Titanium Sword ?

I think he was talking about MAKING the sword out of magnesium. Sure, if it pops fully formed out of someone's forehead, it might work. But it would be a pain to make a sword out of magnesium; if you're forging it, well, 'nuff said. If you're grinding it, it's gonna get hot enough to probably burst into flames. Seems to me you're only thinking about using the sword, not how it comes into being...

I think he was talking about MAKING the sword out of magnesium. Sure, if it pops fully formed out of someone's forehead, it might work. But it would be a pain to make a sword out of magnesium; if you're forging it, well, 'nuff said. If you're grinding it, it's gonna get hot enough to probably burst into flames. Seems to me you're only thinking about using the sword, not how it comes into being...

Geeze, are mag-wheels really that obscure? They've been around since the 60's, and have been pretty mainstream on overpriced sports cars since the 80's or 90's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mag_wheel#Magnesium_alloy_wheels

Forging can be done by a one or multi-step process forging from various magnesium alloys, most commonly AZ80, ZK60 (MA14 in Russia). Wheels produced by this method are usually of higher toughness and ductility than aluminum wheels, although the costs are much higher.

Hell, Remington made the lower receiver of their new ACR out of magnesium alloy, so it has to be machinable as well. I really didn't think magnesium alloy would be that obscure.

Yeah, I've got a magnesium alloy receiver myself. But I'm pretty sure it was cast, and I don't know that most knife or sword makers would have access to the kind of machinery and tools that it would probably take to machine magnesium alloy, let alone temper it. The receiver that I have is pretty easily scratched. It would be awful in a sword in it's current state. I'd wager it would take some specialized equipment and know-how to work with magnesium for a sword, and I don't think there's that many people that know how to temper magnesium alloy appropriately for a sword.

I thought the movie industry liked magnesium alloy blades in the old days because they make a nice sound when struck together....

Yeah, I've got a magnesium alloy receiver myself. But I'm pretty sure it was cast, and I don't know that most knife or sword makers would have access to the kind of machinery and tools that it would probably take to machine magnesium alloy, let alone temper it. The receiver that I have is pretty easily scratched. It would be awful in a sword in it's current state. I'd wager it would take some specialized equipment and know-how to work with magnesium for a sword, and I don't think there's that many people that know how to temper magnesium alloy appropriately for a sword.

Castings really have to be machined, to be usable for stuff like that. Holes, channels, etc., can't possibly meet the tolerances necessary, unless you're using one of those new amorphous alloys.

Anyway, though, the subject of the thread was if a titanium sword has any advantages over a steel one, so I've been thinking functional advantages rather than manufacturing ones. I guess titanium is more easily cast than steel. But anyway, the vast majority of sword makers would also be a combination of clueless and frustrated with titanium, considering that the alloys hard enough to realistically make a blade are around 35 to 38 Rockwell C hardness when dead-soft annealed, and require cryo age-hardening (I think for 3-6 months?) to reach their full hardness of 42 to 45-ish. About as strong as 4140, dimensionally, at the same hardness, though. Great for lightweight gun parts, but not much of a sword. And you obviously need a CNC machine and a truckload of bits. :p Titanium's a real bear.

I'm also not sure if the aluminum or magnesium parts would even need to be tempered, for the kinda design I was talking about. Steel cutting edge laminated with something light, with the steel providing more than half of the rigidity and all of the edge, with the lightweight bits just making it a little stiffer and changing the overall edge geometry for better cutting performance (like machetes are too thin to split wood well, without batoning).

Like I said in my first post on this thread, not practical for much. I can't think of a thing. A sword or axe would end up too light. A scythe doesn't need edge geometry all the way to the spine, I don't think. Machetes are generally supposed to be so cheap they're semi-disposable, like a giant X-acto.

