Tip up vs Tip Down: Does it matter, and why?

I own both types and carry both types.
I find that for small knives the speed of deploy is about the same but for larger knives tip down is much faster. I've done experiments with both and when pulling a large knife, even with my long fingers, my thumb is several inches from the thumb hole. Even with medium size knives I got in the habit of pulling the knife out, tossing it up in the air and catching it flipped around and then I can open it. It works well enough in normal use but is not 100% secure. A large knife carried tip down has the thumb hole right at my thumb when I draw it. Also I typically wear tight jeans and that makes a difference. I've seen videos of people quickly deploying large knives while wearing pajamas, but I don't own any pajamas and even if I did I couldn't wear them out of the house.

I have had folders open twice accidentally while handling them, they were older folders that had essentially no detent. My modern folders with detent have no problem with accidentally opening so I don't worry about carrying tip down. There are stories of knives opening in pockets and cutting clothing and/or flesh, some people are conservative and wish to carry their knives with the blade against the edge of the pocket to keep it from opening. Other reasons for tip up are to use a wave opener or to carry a knife with a lanyard. Not everybody cares about speed of deploy, even people that prefer tip up sometimes admit that this slows down the deploy of something like a military.

So there are lots of reasons for carrying one way or the other. Everybody is free to do as they please and there are plenty of good knives made each way. You will find that in polls like this something like at least 3/4 of the responders prefer tip up.

I'm not doubting ya'll at all, just having a hard time picturing how that would happen with a knife that has anything near a detent.
I have no idea how/why it opened. The pivot was not loose, and the blade does/did not fall freely. It was clipped in my left rear pocket; but, being alone in the pocket (and since the pants were not even close to snug fitting) the knife tended to wander a bit.

Tip up always feels right for me. Comes out of the pocket and deploys without any finger adjustment

I can go either way with a pants pocket. When I carry in a shirt pocket, I naturally grasp the knife between my thumb and middle finger to draw it. That puts my index finger right on the flipper tab with a tip-down knife. It's natural and convenient. A tip-up knife in a shirt pocket is more awkward in my experience.

I prefer tip up . But I like my Millie. I started carrying it again in the left hand pocket only as a safety precaution. My ZT and Hinderer flippers in the right side tip up.

I am a tip down in the right back pocket kind of guy. I think I just got used to tip down years ago when it seemed to be the more popular configuration.

I usually find tip down more comfortable in the hand than tip up.

I find the biggest factor for clip orientation is how the knife feels in hand in use, but I would never discriminate a knife solely due to a fixed clip position, even if I felt the clip could work better elsewhere. Generally, longer knives (5"+ handle length) get the tip down treatment and ride in my back pocket, so the blade creases my pocket seem; conversely I carry smaller knives tip up in front pocket to the same effect (typically). I find peace of mind plays a factor on type of lock used more than actual tip orientation for pocket carry. Back-locks or slip-joints are usually a no-brainer and can be carried in any fashion for me. All other locks are treated differently regarding safety of carry and orient accordingly as to how comfortable I am with them.

Both positions can draw and drop naturally into hand, so that doesn't matter for me, but I prefer tip-up for being more comfortable in the most important part of the grip - the forward half near the pivot.

If it's clipped in my R front pants pocket, I generally prefer tip up, though I'm perfectly fine with the Spyderco Military, which is tip down. If a knife were clipped in my waistband, I'd prefer tip down. For me, I general, the higher up it were clipped, the more I'd prefer tip down, and vice versa.

Jim

I prefer when the tip doesn't stab my leg. So tip up please. If it's tip down I'm forced to carry in my left or back pocket. Thankfully it's only the spyderco military which is worth doing one of those ways. But not right side front pocket like every other knife.

You clip pocket knives in more than one location? You madman.

What are you some kind of renegade troll?

It depends on the knife. I prefer tip up but I just can’t believe how many tip up vs down threads there are.

Reactions: Mo2
My preferences but nothing is a deal breaker. If the knife is tip down only, a good chance the clip comes off.
1. Tip up
2. No clip
3. Tip down

Tip up :thumbsup:. It makes for faster deployment with the knife being in position to flip open quickly instead of having to rotate it. Tip down is more of a safety thing IMO but some knife shapes will only allow for tip down carry due to scale contouring or tip lock latches. Tips up till Death for me :D.

On a smaller to medium knife I prefer tip up and medium to large tip down .
It makes a difference when deploying were your hand positioning is at for faster deployment.
I wouldn’t get get hung up on the it must be tip up only trivial cool factor .
A perfect example is the Spydie Military as folks are crying for tip up and I can tell you it was designed for a reason tip down which is your fastest form of deployment.

Lockback, (vertical carry) tip up, blade aft in a belt sheath.
Slipjoints loose and horizontal in the bottom of my pocket.

I don't own a knife with a clip or one hand opening.

I won’t buy a tip down knife, it’s awkward and non sensical. Plus with any type of spring aided opening it’s unsafe, like the guy on here who almost got a DIY vasectomy from a Kershaw.

He didn’t realize it had fired, cut his clothing and him...first thing he noticed was the warmth of blood...flowing from his scrotum...

Cross legs now.

One of the first posts I've read after joining the forum today. Ouch and I have much to learn to not CUT.

Always fob attached to the clip for much faster draw from the pocket, always tip up and preferably waved blade, if not - by drawing the knife out of the pocket via the fob, your grip naturally falls close to the thumb stud/disk/flipper tab and you can open the blade by riding it to the locking feedback. Not much of a grip adjustment if any. Safest and fastest way for me, tested.

Always fob attached to the clip for much faster draw from the pocket, always tip up and preferably waved blade, if not - by drawing the knife out of the pocket via the fob, your grip naturally falls close to the thumb stud/disk/flipper tab and you can open the blade by riding it to the locking feedback. Not much of a grip adjustment if any. Safest and fastest way for me, tested.
I also like a fob/small lanyard so it sits in the crease of my palm when I pinch the knife with my fingers for deployment. But with that being said the shape and the size of a knife makes a huge different for me wether tip up or tip down works better.

Back