• MiniChamp

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Rambler

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Other...please explain

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We all love the Vic Classic...but let's step it up a notch.
Vote for your favorite tiny SAK.

For me it's the Rambler.
The addition of the phillips driver and bottle opener takes it above the Classic.

BaBJDpt.jpg

Last edited:
I'd stick with a classic for a few reasons.

1. It has the basic tools that let me deal with small flat screws, Phillips screws, scissors, and a knife blade that is like a scalpel plus the tweezers and toothpick. It cuts, snips, screws, plucks, probes and files. What else am I going to deal with in my day to day existence?

2. Before I got into the classic, I watched my better half torture, abuse, and misuse a classic for a few months without it exploding or imploding under extreme duress. Impressed the hell outa me.

3. I can walk into any big box spots store or Walmart anywhere in the country and walk out with a new classic for the price of a chain restaurant lunch and a beer. Can't beat that with a stick! I can't do that with any of the other harder to find 58mm's. The lowly classic is available at the amor mentioned Walmart, also Target, Academy Sports, Dicks, Bass Pro, Cabela's,
Orvis stores, and just about everywhere they sell sports/fishing gear. This means I can replace it no matter where I am, almost. The other 58mm's are much harder to find or you have to order it online.

No other SAK is as widely distributed and ubiquitous as the classic.

Now that my go-to pocket knife is the executive, my wife still carries her classic, as does my sister in law Diane, sister in law Rommeli, my brother in law Roy, cousin Scott, niece Allyssa, Niece Amanda, Friend and neighbor Howard.

It's the most produced and sold pocket knife in the world for a reason.

I'm not a fan of the 58mm Vics. Just way too fiddly. I like a a stouter blade and I don't like knives on my keys. I tried the Mini Champ but besides the blade size it had against it, it also had some tools I consider useless. I much prefer the Cadet size and up. I carry a 2" A.G.Russell titanium "ultimate pen knife" in my wallet and I like that blade a lot more than the ones tiny Vics have.

Has to be the classic, If there's anything more I need than the scissors and driver it's pliers and a small multitool is what I want.

Classic. Always the Classic. Others might be more capable but it's what I cut my teeth on. Used it today to cut out the eye and mouth holes in a homemade Luchador mask I made.

The Rambler gets my vote, although I gave my Rambler to my wife and I now carry a Minichamp. I like the pen and some of the extra tools on the Minichamp, but the Rambler is about ideal for size plus tool selection.

I too selected the Rambler. That little Phillips is great for all those small screws you find on various electronics, and the ability to open a cold one without breaking a tooth is pretty handyo_O

For several years, I rolled with a Rambler, but these days I prefer the Manager because of the pen. After several experiences of losing my BP pen or having it run out of ink at the wrong time, I saw the value of having a reserve pen ready for backup, and on several occasions, it came in handy. Also, it has the Boy Scout symbol on one of the scales, so I think of it as my Boy Scout knife, the one I didn't have as a scout myself. All in one, as they say.;)

Personally, I actually like the side where the Classic’s knife blade (and the Executive’s main blade) is located, more than the way the Rambler’s is set up. I don’t carry my SAKs with my keys, so the SAK’s key ring attachment doesn’t bother me, but I don’t like the main knife blade on the same end as the tweezers and toothpick. I’m used to the small SAKs having their key ring attachments near the main blade pivots, and having the opposite arrangement for the standard-sized SAKs.

Jim

For several years, I rolled with a Rambler, but these days I prefer the Manager because of the pen. After several experiences of losing my BP pen or having it run out of ink at the wrong time, I saw the value of having a reserve pen ready for backup, and on several occasions, it came in handy. Also, it has the Boy Scout symbol on one of the scales, so I think of it as my Boy Scout knife, the one I didn't have as a scout myself. All in one, as they say.;)
Unfortunately due to disability I can't hold a pen that small :(

I too selected the Rambler. That little Phillips is great for all those small screws you find on various electronics, and the ability to open a cold one without breaking a tooth is pretty handyo_O

Do you mean to say you have opened bottles of beer with your teeth? Yow! :eek:

Are you on very good terms with your dentist?:eek:

Last edited:
There isn’t a beer, or any drink on the planet, worth chipping a tooth over to open (IMO).

Jim

Especially when its soooo easy to open a beer with a Bic lighter, house key, folded up dollar bill, spoon, butter knife, SD tip of the classic nail file, table edge, P-38 can opener, large nail, or a dozen other items used carefully.

Back