1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 29 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Ron Flaherty Folder , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

to cut out or not

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by m r merrill, May 25, 2019.

1. Easyrider

Easyrider

Jan 31, 2000
    For me it is something I doubt very much that I would buy. They are kind of neat but not really my taste.

2. m r merrill

m r merrill Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2016
    DSC00015.JPG DSC00016.JPG DSC00017.JPG DSC00018.JPG DSC00019.JPG DSC00021.JPG DSC00022.JPG DSC00023.JPG DSC00024.JPG DSC00025.JPG

3. m r merrill

May 15, 2016
    sorry for the bad pics DSC00026.JPG DSC00020.JPG

gedlicks, jmh33, pjsjr and 3 others like this.
  4. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Not too many 112's cutouts are out there and I try to get every one..Except for a few of largest (the Dolphin is a perfect example) I would use any Buck with a cutout if I wanted too. Like gold etch Bucks they hold up well to normal use. A good comparison is to classic muscle cars some get limited used,some none,and there is always someone who daily drives a Dodge Demon or Hemi Cuda..

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    GPyro likes this.
  5. STEELHEADBULLY

STEELHEADBULLY Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Maybe that dealer had it listed on the Bay before you found it. We went back and fourth and were within 20 dollars of getting it done, then it was no longer available. Think that was a solid 4 years ago, give or take...

6. gedlicks

gedlicks Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2012
    As a general rule the cutouts are not for me but I do have a few that I have ended up with over the years. I think I have a few that I have not taken pictures of yet also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. kossetx

kossetx

Apr 11, 2017
    The only ones I ever cared for is the American/Rebel flag, the elk cutout...and now the dolphin...and those Buffaloes in the chip flint and the horse and rider and....

8. m r merrill

May 15, 2016
    gedlicks those are fantastic. i found a couple more DSC00027.JPG DSC00028.JPG

9. gedlicks

Jun 15, 2012
    That bear cutout vanguard is fantastic.

I found a few more as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmh33, m r merrill, redcanoe and 3 others like this.
  10. sliderfisherman

sliderfisherman

Sep 30, 2009
    I like and own several cut out blade Bucks. I also view most of my knives as art, but I don't see any reason you could not use them. Short of batoning, which I don't understand(that's what they make axes for) I don't see any use which the knife could not handle.

st8yd likes this.
  11. bucklife301

bucklife301 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    38230BA1-6CC2-4E5C-A770-ADF50F386261.jpeg 974CB10F-16CF-43A7-89A2-B65BCDD40B25.jpeg

12. m r merrill

May 15, 2016
    Gedlicks it's a good thing you don't really like them or there wouldn't be any left for anyone else. Buck life 301 the nra vangaurd is nice

sassafrassdogs3 and st8yd like this.
  13. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    James, @gedlicks if I saw one of the Buffalo chippies for sale, I'd change my mind. Those are really nice looking!

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  14. bucklife301

bucklife301 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Thanks it’s my only cut out and it looks good on display

15. gedlicks

Jun 15, 2012
    m r merrill - It's not that I don't like blades with cutouts it's just that they are not really my thing. Most of the ones I have came as part of a large knife collection I purchased a few years back.
    There are just other types of Buck Knives I tend to like and collect more.

Preston - Those 2 chippie buffalo Vanguards are both one of a kind. They came in a collection of almost 150 knives I bought a few years ago. I have never seen another like either one of them.

sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  16. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Thanks, I thought they would be real special...must have been a wonderful, thorough collection!

17. m r merrill

May 15, 2016
    Gedlicks fantastic cut out collection

18. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    My personal preference is no cutouts. Etching and coatings are ok but I’d rather have the art work on the handle. No offense to the Collectors who do like and collect blade cutouts but to me it’s not appealing or desirable. They do look nice and some very good work but I’m still scratching my head as to why on the blade where strength is necessary. I guess it’s because I view knives as a tool for doing work I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it. Lol. I’ll just leave them for those who do like em.

19. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Strength is not necessary where most of these cutouts are for the majority of those who use the knife as a knife!
    Sure i guess it would be nice to have a knife that would take the place of a hatchet, axe,machete, pry bar, screw driver, etc. all in one. It would also be nice if my truck would do what my tractor does or my tractor do as my truck. Wheres the roll my eyes imogee!

20. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    The op did ask what we thought about cutouts and if not. I’m sorry not everyone can agree with your opinions but rolling your eyes is kinda arrogant. I don’t use my knives for any of the terms you mentioned here but I would rather have a full strength blade when it really matters and I am very sure cutouts don’t add to the strength or enhance the usefulness . If you like cutouts that’s great and more power to you but I don’t care to own them or use them. And that’s my freedom to do so thank you!

eveled and bucklife301 like this.