Tip up or tip down carry

Tip up or tip down carry. Your preference is:

• Tip up

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Tip down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not too many months ago, I would have replied "tip up." I've changed my mind, though, and not just for the safety issue; I've simply gotten more accustomed to tip down carry. I still enjoy my tip up knives, but, given a choice, I'd prefer tip down.

tip up, if it is against the seam of your pocket, which is where it should be, I don't see how it can open if it wanted to. Tip down, what is to stop the back of your hand from pulling it open as you pull your hand out of your pocket after digging around (?) for your keys or whatever. Tip up with the same Bob Terzuola for over 12 years thru everything (and it shows it), but it hasn't got me yet. I did try carrying an LCC in my left pocket (with the BobT in the other) but learned within a couple days that was a dumb idea.

Look on the bright side...tip-down may be slower to get out, but at least it's less comfortable to use once it gets there. And those tip down liner locks, and autos...woohoo, if a blade's going to open in my pocket, please let it be toward my inner thigh. Sure hate to cut anything valuable. And those beautiful customs with those gorgeous bolsters...a clip will make a great theft deterrent. Just slap one on the bolster, and camouflage the fact that there was a great-looking knife there a minute ago.

And while we're talking about clips...what fool would want to have a tip-up clip that allows for a more natural presentation, without having to reposition the hand after withdrawal, a clip that doesn't interfere with the index finger, and offers better control and comfort? Surely not anyone who actually uses their knife alot:rolleyes:

Man, what a tough choice:p

Tip up just seems to lend itself to more natural presentation and opening at least to me. Never came close to a bite except with my SERE 2000 when the thumb stud snagged on my pocket. Still looking for the thread that discusses shaving part of the off-hand thumb stud.

:cool: Tip down definately I cant count how many times I've put my hand in my pocket to get something with a tip up design cliped to my pocket and pulled out a bloody finger. I also prefer the blade to face my backside so as to give me added security from opening accidently in my pocket.

I definitely prefer tip down, but I take my chances with tip up sometimes, as some of my favourites are only available in that configuration.

I don't know about your blades coming loose in your pants but that is very hard to do if the blade is against the seem in your pocket, so if it is in your right hand pocket it goes all the way to the right. makes it impossible to open.

as far as safety goes, it is an edge and I have seen people get cut doing all kinds of things. With my spydie delica I can't even try to cut my thumb. I have been carrying tip up for 5 years never cut myself opening the knife.

I guess what I am saying is you can't make a knife fool proof, cause a fool is gonna get cut one way or another. :D

And if the ovewhelming majority voted to jump off of a high cliff, would you jump too?
Yeah, wouldn't that be a blast.
All the polls in Poland won't change the fact that tip-up is intrinsically dangerous.
The latest BF poll shows that 54.17% disagree with you.

Look on the bright side...tip-down may be slower to get out, but at least it's less comfortable to use once it gets there. And those tip down liner locks, and autos...woohoo, if a blade's going to open in my pocket, please let it be toward my inner thigh. Sure hate to cut anything valuable. And those beautiful customs with those gorgeous bolsters...a clip will make a great theft deterrent. Just slap one on the bolster, and camouflage the fact that there was a great-looking knife there a minute ago.
LMAO

I wonder if you could buy a knife that locks both open and closed with over 500lbs holding power would settle this question?

Originally posted by Arlee
I wonder if you could buy a knife that locks both open and closed with over 500lbs holding power would settle this question?
Sorry, but nothing will ever settle it. It's really just a personal preference thing, and both sides of the argument have valid points (especially my side:p).
I think we can all agree that trying to carry a clipped knife horizontal in the pocket would suck, though.

Back