Tip up or tip down carry

Tip up or tip down carry. Your preference is:

• Tip up

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Tip down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I know this has been debated to death but I've not seen a poll on this so here it is.

I prefer loose in the pocket, but I'll play anyway. Tip up if clipped or in belt pouch, tip down in neck rig.

Paul

Almost bitten once by a tip up knife.
I swapped it for a tip down.
The only time I almost got bitten by a tip down is when I accidentaly knocked the flipper on the CRKT M16.

I prefer tip-up for everything except round hole knives(spyderco)
For some reason the round hole just works best tip-down for me.

Jeff

By an overwhelming majority it appears that tip up if the preferred method of carry.

I don't know about overwhelming majority. The margin of error on this survey is around 17%. This means that in actuality 95% of people in this survey could give results ranging anywhere from 87% to 13% in favor of tip up to 53% to 47% in favor of tip up.

I prefer tip-down in belt carry sheath, Sebenza.
But I like 710 Axis wiht tip up.
Perhaps this simply shows more tip up people are anxious to express their opinion :p

Regards

Martin

I prefer tip down in belt pouch carry, and tip down in pocket carry. I guess I'm in the minority:(

I've adjusted to both, but do prefer tip up.

But with how slowly I draw a knife, it really doesn't matter. ;)

Before I had my first Sebenza, I would have said tip down. Now it depends more upon where I carry a knife. I've been bitten by both, depending on where the blade was carried.

Paul,

We are assuming he is talking about folders...tip down in a neck rig could be messy! ;)

Steve-O

We are assuming he is talking about folders...tip down in a neck rig could be messy!
lol :D

Like Paul I'll take loose in the pocket over either method, but if the knife is well made tip up is my preference. Unless it is a folder in a neck rig ;)

Calyth, I did the same with my M16 a few weeks ago, went through my pocket and part of my middle finger. But I still vote for tip down.

Tip up. That's how my REKATs are set-up, and that's plenty good-enough for me.:).

TIP DOWN!!! I've a good friend that had $17,000.00 worth of surgery to repair a severed tendon in his thumb due to tip up carry. It's been almost a year, he still has a long way to go before it will be as good as it will get. The blade was slightly "open" and he did not realize this. Hand goes in waistband, one clean cut. Ouch!!!!:eek:

Got to vote for Tip Down!

I have carried a CQC7 for years, tip down equals no accidental cuts.
Started carrying a Commander, in the past 4 months tip up equals 3 cuts. Now the Commander is reserved for front pocket carry where the Wave feature really rocks!

Carrying style is inside the waistband behind by right hip.
For me, tip down allows for a quicker opening. Tip up, I have to reposition my hand to open. Add stress into the equation, and it may be fumble city.

By an overwhelming majority it appears that tip up if the preferred method of carry.

And if the ovewhelming majority voted to jump off of a high cliff, would you jump too?

All the polls in Poland won't change the fact that tip-up is intrinsically dangerous.

I have a good friend who is a mechanical engineer. One of his favorit maxims is, "Don't fight gravity. It's a loosing battle."

Tip-up fights against gravity. Gravity will pull the blade down, open.

Tip-down works with gravity. Tip-down uses gravity to keep the knife safely closed.

If you don't believe in gravity, then jump off of that cliff. If you do believe in gravity, then carry your conventional folding knife tip down.

Originally posted by bladezealot
TIP DOWN!!! I've a good friend that had $17,000.00 worth of surgery to repair a severed tendon in his thumb due to tip up carry. It's been almost a year, he still has a long way to go before it will be as good as it will get. The blade was slightly "open" and he did not realize this. Hand goes in waistband, one clean cut. Ouch!!!!:eek:
Tell me about it. My thumb suffered a huge cut from a can lid and made a flap on the top left corner of my thumb. Although that part is reattached, it isn't as sensitive as the rest of the hands and have much thicker and drier skin.

Back