Titanium Millie; pivots & problems

I just got a titanium military that I wanted for a long time and I really like it buuuuut... first off it was really stiff to open & close,almost to the point of binding up. Almost needed two hands to open/close. Ok couple drops of clp then adjust the pivot. No luck there . The pivot on it has two screws,most pics I ve seen show a pivot with only one....interesting. anyway I decided to dissamble it, clean up whatever is in there maybe polish washers like I'd done with many other folders with good result.
There's when the fun began. Had to gently but firmly pry the handles apart after removing the screws and it wasn't easy. The fit of the pivot ,stop in and lanyard tube are beyond tight.got it apart,cleaned out some clear grease polished washers and reassembled. Sort of. Almost.
Everything else will mate up with the handles except the pivot. Any advice from those that have done this? Very frustrating. I have successfully disassembled many types of folders but this thing! Maybe I should throw it in the river and buy a Sebenza, I hear those are meant to be taken down and maintained.

Sounds like you don't know what you're doing. And trolling for an argument with Spyderco hate.

If you have 2 pivot screws, then you have the newer CQI one. I find the Military easy to disassemble. Two handle screws and one pivot screw are all you need to break one down. If you are putting it back together, shoot for lining up the pivot first and the stop pin will fall right in. Adjust your pivot tension first, this will get your blade mostly centered. Tweek the centering a bit more, hold it and then tighten the handle screws.

Here's a simple blade swap I recently did and both knives came back together perfectly afterwards. Took a total of 10 minutes to do...
v8txLqK.jpg

Not trolling for an argument or meaning to hate on Spyderco,sorry if I vented too much frustration. My other spyderco (pm2,g10 millie,slys bowie) are great and need nothing. Perhaps I have been spoiled by other titanium framelocks that were slick and fall shut out of the box,to consider that this one was built to wear in . Thanks 91 bravo,I will try your advice. Yes live and learn stop and consider as well I guess.

You should just have let it break in a bit. Where did you get the idea that just buying it and then taking it apart is a good idea? Live and learn.

Joe

^THIS. Word of wisdom.:thumbsup:

I have gradually learned not to take apart knives especially new ones. Plus, Spyderco knives are not the easiest ones to disassemble, although the military is relatively easy.

OP - You dont need to separate the scales completely. Turn them away from each other on the lanyard tube, as 91bravo picture shows.

A plus, the detent on this Ti Military is like a bear trap. It's smooth as glass, just lots of tension from the lockbar. More so than a g10 model. I actually like the increased tension, it makes the lockup feel much more solid. I've played with mine all weekend since the blade swap and the action is really smooth now.

Dont forget that the pivot bushing is shaped like a D so it doesnt spin when you open and close the knife. Make sure it is aligned correctly when you reassemble it

Dont forget that the pivot bushing is shaped like a D so it doesnt spin when you open and close the knife. Make sure it is aligned correctly when you reassemble it

x2. If you only disassemble the clip side scale, the D notch stays assembled on the other side.

There are some that just need breaking in. The big K2 came so tight that some thought it was defective. Those that just kept it and let it break in by itself were rewarded with one of the most amazing and superbly built production folders ever sold. I'm very glad I have mine. Over 4 inches of wonderfully high performing 10V tool steel in a tank like knife that would make Swiss watch makers happy. :)

If you want the cutlers at Spyderco to put it right just box it up and mail it back. It won't be expensive. Probably just the cost to mail it back unless you actually broke something.

Good luck.

Joe

Thanks to all for the information ,very useful and constructive . Got it back together ok using the clip side - pivot on lanyard tube method. Still a super tight fitting of the pivot to the handle but it fit. True about the d shape on the lock side of the pivot, that's a good feature. I have some knives with free spinning pivots but those are another topic. Anyway the Millie is smooth and quick now no binding feel and with bank vault door solid lock up. Feels so nice in my hand and draws from the pocket easily,not to forget that blade which is a cutting machine. I learned a few things from my knife as well as all your replies. Thanks again Blade Forums !

Took mine apart today and I would like to replace the washers. Is there a source for new washers?

The one is discolored. I couldn’t get it clean.
They dont need to be cleaned. They should work fine without issues. No source for them either. You would have to measure them and find a set or ask spyderco warranty.

You can always rub those washers on a compound loaded strop to polish it up.

Back