to cut out or not

Just wondering what everyone thought about blade cut outs, like them ,don't like them,pics, opinions, thoughts. Just wondering as I haven't seen this addressed. I personally like them for display but not for users.

I like them. Wouldn't hesitate to use it either if your using the knife for what its' designed for I can't see it breaking.
Your bear is one of the best I have seen.
I have a 192 with a buck cut out, I like it for what it is but it's not the neatest pattern. I do like the hoof print on the pommel very well.
Buck 192 Deer cut out (1).jpg

id think that itd weaken, but buck does it on the 106 and 108 and those are hard chopping tools. thicker stock of course, but still.....

I'm not really a fan. doesnt do anything for me. I see them as neat and enjoy lookin at others, but dont buy or really want cutouts for my own.

Personally I think it is an extra step in the blade making process, I have about 13 knives with cutouts in the blade and really enjoy looking at them but I agree the blade can't be as strong as a solid blade. I have a few users and a lot of display knives,hope to see more pics and opinions.

I think of my knife collection as an art collection. That viewpoint often influences the type of knives I like to buy and cut out blades fit my definition of art in metal just fine.

192-dolphin-03-jpg.909690

Last edited:
I agree with the art in metal theory, I think the cut outs in the blade are good if there done tastefully and buck is one of the best at it.

For collecting "Metal Art" yes I like them when done with taste but for using? well lets just say I know where this blade would break if I were to abuse it.
oBqiXwH.jpg

I think they can look good if done nicely but I would never buy one.

I often thought I’d start a thread about cut outs but never did.

As art I can see it. On a user no. I don’t have any and would not buy one.

Personally I think it is an extra step in the blade making process, I have about 13 knives with cutouts in the blade and really enjoy looking at them but I agree the blade can't be as strong as a solid blade. I have a few users and a lot of display knives,hope to see more pics and opinions.
So lets see your cut outs.
Sure its not as strong but its not a prybar either and plenty strong to use as a knife.

That dolphin is cool. It does look like it could possibly pop out though.

That dolphin is cool. It does look like it could possibly pop out though.
If you live ok close it is only held on but the tail and dorsal fin, the nose isn't connected. That is a very cool one. I somewhat regret not picking it up when it was for sale, but glad Roger got it. I believe it is also marked WBC.

I like them. But there isn't a knife I own that I wouldn't use for it's designed purpose........

It's pretty cool to field dress game with an awesome knife.

I'm not fond of blade cut-outs, have passed on a few really nice knives because of it.

I love cut outs . I have several. Similar to along the lines of what DeSoto said. I view my knives as an art collection. I have about 130 knives. I had them all out on display before I moved into my new house. Soon enough they will be all out again.
I would say out of those knives I may use 2 or 3 of them .

I have never seen the doling cut out before, it must be pretty rare ,it looks like it is very delicate, definitely for display. I will try to post some of mine today.

...I somewhat regret not picking it up when it was for sale, but glad Roger got it. I believe it is also marked WBC.

I found it at a local gun show...only one I've ever seen. Did you see one on the Bay or did we both come across the same GS dealer?

Back