To the Makers of Things, Show us what you do!

I did that a long time ago, I'm thinking '97. Was a really cool project, I had to learn about wax carving and silver casting for it. Took about 200 hours start to finish. The blade is one of the rough ground and ht by the late Bob Engnath and was a great way to practice hand sanding.

I can't build diddly, in fact, if I even touch it, it instantly has far less value. But, I'm a mole when it comes to digging up the obscure and mundane and putting it to print. This I'm good at. That others find it valuable almost always shocks me. Randall Made Knives Timeline 'The Quick Reference Guide', 4th Edition, June 2021. $8k all-in cost to print and ship; made whole, in the black with a small profit as of today, 45 days after first shipment, 3000 copies in reserve. I cain't spel, muh grammer is pour, but dang it by God, I sure can rite...

ATL4 1.jpgATL4 2.jpg

A knife I forged out of 5160 (only my 2nd attempt at forging a knife...I've made about 4 stock removal prior). Christmas present for my dad.
yIRGBiC.jpg

PVoEuud.jpg

I started leather work to make sheaths for knives sold without them..

xYhrU7o.jpg

yGFJkms.jpg

jvOdQnq.jpg

Below is the first knife and sheath I made. All hand tools until I tried to speed up shaping the g11 scales and messed up the subhilt...

pSK7V0E.jpg

KgGG6ye.jpg

JpqQUEr.jpg

AKPnbDf.jpg

Two self made knives. First forged knife I made top, bottom is 15n20 stock removal (first attempt at hidden tang).
These are my first two knives with wood core sheaths.
pTGBMxE.jpg

The "bolo" is the first knife I made (or first I started, second I finished). Bottom is the third).

PDjtCKl.jpg

I make handkerchiefs occasionally.

lxv9ZrL.jpg

EgLFv5o.jpg

So here's something I actually did make a few years ago...frogs for the CS Laredo Bowie sheaths. Since they had such a large "button", I included a little strap to really lock it in, but also made it removable. I made one of each color for myself, and actually sold one of each on ebay, so I'ze a perfessional! So John, if you ever need leather advice, I'm your guy!🤪

IMG_2916x.jpg
IMG_2917x.jpg
IMG_2908x.jpg

Those are GREAT - my favorite sheath carry option. :thumbsup:

I knew it! I was typing this earlier and had it drafted. Good lookin stuff John!

I don't buy it John, you're holding out on us!
Thanks...you guys are way too kind. Functional maybe, but very crude. I'm fairly handy in general, but more in the vein of maintenance and fixing crap, rather than making/creating things.

Here are some knife handling projects I have done. I've enjoyed doing these but have been humbled by each one. I have respect for the Masters - present company included.

A couple of YP puukko blanks ~

English Elm and Jatoba with a bronze collar sleeved over the Jatoba for the bolster. ~

View attachment 1603687

Teak and deer antler shed and stacked birch bark. ~

View attachment 1603689

Here a blank by ETHAN GOSS ~

Stacked birch bark with bronze bolster.

View attachment 1603691

This one by BogdanS BogdanS ~

Apple Coral and ebony

View attachment 1603693

Some more to come in my imaginings ...

Last edited:
Back