Only thing I can possibly think of for a laminated sword in general would be laminating wood onto steel, in the event of an extreme metal shortage. Now I'm picturing what I'm going to call the Redneck Buster Sword. Take a very large large woodcutting saw, rig up a sword grip for it, sharpen and contour the back edge (so it's a sawback sword!), split a 2x4 lengthwise and broadwise, laminate that to the saw using rivets and JB weld, keeping it at least 1.5" or 2" or so back from the cutting edge, then contour and thin the wood bits so they still keep it stiff, but any added resistance is minimal, when cutting a soft target. And then JB weld it to the wall for display, so no one mutilates themselves with the sawback while trying to carve up a tree. :p Well... maybe I should call it a Redneck Buster Sword if you remove the sawteeth, and an IRA (the Irish one) Buster Sword if you leave them on!

Uhhhh....I made a beta Ti Waki (23" long) for a customer and will make one for myself. It was 5/16" thick and is differentially HT...The edge is well over 50Rc btw...it can be done. They cut well but the weight factor makes it more work for cutting practice. Horribly expensive for what it is, but it was desired...and some of us know how that can be! So I don't get one of those, " No Pics, It didn't happen!" things...here.....AL6V Ti Heat colorized guard, gray stingray, gray epoxy cord, kydex sheath....all matte glass bead finished. "Yuurei" (Ghost)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You are welcome to ask how I did all this in a regular shop- no CNC at all and regular drill bits. The guard is interference fit. It will never come off with out cutting...let's just say I have a knack for metal and I worked for Boeing Commercial Airplanes for 11 years....

Last edited:
BROE! Thanks for posting that! ...I wish I could get my hands on some Beta Ti

Uhhhh....I made a beta Ti Waki (23" long) for a customer and will make one for myself. It was 5/16" thick and is differentially HT...The edge is well over 50Rc btw...it can be done. They cut well but the weight factor makes it more work for cutting practice. Horribly expensive for what it is, but it was desired...and some of us know how that can be! So I don't get one of those, " No Pics, It didn't happen!" things...here.....AL6V Ti Heat colorized guard, gray stingray, gray epoxy cord, kydex sheath....all matte glass bead finished. "Yuurei" (Ghost)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You are welcome to ask how I did all this in a regular shop- no CNC at all and regular drill bits. The guard is interference fit. It will never come off with out cutting...let's just say I have a knack for metal and I worked for Boeing Commercial Airplanes for 11 years....

Sweet! I'd love to see a thrusting sword done in it, as I feel that would be the most logical application for Ti in a sword. Maybe something like a bronze-age thrusting sword, 1908 cavalry saber (complete with bell guard), or a colichemarde smallsword.

I'd imagine that for a short battle, a flaming magnesium sword would have a psychological effect on the enemy. Just wear a fireman's suit!
It's the ghetto lightsaber!

Hmmmmm....Take a magnesium pipe, plug the end, drill a bunch of little holes in it, then fill the middle with thermite! :D:D:D

I've had a few people ask for a titianium machete/short sword.

After explaining what it would cost, I never hear back from the client!

It would be kind of cool though!

Reviving an old thread rather than making a new one.
Reading through it seems like an all Ti sword would either be a bad idea, or that it would be crazy expensive if made to really work well.
Then I came to think of this..
Titanium-sword5.jpg

it's a katana by global gear, they call it "Titanium infused". What I think it really is is some sort of titanium coating all over a carbon steel blade.
This is appealing to me for 2 main reasons. 1: The looks. 2: Durability, low maintenance, rust proof, etc.

(SBG review: http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/titanium-swords.html - they do not retail the sword themselves )

I have read on another forum that the coating on this particular sword wears off too easy, removing both the things I wanted it for. Especially if cutting through fruit, the juice simply smelting it off? o_O

But would an actual infusion of steel an Ti be possibly, with the purpose of rust proofing and getting a neat color? Or would it be possible to make a good enough coating, that will not easily wear off?

So you people, knife makers, sword smiths. What do you think? I am thinking a blood red rapier with black guard and handle would be an absolute menace!

Last edited:
It looks dang nice.^
I'd prefer an all Beta Ti or Ti laminate blade. Right, William?

Back