TM Hunt Pen Pal Apprenticeship. A Knife WIP!

Zach, the knife looks and feels great! Excellent job! :thumbup:

My life is a lie......
Get used to it, kid.

IMG_20141220_121424_944_zpsujysb4mu.jpg

I also have it on good authority that Todd dances when no one is looking.... But I doubt that really comes as a surprise to anyone.
IMG_20141220_120513_781_zps3r6nxzwd.jpg

^^^ I'm gonna have to remember to keep y shop doors locked on days you threaten to come by! ;)

Oh man, that turned out nice! I really like the engraving.

Makes me want to get back at it and finish the other two blanks I have cut out.

Once again, awesome job!

Jeremy

Oh man, that turned out nice! I really like the engraving.

Makes me want to get back at it and finish the other two blanks I have cut out.

Once again, awesome job!

Jeremy
Thank y'all!! I may be biased but I feel like the whole package has come out real nice. It's definitely going to be something to try and beat on my next projects. So excited to get this thing in hand.. can't say it enough :D
Zach, the knife looks and feels great! Excellent job! :thumbup:

Get used to it, kid.

IMG_20141220_121424_944_zpsujysb4mu.jpg

I also have it on good authority that Todd dances when no one is looking.... But I doubt that really comes as a surprise to anyone.
IMG_20141220_120513_781_zps3r6nxzwd.jpg

Your knife is done and in the mail Zach!

Seriously awesome thread to read through guys. Could definitely feel the excitement and sense of accomplishment throughout. Well done! This was a very cool thing for an established maker to do. Congratulations on your successful project IWHF and thanks to Todd Hunt for helping someone with your time and experience to do this. Gorgeous knife!

OK first off a big thanks to all who have viewed, stopped in, commented, and complemented.

Today at 4 o clock and some change, the knife that started some 15 months ago arrived at its final destination. I am so very thankful to have been part of this whole thing.

Haven't had a chance to take too many pics thus far cause the dang thing hopped out of the box and jumped right on my belt! Going straight to work! Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to take some shots of it doing what I hope it'll do best ;) stay tuned cause even if things are technically over, its not over till its over!

Thanks everyone!

Well as promised here are some pictures. I am extremely happy with the way everything came together and turned out. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking ;)

Absolutely love getting packages that I know have blades them... I'm sure yall understand... No idea how this one got to me without addresses or anything on it ;) LOL

Inside we find something quite awesome. Todd did such a good job making this sheath. It is well built and it has excellent retention. Also Todd's choice of color for this was absolutely spot on, really contrasts with the lighter color of the handles.

After thinking about it quite a bit I finally decided on an etching for this knife. Todd was able to hook me up and it turned out so very good. Todd also wanted to put the final edge on it for me, he did of course a fantastic job.

As a nice little surprise Todd added a neat lanyard on here for me. I had sent it to him with just a simple tied piece, but having it come back like this shows he cares even about the little details. I really like smaller what I call "pinky" lanyards on smaller/medium sized blades.

Here I grabbed some other knives kinda in the same size and usage range to give everyone an idea of the size and shape of it. Also it shows you how wide this sucker is.

Those pieces beneath the blade are the pieces that I sawed, filed, and hacked off as I was making this knife...

For right now thats what I have. I plan on taking some more as I use the knife as a bit of a demonstration but wanted to take some finished pics before the knife starts earning its keep ;)

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks great! It was fun reading through this and seeing the progress.

Hey guys and gals...

Well I wanted to make a quick update to this thread to kinda show you this knife in action. Regretfully I did not get to take a lot of outdoorsy type pics, but a lot of food prep type pics lol. Every time I was outside with it I was kinda preoccupied I guess. Who knows, but this progression kinda shows the formation of patina and what not.

Fiddling around making tiny feathers.

My kids eat tons of fruit for snacks and meals so I get to cut up a ton of stuff...

Makin sammiches...

This winter has been kickin this houses booty in the sickness department. I also HATE these packages so 9 times out of 10 I just end up cutting them open.

Ended up making guac twice in the past couple weeks. One was just a simple tomato, avocado, and lime, while another one I made super complicated with roasted veggies and what not.

Also I LOVE rare steak... I mean just marinated, then let it look at the fire for a few seconds... :D

Last edited:
Some last shots I guess.

I cannot say it enough... Todd did such an amazing job on this sheath. It carries good, has fantastic retention, no wobble, and it looks dang good. I have gotten tons of compliments on the sheath, Kudos to Todd.

Guys this has been such an incredible journey over the past year. This project has really influenced me in a very big way. My family was completely supportive throughout the entire process and each (even the kiddos) provided input :D I really have to take my hat off to Todd with this too. Todd gave me the kick in the backside I needed to take the headfirst leap into knifemaking. He also taught me A LOT during it, stuff that I wont ever forget. Todd also took his own valuable time to answer my questions, provide fantastic feedback, provide materials, give clear and precise instructions, and also be a friend and a genuinely fantastic human being the whole time. If your'e thinking about a blade from him DO IT! Especially before he blows up even more!

I have said it a billion times probably but I will say it again, Thank you Todd for everything. I owe you buddy, and I hope we can work together again some time.

Thank yall again for looking, who knows where this is all going to end up, but I hope that someone else can see this and decide for themselves to take the plunge and file out a plunge ;)

- Zach (Iwouldhurtafly)

There is a whole lot of sexy in the photos above Zach!

Cheers,

Tim

Its really rewarding to see these pics and hear (read) the replies. Yes, I did reach out to IWHF. Yes I did provide guidance and materials. My reasoning for it was just because even though I did not know Zach, I admired his enthusiasm about the craft, so, I decided to see what he was made of. Having not many tools, I knew if he took me up on the offer, that he was going to work his ass off. There would be a good chance he would get frustrated and give up. So, in my quest to have better faith in mankind, I gave him a opportunity to impress me, and boy did he ever.
This experience for me was not one of teacher and student, it was one of two people, strangers in this case, on different levels but joined buy a common interest. Low and behold, over the years time, not only was a knife made, but so was a friendship, and all it took was for one person to offer to help someone, thats all I want to take credit for folks. Zach did all of the work..........
Zach, this is the first time I have ever done anything like this, I just want you to know, that the pleasure was mine. I am so happy with what you accomplished for yourself. I hope it is a great tool for you for many years to come and a constant reminder to you that you can accomplish anything you decide to set your mind to. Now that you know how to do it. I expect great things from you. Lol. Who knows, I might be buying stuff from you someday.
Let me know if I can help you out on any future projects!

Back