TL-29 Carry

RMO

Hi folks, I have a TL-29 knock-off but it's still a nice knife . I'm getting to the point where I find it more useful all the time. My question is ,considering the bulk of these tools, were they originally meant to be carried as a pocket knife or in a belt sheath?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I never thought about it, but if TL stands for Tool Linesman's, maybe it would have gone in a tool belt.

They were issued to signalmen with a sheath that held pliers as well as the knife

wwii-linesman-tl-29-tl-13a-utica_1_6a7b070d933bfc49f3fe1bdc8f9450e7.jpg

wwii-linesman-tl-29-tl-13a-utica_1_6a7b070d933bfc49f3fe1bdc8f9450e7.jpg

The TL29 is "bulky"?
I thought they were about the same bulk as a regular two blade, two spring jack knife the same size, and just as easy for pocket carry.

SteveC is right. The sheath can sometimes be found on that auction site. Sometimes even with the pliers.

I pocket carry a TL-29 often. My belt is for pruners, sheath knives, or fencing pliers.

I picked this one up serving in the CEC...a long time ago.
Brought it back to life recently when I stumbled across it in an old tool box.
I'm more of a casual pocket knife user so this brass dangler I picked up isn't too obtrusive for my occasional use.
Wearing Levis it just touches the bottom of my pocket.
Handy knife though, I should have grabbed a bunch of them when I had the opportunity.;)
HXja2D2.jpg

While the TL-29 was intended to be issued in a double sheath, the sheath also holding the lineman pliers, it was also a popu8lar issue item on its own in the army supply system. Not as popular as the MIL-K-818D, AKA 'demo' knife, but still a very common item in our engineer units.

A lot of the personal took some wide olive drab nylon webbing, and sewed a simple pouch sheath, just deep enough to swallow the whole knife and leave the bail sticking out the top to grab. This out the TL-29 or MIL knife on the back web belt that held up our fatigue pants.

If the parachute harness material was not available, then a length of cord was used t make a lanyard. The lanyard was just long enough to allow the knife to reach the bottom of the pants pocket with the end knot of the lanyard shoved under the web belt of our pants, thus preventing loss from falling out of said pocket. If it slid out of pocket then, it would just be dangling against your leg and instantly noticeable.

A third option that was used for the TL-29 and any SAK that was carried, was to button it up in the top right pocket of our fatigue shirt with a olive drab lanyard just slightly sticking out to grab. If we were around officers or headquarters company, we just shoved the lanyard down in the pocket until we got out of there, and back in the field to whatever project/construction site we were on.

In civilian clothing, we'd just drop it or the MIL knife in the jeans pocket. It rides there just fine being about the same size as a two blade jack or stockman.

The TL-29 is just about the size LxH of the GEC 77, though thicker. It’s a pretty practical jackknife shape. Big enough to grab and cut, but not huge. A touch too thick for me for civilian carry though. I find I like thin, relatively unobtrusive knives.

I have a couple of the TL-29 knives and have gifted a few . They are a very substantial knife but I do not remember ever trying to carry one probably because a the weight and I have better cutting knives and screwdrivers . My Dad was an Electric Lineman and I would have very much liked to have gifted him one though .

Harry

I found that the TL-29 was a little bit bulky to put in gym shorts and similar light weight clothing, but was just fine when nestled next to my wallet in khaki trousers - it might just be a question of getting used to the extra weight or balancing it out with something in the opposite pocket.

I have a pretty standard set up for my pockets, however - phone in the left, wallet, chap stick, and knife in the right, so I am used to having something taking up that space anyway - though it is normally a smaller Case jack knife or Mini Copperhead.

Back