To our friends in Texas..

Keeping track and hoping for the best from here ... stay safe indeed

It has downgraded to a CAT 1 now and expected to be a tropical storm later today. Lots of people without power and lots of flooding. The flooding has really just begun. This is going to be bad for Texas folks. Stay safe. They are saying that some folks may be without electricity for a week as the power outages will grow and become more widespread as the storm continues. Makes having a generator on hand something important to at least have a few lights and keep the frig/freezer cold. Certainly provides for a feeling of security.

We don't have a generator yet but want one very soon before the inevitable earthquake hits us here.

I often see 5500-6000 watt generators and up to 10,000 watt at pretty reasonable prices as long as you don't buy one with a Honda engine or a generator made by Honda. I wonder if these $300-$400 generators are dependable?? I have been half way thinking of getting a 10,000 or perhaps 15,000 watt Honda. So expensive for little use. My most used generator is a 2800 watt, but that is not big enough for a house.

Yeah, We just need to run lights and hopefully, 1 fridge even though we have 2.
I like the Honda and my buddy says all others are crap and loud..I don't know.
I can get a Briggs and Stratton for free right now with some free points I have at work from an employee incentive program.

I have two generators; 5500 watt and 2800 watt. They are used for work stuff most often running tools, lights, and equipment. I just had the 5500 watt gone over by a tech. First time since I got it about 10 years ago and I spent about $300 on that effort. Worth it considering the replacement cost. (At the time, it would not start. Not much good if it won't start or run.)

It would not start and I removed the spark plug thinking to replace it. Called the tech to see what is the correct plug and then bought it at an auto parts store. The problem was when I went to screw it in, it was not "finger turning" as is normal at least to start and I was afraid to cross thread things in the softer aluminum housing. The correct angle was not apparent looking at it. So, that ended that and a trip to the tech was in order. The tech basically said it was full on junk in part because of letting the fuel sit in it for long periods of time. So, he cleaned and replaced whatever stuff needed to be replaced.

Both have Honda engines and been extremely reliable overall until the one time with the 5500 which resulted in its repair. The generator tech suggested only non-ethanol fuels to be used unless you are just going to burn it up quickly. The 5500 is powerful enough for what I have in mind; selective running of portions of the house circuits and all non-220 stuff which the HVAC and stove are. So good enough for week long kind of power outages.

So far, I have only needed a generator once at home when the power went out following a close miss by a tornado. I was expecting a several day outage and immediately headed to the gas station to supplement my fuel supply to about 25 gallons of gas. Got home and the power was on. Oh well....

Last edited:
I live near downtown Houston. This is unbelievable. I'll try to post photos at some point.

Stay as safe and dry as possible folks. I am sending what positive energy I can. ArchVV ArchVV Stay safe dude, photos can wait.

More than a years worth of rain in a few days.... I can scarcely imagine.

Yeah, stay safe ArchVV. I don't think I would want to be anywhere near Houston during this storm event. I have relatives that live just north of Houston. The weather folks are saying up to 50" of rain in places spread out over about a week. That is a LOT of surface water.

Thank you, guys. My place and myself should be fine, but I am just in a lucky part of the city right now. All of the city watersheds are way over capacity however, so who knows for tomorrow. It is truly amazing how widespread the flooding is already and there is +/- 25 inches more to go tonight.

Get dry soon.
HoustonFlood-Houston-Flooding-flooding-deaths-galleria-flooded-flooding-video-footage-100-year-flood-rainfall-e1432670590174.png
texas-flood-vigilantes.jpg

The recommend a Spydie Salt series knife for this event. :D

I think most everyone is watching the TV as this storm developed, all the rain, flooding, water rescues, and now the slow movement east. I'm in TN and I was hoping to see some rain out of this event. Been a week or so since the last rain. Only sunny weather forcast .... until only today have they changed the forcast here to include rain during the latter end of this week which I assume will be Harvey related.

For you folks in Houston area and SE Texas, and now SW Louisiana.... keep your powder dry!

Added: The one thing that is missing on the news coverage is the geographical extent of the flooding. My understanding now is that if you wanted to travel into Houston to help, you can't even get there because all the interstates or freeways are flooded at some point blocking highway travel.

Last edited:
I look at the 500 year storm maps for Harris County and the impacted areas don't seem all that extensive as compared to what I see on the news coverage. I believe the mayor said they are about 1 foot above the 500 year event level or area at this point. Am I missing something?

I think we're closer to a "1,000-year" event, but these metrics don't really apply anymore to the modern climate. Last I heard, Hurricane Harvey produced the most rainfall ever recorded in the US.

My best wishes to Texans including my good friends that I have there.

Just wanted to mention that I received an email an hour ago from Rob Rocket Davidson who lives in Texas regarding a knife he is making for me.

I was shocked to the core when he responded adding, quote-unquote, "This has been the summer from hell. Lots of bad stuff happened, culminating with my 27 year old son's death 3 weeks ago. We are nearing recovery and I have gone back to work finally. Really needed to. A parent shouldn't have to bury their kids."

Smoke sent and here's hoping that God returns many blessings to Rob and all his loved ones for their immense and terrible loss.

Back