• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Tired of Bad Mannered New "Shoppers"

There have been sales threads that have been locked for a long time, but get bumped up when someone posts, "still available". It doesn't take long for a sales thread to end up many pages back . Plenty of knives have been sold by members using the search function. Locking the thread keeps people from posting in the thread. and that is a good thing.
If they can't send me a pm, I'm not interested in selling to them.

I can't really follow your 1st line. If it is locked how does someone post in the thread, and there is no bumping of exchange threads.
Please clarify
after that all is clear

Last edited:
I can't really follow your 1st line. If it is locked how does someone post in the thread, and there is no bumping of exchange threads.
Please clarify
after that all is clear

Wait, what did I say. I meant to say that people have sent me a pm long after sales threads have ended.

Posting by the seller in a sales locked thread won’t change the position of the thread (move it up). But it will change its status 3 different ways that I know of (there may even be more ways I don’t know of).

1. If I’m subscribed to watching the individual forum, any new post will show in my watched list and send me an email or notification or both, depending upon my settings preference.

2. If I’m subscribed to the individual sales post, any new post will show in my watched list and send me an email or notification or both, depending upon my settings preference.

3. If I have marked the individual forum “marked read” or I have read the individual post, it will change color from a bright unread/new post text color to a faded read/ color. Upon the seller posting in his locked thread, this will change the color back to a bright unread/new post color again.

This is just my observations that I’ve noticed.

Posting by the seller in a sales locked thread won’t change the position of the thread (move it up). But it will change its status 3 different ways that I know of (there may even be more ways I don’t know of).

1. If I’m subscribed to watching the individual forum, any new post will show in my watched list and send me an email or notification or both, depending upon my settings preference.

2. If I’m subscribed to the individual sales post, any new post will show in my watched list and send me an email or notification or both, depending upon my settings preference.

3. If I have marked the individual forum “marked read” or I have read the individual post, it will change color from a bright unread/new post text color to a faded read/ color. Upon the seller posting in his locked thread, this will change the color back to a bright unread/new post color again.

It does make it appear as a new post.

I joined here as a gold level member 3/18/2018 and did some lurking before that since about 2016 maybe a bit sooner. I have noticed a change in the knife exchange from back then till now. At first I was of the understanding that the exchange was for members to help other members acquire knives for their personal collection at a reasonable price. Or to liquidate a collection to other collectors who shared the passion for knives. I bought a few like that at a reasonable price and I haven’t sold any of the knives I’ve bought since then. If I ever do it will be to a paying member here in good standing who has contributed to this site and is a genuine knife nut.

Now a days it seems it’s become another auction site open to anyone willing to pay the price or make an offer for less and maybe flipped on another site for a big profit. Kinda sounds like an auction to me. There are a few knives I’d like to get to go in my collection but the prices and seeing the flippers who only post activity is in the exchange, It really has dampened my interest and I rarely check the exchange anymore. It just isn’t as enjoyable as it once was.
Absolutely , what was once people selling an occasional knife to fund the purchase of their next new obsession has become more of a marketplace for part time " knife dealers " for the mere price of a Gold Membership. :rolleyes:

One thing that needs to be said is that if someone is a d!ck in negotiating a deal will likely continue to be a d!ck when executing the deal and will likely be a d!ck after the deal. Hence, it is always worth trusting your gut reaction with folks and staying away from those that strike you the wrong way.

So I listed a knife for sale. At 0200 this morning a new member used his first post on BF to say "I'll take it". I posted on his profile that I would need references from other forums or someone on BF to vouce for him. I then noted in my sales thread that the knife was still available.

It's hard to tell if the new member joined to buy a knife and then use PP G&S to rip off the seller or if they just happened to find the knife of their dreams that I know is not available from the maker or dealers.

What would you do?

So I listed a knife for sale. At 0200 this morning a new member used his first post on BF to say "I'll take it". I posted on his profile that I would need references from other forums or someone on BF to vouce for him. I then noted in my sales thread that the knife was still available.

It's hard to tell if the new member joined to buy a knife and then use PP G&S to rip off the seller or if they just happened to find the knife of their dreams that I know is not available from the maker or dealers.

What would you do?
I saw your post, I would request PayPal F&F, USPS M/O or no sale… time stamps make me question.

Joined at 3:25 AM
Posted in your thread at 3:35 AM
Last seen at 3:36 AM

What would you do?

He likely joined to buy the knife. BF threads come up on google and such, so if he was looking for that knife on a search engine he would see it for sale. This has happened to me a number of times, and on some fairly($500+) knives. Even when I was using PP, I asked for USPS money orders. PP G&S seems to be able to beaten ( or at least cause you grief) if they are clever enough. The end result however, has been great transactions and no problem with the buyer, other than convincing them I wasn't the scammer(for asking for money orders-this took a little talking through).

He likely joined to buy the knife. BF threads come up on google and such, so if he was looking for that knife on a search engine he would see it for sale. This has happened to me a number of times, and on some fairly($500+) knives. Even when I was using PP, I asked for USPS money orders. PP G&S seems to be able to beaten ( or at least cause you grief) if they are clever enough. The end result however, has been great transactions and no problem with the buyer, other than convincing them I wasn't the scammer(for asking for money orders-this took a little talking through).
Exactly. I would guess there is a great number of members here that joined because they were Google searching a particular knife and stumbled upon this treasure: “Oooo.. a place to buy and sell knives?? Don’t mind if I do!!”

What would you do?
When in doubt skip it.

New member, not based in US, which is fine with me, but with ZERO feedback wanting to pay by PayPal Goods & Services and having me ship to an address not associated with PayPal account. GTFO

One thing that needs to be said is that if someone is a d!ck in negotiating a deal will likely continue to be a d!ck when executing the deal and will likely be a d!ck after the deal. .
^ This 🤠

And let me be crystal clear regarding my position here on BF's: KELAMA, doesn't deal with d!cks!!!

I'd like to share a self empowerment song (that hopefully can help some of the other member's here), that I wake up & listen to every single morning. These are the profound word's (lyrics/mantra) that I subscribe to & live by: "Don't be a d!ck .........Don't be an a$$hole .........Just be nice ....You don't have to be that guy....... Just show respect.....Just be a person............Love one another you don't need a reason why................................ DON'T BE A D!CK!" .....DON'T BE........"

I must say, that fortunately for me, I have have the very good fortune in my tenure here, of dealing with 99%, really awesome members... & only 1 d!ck that in retrospect, I should've lit up here.

Back