to cut out or not

For me it is something I doubt very much that I would buy. They are kind of neat but not really my taste.

Not too many 112's cutouts are out there and I try to get every one..Except for a few of largest (the Dolphin is a perfect example) I would use any Buck with a cutout if I wanted too. Like gold etch Bucks they hold up well to normal use. A good comparison is to classic muscle cars some get limited used,some none,and there is always someone who daily drives a Dodge Demon or Hemi Cuda..

Last edited:
I found it at a local gun show...only one I've ever seen. Did you see one on the Bay or did we both come across the same GS dealer?
Maybe that dealer had it listed on the Bay before you found it. We went back and fourth and were within 20 dollars of getting it done, then it was no longer available. Think that was a solid 4 years ago, give or take...

As a general rule the cutouts are not for me but I do have a few that I have ended up with over the years. I think I have a few that I have not taken pictures of yet also.

3oitfDd.jpg

Qrr7l4o.jpg

AKgtuwu.jpg

bbpOBKC.jpg

N3mqSY0.jpg

hjXtWpi.jpg

ikO9GXr.jpg

qRhOsSq.jpg

RCr43Mk.jpg

rpbTBXP.jpg

J8HVbOg.jpg

0r3sleC.jpg

d9z4lVN.jpg

Ll8dv6x.jpg

The only ones I ever cared for is the American/Rebel flag, the elk cutout...and now the dolphin...and those Buffaloes in the chip flint and the horse and rider and....

Last edited:
I like and own several cut out blade Bucks. I also view most of my knives as art, but I don't see any reason you could not use them. Short of batoning, which I don't understand(that's what they make axes for) I don't see any use which the knife could not handle.

m r merrill - It's not that I don't like blades with cutouts it's just that they are not really my thing. Most of the ones I have came as part of a large knife collection I purchased a few years back.
There are just other types of Buck Knives I tend to like and collect more.

Preston - Those 2 chippie buffalo Vanguards are both one of a kind. They came in a collection of almost 150 knives I bought a few years ago. I have never seen another like either one of them.

Last edited:
Preston - Those 2 chippie buffalo Vanguards are both one of a kind. They came in a collection of almost 150 knives I bought a few years ago. I have never seen another like either one of those.
Thanks, I thought they would be real special...must have been a wonderful, thorough collection!

My personal preference is no cutouts. Etching and coatings are ok but I’d rather have the art work on the handle. No offense to the Collectors who do like and collect blade cutouts but to me it’s not appealing or desirable. They do look nice and some very good work but I’m still scratching my head as to why on the blade where strength is necessary. I guess it’s because I view knives as a tool for doing work I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it. Lol. I’ll just leave them for those who do like em.

Strength is not necessary where most of these cutouts are for the majority of those who use the knife as a knife!
Sure i guess it would be nice to have a knife that would take the place of a hatchet, axe,machete, pry bar, screw driver, etc. all in one. It would also be nice if my truck would do what my tractor does or my tractor do as my truck. Wheres the roll my eyes imogee!

Strength is not necessary where most of these cutouts are for the majority of those who use the knife as a knife!
Sure i guess it would be nice to have a knife that would take the place of a hatchet, axe,machete, pry bar, screw driver, etc. all in one. It would also be nice if my truck would do what my tractor does or my tractor do as my truck. Wheres the roll my eyes imogee!

The op did ask what we thought about cutouts and if not. I’m sorry not everyone can agree with your opinions but rolling your eyes is kinda arrogant. I don’t use my knives for any of the terms you mentioned here but I would rather have a full strength blade when it really matters and I am very sure cutouts don’t add to the strength or enhance the usefulness . If you like cutouts that’s great and more power to you but I don’t care to own them or use them. And that’s my freedom to do so thank you!

Back