1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Titanium Endura liners?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by petah, Dec 21, 2015.

1. petah

petah

Jul 22, 2008
    Maybe overkill but I'd like some...

2. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    What do you think that would do over steel liners?

3. Surfingringo

Surfingringo Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2013
    They wouldn't rust. I'm more than happy with the linerless salt knives for that purpose though.

4. fetzer85

fetzer85

Oct 17, 2012
    Cost more? [emoji3]

5. petah

petah

Jul 22, 2008
    Just more rust resistant. Ti liners and hardware would mean less maintenence but with the added cost it is likely not marketable for anyone other than knife nerds.

I would think Spyderco has all the tooling needed and already has much of the parts needed to do it.

A parts conversion kit would do it.

6. Kwon Kwang

Kwon Kwang

Jul 7, 2013
    I wouldn't be for it; the cost to benefit ratio is very poor.

7. bearfacedkiller

bearfacedkiller Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    It would add cost but not much else. If corrosion is a major concern then just get a linerless salt knife. To put an H1 blade and Ti liners in the Endura4 would make a knife that was way more expensive than a Pac Salt.

8. fetzer85

fetzer85

Oct 17, 2012
    Maybe DLC coated liners would be more economical?

9. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Economical has no place in a titanium thread. Realistically, there are plenty of stainless steel alloys that don't make good blade steels but resist rusting well enough to require no more care than titanium. I'd be willing to make a small wager that such an alloy is currently in use in the Endura. Titanium would save you a few grams of weight, but the amount of weight savings would probably not be noticeable, and this is coming from a man who carries a CF military because the G-10 versions are heavier. I am not, however, one of those people who think "titanium" is justification enough in and of itself for any added expense. I'm quite sure the O.P. can get custom titanium liners made for his Endura. It shouldn't cost more than three or four times as much as the MSRP of the knife, and it would give him the bragging rights he no doubt wants. Asking Spyderco to shoulder the expense of producing them when even the regular repair kit seems to have been dropped from the lineup seems...well, selfish is one of the words that springs to my mind.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  10. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    I have a ZDP Endura that takes a dip in the Pacific when I am surf fishing
    and I have not had any rust issues.

All I do is a fresh water rinse before I leave.

But if you truly want a rust free knife.. get a SALT series.

11. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Petah,

As mentioned, probably cost prohibitive any way we would try to do it.

sal

12. petah

petah

Jul 22, 2008

13. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    What would make more sense would be just straight ti handle as a sprint run but still there is no reason.