To lanyard or not to lanyard... that is the question

I received a Micarta Beer scout for Christmas and I am totally excited. It is the second knife that I have owned that has a bail. I have an overwhelming desire to put a lanyard on it. What are your thoughts? If you have any pics of lanyards on traditionals, please post them, I would love to see them.

I have an overwhelming desire to put a lanyard on it. What are your thoughts?

That's reason enough for me!

... What're you waiting for? :D

I had a lanyard on my micarta Scout, but have replaced it with a Tec suspension clip. I love how it's strong yet unobtrusive (a wee thing), if a tad too technical looking for me on my bone and wood knives.

p7%20clips.png~original

Whether attached to a bail or through a hole in a knife's frame, when it comes to lanyards proper I prefer simple leather to the more bunchy paracord ones.

IMG_9577.jpg~original

IMG_1345.jpg~original

Tascosa.jpg.png~original

IMG_0004.jpg~original

~ P.

I've never felt the need to put a lanyard on my knives. I just put them in my pocket.

On my knives with a bail, I use a SAK 36 inch chain lanyard. Long enough to use the knife without having to unclip it.

I like a lanyard for fishing a knife out of a pocket with work gloves on. Even though I make and sell a lot of paracord products, I still prefer leather on a traditional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a lanyard on my micarta Scout, but have replaced it with a Tec suspension clip. I love how it's strong yet unobtrusive (a wee thing), if a tad too technical looking for me on my bone and wood knives.

Whether attached to a bail or through a hole in a knife's frame, when it comes to lanyards proper I prefer simple leather to the more bunchy paracord ones.

~ P.

I have to agree, on a traditional knife, leather looks the best.

I'm huge on the lanyard deal. Only leather.

NHpoehI.jpg

I love the way a leather lanyard looks on a knife, and I hate the way it feels when trying to use the knife.

p7%20clips.png~original

IMG_9577.jpg~original

IMG_1345.jpg~original

Tascosa.jpg.png~original

IMG_0004.jpg~original

~ P.

What Beer scout is the top one?

To me, a lanyard is great for some knives but not others. I am not a lanyard lover or hater, but some knives just feel better with them.

I use leather and paracord. I usually use leather on knives with natural covers and paracord with synthetic. I sometimes melt the end of the paracord slightly and join them together making a continuous loop, with no knot.

The only Traditional knives I ever put a lanyard on was this Hayin Helper and this Swiss Champ.

krgmX1R.jpg

l6hYPn2.jpg

Braided leather and a custom bead set the knife off nicely, bead is half mammoth ivory

GEC-23-book23.jpg~original

G2

I have a few knives with bales, but don't like the look of lanyards so none for me. However, if you want to try it go for it! If you don't care for the look or function it is an easy fix:)

Thanks Alan !

and yeah Dave, what the heck kind of garden you got there ? ;) bunch of 'Forget Me Knots' :)
G2

Now thats funny Gary! Built all the knives too. Keeps me out of the bars.

I like a lanyard every now and then. Haven't put one on any knives with bails yet, but I like the look of it. Here are a few knives I have with lanyards.

0F8D88E5-AD53-4DC8-AB1A-10C78DE58B77.jpg

9221E918-DD74-4233-8CE3-8A69FAB1396B.jpg

FF84ECAC-7A01-4773-8BBA-04FE397EA1CB.jpg

C1F25833-7637-455E-B441-1AC920D8186E.jpg

I would say go for it. (It's not like you couldn't just take it off later if you decided to. :D)

Back