they cut as well as any other knives I own.

Is that foolish? I don't think so. But some would say it's stupid.

I could call you stupid if it makes you feel better. :D

Point is, get a knife you like, do with it what makes you happy, and don't listen to what anybody else says.

That's how it works.

Also you can buy really bad knives at any price.

Also midtech and customs have the ability to make really cool and or unusual designs. Where as most mass production stuff is mostly basic. Remember they have to sell alot vs a little.

Also if I plan to collect I would keep them In a safe. Else I just use them. I do use some expensive knives. And if any problems like scratches occurs I can send them to someone to modify or fix or even do that myself. I say if you buy a $400-800 knife, use it. I carry and use my carbon fiber large sebenza 21 and love using it. If I want I can send it to CRK and have them give it a spa treatment some day for a fee.

Last edited:
I've had too many great knives under 200(even under 30) bucks to even consider the higher end ones but I'm more into use rather then "look at my cool knife" type thing. I also don't see the whole fit and finish thing. Look at a 150 dollar spyderco. Where is the fit and finish lacking to such a degree you say to yourself "gee, I need to spend three times as much." That's just me though from a use over form perspective. If spending a lot of money on a knife makes you happy then that's all that matters. And I like seeing the flashy knives here on bf but I won't buy them even though I can afford them. Not my thing.

There is one thing I am adamantly judgy about. Sebenzas are fugly. ;) I just flat don't get the appeal of them.

Back