Tiny EDC knife in category 1 or 2 supersteel.

ZDP-189 has an HRC of 65-67 and is considered category 4!!!! You have to be kidding. Get her a knife with S30V, a tough all round steel.

Been itching to check out the full size. Can they be de-assisted without affecting detent or anything?

I know the full size can be de-assisted without adversely affecting anything. I bought a black barrage and de-assisted it (not a super straightforward process, however) and it was centered with good retention and detent. Flew open silky-smooth, too. It never needed assisted opening to begin with, IMO.

Is the recipient a fan of supersteel and spendy knives? If not, you might as well get her Ladybug 3 or Leatherman PS3 and save your money. In other words, are you buying to make her happy or to make you happy? Just something to ponder. Rock on.

ZDP-189 has an HRC of 65-67 and is considered category 4!!!! You have to be kidding.

Amen.

It's one of the last steels I would recommend for an average person's EDC though...it can chip if misused due to the hardness, and it's challenging to sharpen without good skills and tools.

S30v or CPM-154 would be great choices.

BM 707 sequel in M390
BM 556 mini grip in M$
BM Shoki in M390
BM 586 mini Barrage in M390

Spydero Ladybug/Manbug in ZDP
Spyderco Dragonfly in ZDP
Spyderco Air in M4
Spyderco Chaparral in XHP

most have been covered, but I just wanted to make a list to +1 all the ones I like.

I get that whole steel snob thing; I suffer from the same condition. However, as has been pointed out, Ankerson's list is really more of a starting point for your own investigation rather than an consensus view of how various steels compare.

That said, if you want a small knife for her, I can recommend the Dragonfly and the Ladybug in ZDP-189. Frankly, it may be a while before either is produced in M4. If you like the Ladybug size, but want some jimping, give the Manbug a look. Blade under 2" long but a nice feel to it.

If you are like me and you keep your girlfriend's knife sharp for her, then you'll appreciate a good steel. My girlfriend uses her Delica professionally as a veterinary technician (slicing through abrasive cotton bandages many times a day) and I check it every week. Often, all I have to do is use some alcohol wipes to get the goobers off the edge, then strop it a couple of times and it's back to shaving sharp. It's "merely" VG-10, but VG-10 was a super steel in its day, and I still consider it to be a fine steel.

Of course, there's always the Zero Tolerance 0777 M390....

One other point is that the cutting performance of the knife depends more on the geometry of the blade than on the steel itself. The Manbug in ZDP-189 comes in a full flat grind, which is an excellent grind for cutting performance (cue rants about preferred blade grind).

I think your other real option is to go custom where you can specify exactly what you want and maybe your maker of choice will have access to some of Ankerson's grade 1 or 2 'super' steels. Sometimes a bit iffy.

Best of luck to you and I hope she enjoys it.

I agree with Neil here.
Why not go the custom route , or at least a made-to-order knife? I bought a Hybrid Friction Folder from Filip deCoene this year and it's a phenomenal little EDC knife. The blade is only 2" in S30V. The whole knife is less then 4" but if you want something even smaller take a look at the Mini Friction Folder, this is a sample picture from Custombladeworks website:

dscn7029_zpsec3b6477.jpg

dscn7036_zpse42ebe84.jpg

Reason for wanting a supersteel:
1. Want to gift something that will still be on the cutting edge of steel technology decades from now. And I under the notion that M390 and CPM M4 are the 'best' and newest supersteels on the block.

Decades? M390 and M4 will absolutely NOT be on the cutting edge of steel technology 20 to 30 years from now..look at how far steel tech has come in just the last 5 years..steels that were thought exotic a few years ago are now quite common.

Limited Edition BM707 in M390 with Blue Aluminum scales with a G10 insert.
check it out on BM's site.
Here's mine.....with custom scales of coarse. ;)

Decades? M390 and M4 will absolutely NOT be on the cutting edge of steel technology 20 to 30 years from now..look at how far steel tech has come in just the last 5 years..steels that were thought exotic a few years ago are now quite common.

Not entirely true, what about BG42 and Stellite 6k?

Perhaps not the cutting edge per say. Some steels that are still considered super, are not new. A11 (10V) was made in 1978, CPM-S110V's patent was filed in 1992 and so forth. D2 if I properly recall was made around World War 2. Even alot of todays steels that are fresh to the market are twists on previous steels. CTS-XHP, B75P ect. The

Last edited:
Spyderco Gayle Bradley Air or Fallkniven U1

I'll second the above. Opening letters, boxes, light use either could last a year with some light stropping here and there.

I did this with the U2 several years ago, and my brother is using his Air this way now.

Haynes Stellite 6 K has been around since 1913. The price is $265/lb., and nobody has any. It is a super steel, but there is no steel in it. It is about 1/2 Chrome and 1/2 Cobalt. It requires no heat treating, but it is used to make tool bits that last 3 X as long as normal bits and withstand red hot temperatures. It excels as a hard facing product used to coat bulldozer blades and teeth on steamshovel buckets. The high temperature resistance allows it to be used for Sodium cooled valves in racing engines. It is used to make the fuel injectors for rocket engines because it doesn't melt at elevated temperatures. If you drop your Stellite knife in the campfire, you can laugh at the world (and replace the handle).
Even though CPM S110V was patented in 1992, I didn't my first S110 knife until a few years ago, and now they are discontinued (Kershaw Shallot).

Been itching to check out the full size. Can they be de-assisted without affecting detent or anything?

Yes, no problem with de-assisting. Here are two videos i found in youtube about it.
[video=youtube;D9yzYVJnBPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9yzYVJnBPk[/video]
[video=youtube;IPsTAEUTbQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPsTAEUTbQ8[/video]

The knives made by Filip deCoen are very interesting. Thanks, orixa for sharing!

Benchmade Shoki 480-1

IMG_1674copy_zps89a8a6fc.jpg

I'ts not tiny, but it carries tiny. M390, titanium liners and carbon fiber, 1.8 oz.
Show her some pics and let her choose.

Back