• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Tired of Bad Mannered New "Shoppers"

If I've stated something is NIB, and someone asks "What is the condition?", I probably wouldn't find that a very helpful question. If they have specific questions - "Is it centered?" "What's the lock-up?" etc - I'm fine with that. I do find it strange that a number of people have said something to the effect of "It arrived in much better condition than I expected" for something that I've already stated as NIB.
That's probably because "NIB" and "perfect lockup / centering / etc." aren't the same thing. I appreciate they should be and that folks see them as such.

I've absolutely gotten brand new knives from a dealer that had F&F issues out of the box.

I've done F&F transactions here - both ways, and never got burned. It's scary sending a stranger $2000 F&F but I CHOOSE to trust people here. I don't feel like I'm abusing PayPal - not in the least. They have made plenty of money off me as I've used them since their inception. As for FB or IG, no way. :rolleyes:

I’ve seen this stated many times and as anyone who’s sent a payment this way can tell you, PayPal is still getting paid when you use F&F. It’s just the sender that is paying the up charge.

I’ve seen this stated many times and as anyone who’s sent a payment this way can tell you, PayPal is still getting paid when you use F&F. It’s just the sender that is paying the up charge.
Not necessarily. If you keep a balance with them then its free. If you're doing it via CC then, as expected, you pay the toll.

Not necessarily. If you keep a balance with them then its free. If you're doing it via CC then, as expected, you pay the toll.
Ahh, did not know that as I never keep a balance and just pay as I go. Thanks…

From a newbie perspective:
Joined the forum after lurking so i could pm a seller and negotiate an offer. It seems common sense to make offers via pm, and use the the sale thread for common questions or unqualified ill take it. I have only dealt with 4 sellers, but all have be classy and generous in dealings and helping to ensure i don't screw up the process. I have esspected how they prefer payment, and decided if the ask for ff, then i will just have to take the chance based on their reputation.

Now for a question, for a seller, what is considered a lowball offer? I have tended to make an offer based on condition, availability of blade, and of course desire to own. I see alot of ask prixes that are bordering on retail, and therefore naturally offer at a lower price. I certainly would not want to offend, and generally think of it as a negotiation, with the seller having an opportunity to counter offer.

Lawilli2 Lawilli2 Welcome to blade forums.

I’m not an expert, nor am I an authority on anything. I’ve sold knives and bought a few though.

I consider low ball offers The ones that usually border between offensive and comical.

Example:
Seller - Asking $350.00 OBO
Potential Buyer - Would you take $100 goods / services ?

Offers Best sent via pm

Do some research on the item being sold. Offer accordingly

Last edited:
luethge, thanks for the reply. That would certainly be extreme, and i would be embarrassed to have my name attached. I would guess if i felt blade was that overpriced, i would assume maybe there is something i don’t know and would bow out of negotiating at all.

From a newbie perspective:
Joined the forum after lurking so i could pm a seller and negotiate an offer. It seems common sense to make offers via pm, and use the the sale thread for common questions or unqualified ill take it. I have only dealt with 4 sellers, but all have be classy and generous in dealings and helping to ensure i don't screw up the process. I have esspected how they prefer payment, and decided if the ask for ff, then i will just have to take the chance based on their reputation.

Now for a question, for a seller, what is considered a lowball offer? I have tended to make an offer based on condition, availability of blade, and of course desire to own. I see alot of ask prixes that are bordering on retail, and therefore naturally offer at a lower price. I certainly would not want to offend, and generally think of it as a negotiation, with the seller having an opportunity to counter offer.

When some douche bag offers $500 for a sold out, limited edition knife posted at $685.

That depends, if you are transferring from your bank there is no fee. There's only a fee if you're paying F&F using a credit card, and even then it's not clear that it's PayPal's fee or just the pass-through credit card transaction fee that PayPal incurs.

Sometimes, in general, not just in this forum, you see people asking more for a used / new item than it is actually selling for new, currently. GEC is an example, where some less popular models (SS keychain model comes to mind) are available at dealers for a lot less than what people are asking for on ebay.

Still, the idea of haggling is quite popular in many countries and ebay, and sometimes these low-ball offers are what enables people to get a "deal" and tell us about it. I too do get some stupid offers in items I sell, not here and no knives, and I either ignore them or come back with a counteroffer. Generally I assume a seller should be able to come down by 5-10% on the asking price, if they want to sell, and take this into account when they price their items.

Personally, I don't inflate my prices to accommodate dickering. The price I post is the price I want. I don't get offended by reasonable offers; but I'm rarely inclined to consider/accept them.
I also don't consider low offers (20%, or more, below my posted price) to be conversation starters or a beginning of negotiation. It's kind of funny how some people think nothing of offering 2/3 - 3/4 of asking price, then get insulted/upset (in some cases insulting and abusive) when their further attempts get shut down.

I don't make a ton of offers, but if I do I usually cite other sales or open posts to show it has some basis and isn't just a "$xx cheaper than you listed" type of offer.

The best way to deal with this is to flag the noise for removal. Because that’s all this variety of comment is, noise. No meaningful point to it. The mods usually remove it within a few hours. They’re pretty good about it. I’m very thankful that I haven’t had to deal with this sad behavior too much through the years. Thanks mods.

Thing is, many simply don’t read original posts and/or care about respecting poster’s wishes anyway. It’s something that one has to deal with here. After awhile you learn to love your thick skin.

Yeah, I kinda thought you might say that after I sent the post. I guess you just have to say, "no thanks".

Still amazes me that a person would feel insulted by an offer made in a marketplace forum.

How hard is it to ignore or reply no thanks?

Back