Tiny EDC knife in category 1 or 2 supersteel.

Looking for a tiny and lightweight EDC knife to gift to a very special someone. I really like the look and size of the spyderco ladybug, and was wondering if anyone makes something similar or smaller in either category 1 or 2 super steel.

Quick list of attributes that would be ideal:
  • Steel type: CPM-S90V, M390, CPM M4
  • Uses: Small utility - cutting open boxes, tags off clothes, opening bubble packages, etc
  • Corrosion resistance: not too important
  • Edge type: plain (non-serrated)
  • Looks: preferably doesn't look mean. a bright yellow handle would be fantastic.
  • Other considerations: this is a special gift for my non-knife SO, and would love to give her something she is fond of carrying for the rest of her life.
  • Budget: up to $300 retail (so $150 used?)

I haven't had much look in my search and wondering if going a custom route would make more sense.

Are you set on a folder? Survive Knives has a nice necker in M390.

Are you set on a folder? Survive Knives has a nice necker in M390.
Yes, a folder style would be preferable. Looks more friendlier in an urban environment. The necker is indeed sweet though :)

Have you seen the ladybug in ZDP-189?
Definitely the closest I've come across so far, and well priced too. However, would like a category 1 or 2 steel. ZDP-189 was rated as category 4.

You are going to have a hard time finding anything that small with an expensive steel. Honestly Spyderco is one of the few I know of using steels like that in such tiny folders.

Spyderco Air - looks classy, wharncliffe cuts great, good build quality, and CPM-M4 steel. I love mine. Blade is 2.5", and it fits in the watch pocket on a pair of jeans.

It's a little bigger than the Ladybug, so not sure if it's small enough for you.

Comparison w/ Ladybug and Shallot:

11uZs1I.jpg

Edit - haha, y'all beat me to it. So I guess I'm +2 on the Air.

Yes, a folder style would be preferable. Looks more friendlier in an urban environment. The necker is indeed sweet though :)

Definitely the closest I've come across so far, and well priced too. However, would like a category 1 or 2 steel. ZDP-189 was rated as category 4.
Where are these ratings you're referring to? I don't see a chart. And have you tried steels like ZDP yet, or have you just decided to skip over them? Some of the "best" new supersteels require a lot more to maintain the edge, which to me represents a negative quality.

Just curious why such a high end steel requirement for a small light duty knife that's being given as a gift to a non knife person?

Yep, Ankerson's the Man.
My first thought on this was also the Gayle Bradley Air. 2 1/2" blade of M4, thin blade, will slice like mad.
You can get a new one for a bit over $150. Nice and light; 1.3 ounces. Awfully nice.

Last edited:
I would recommend the Spyderco Dragonfly in H1 steel. Bright yellow handles, well within your budget. H1 edge retention gets better and better the more you use/sharpen it. You said corrosion resistance isn't important, but this happens to be 100% impervious to corrosion.

I love my H1 knives. I have the Dragonfly, Salt 1, and Pacific Salt.

Other than that I would also recommend the Spyderco Gayle Bradley. I like the one with Carbon Fiber scales. Probably one of the only folders you're going to find with one of the steels you listed that isn't a midtech or custom.

+3 for spyderco air. The only downside is there's no clip or lanyard hole, so carry options are limited.

Can't think of the model but benchmade makes a small tasteful knife in m390. Think it is carbon fiber scaled with blue or green anodized titanium liners.

I agree with the other poster who was wondering they the need such a high end steel? If you're giving this to someone, you should make sure they can handle sharpening it. Doesn't matter which category the steel is in, it'll need to be sharpened. Secondly, you'll really open your options if you consider categories 3-5 or even 6. All of which are excellent steels.

But if you're 100% set, then I can't think of anything besides the Air.

I got my sister and daughter the Spyderco squeak ,and they really like them ,my sister was dicing garlic the other day with it :),cracked me up....and now they come in pink they are n690co not a super steel but decent nevertheless.

I have a BM 755 MPR; it's a fat, heavy, short brick...with a nice blade-steel. The G.B. Air is a super idea and the H1 steel Dragonfly is also well thought of.

Last edited:
Back