Today's Pile (groups of knives - traditional only)

I could happily be covered by that pile of Winterbottom :cool:

Or even cremated by it :D burial not being to my taste ;)

Gallows humour apart, I really feel moved, as an enthusiast, by those Queen knives:thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. Those covers are what Queen called Frontier bone. It was a "new" Winterbottom that they used after 1946/1947, when Winterbottom Bone Co. switched from the darker "old" Winterbottom that Queen had used since 1930. I'm very lucky to have a couple of those Queen piles. Here's a picture of Half/Stop Half/Stop trying to negotiate a trade of another pile for his single sweet knife (center of picture) over lunch one day. He drives a hard bargain and grips like grim death, but I broke free and saved my pile when he reached for his sandwich.

08b7qCL.jpg

- Stuart

Stuart your photos of your Queen knives continue to amaze me. :thumbsup: My grip may be like grim death but I always seem to find myself reaching for food! Especially a great sandwich like we enjoyed that day! ;) I will say that I was thrilled to be able to Chicken Eye and Coon Finger some of those beautiful and pristine Queens. :)

Wonderful Lion's Share of Lion Steel Tom!! Both Roundheads and Shufflers, cool pile. :cool:
Update when you can,:) I look forward to seeing the White Micarta.

The pics posted above all show some pretty amazing piles! Thanks gents!

Another Variety Pile :)
YxWvUDN.jpg

L-R; Case 22087, Tidioute Lick Creek, Chris Reeve Mnandi, Schrade Tradesman, GEC 15, Victorinox Hiker
Great pile. That #15 is priceless.
Is that Medium Jack in G10 or Ebony?
Love these pile pics, we get to check out so many different patterns in one shot.

Thanks John. What really makes that 15 special is I purchased from a friend. The Case Jack is delrin and you're right... with pile (group) pics ya get to see and compare many patterns easily. Just look at how many great knives are shown on this page alone, yours included.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sounds like you made a good showing. Gives you something to shoot for next year. Hope the sales were good too.

Horsewright Horsewright DAVE!!! That's one beautiful pile of fixed blades! Several I just love, the elk and ram's horn with the small leaf blades to name a few. Very nice, nice display too. Thanks for showing 'em here.

JohnDF JohnDF thanks. Sales a little slower this year. They didn't take a lunch break this year and that was always our big influx of people. I understand why they didn't as it was my wife roping in the dark the year before. But I think it did hurt us some. Never did get the taps finished they are still on the workbench. They were kicking my butt. Our saddlemaker camped with us and I spent quite a bit of time talking with him about them. Think I was making em harder then they are, he's got me lined out now. Funny deal is I made a pair last year as a birthday present for my son. The first one took me and buddy all day to get together. The second about an hour. This pair, this year just wouldn't go together for us. They are bulldog taps by the way. Here's the pair I made my son.

BtQNz5M.jpg

12V32L9.jpg

I do have a pair of eagle beak ones I use when it's colder. They do keep the feet warm. I traded several knives for this pair to another buddy who was also camped with us. It was a leatherworking enclave.

PLuc0lM.jpg

LDqcbau.jpg

Thanks redsparrow redsparrow . Sure appreciate it. I think those are Gordos you are describing.

Horsewright Horsewright Those bulldog taps look great. I know how tough stirrups are to do, sometimes you fight with them and they just don't want to go together. I used to just buy custom oak stirrups to put on my saddles, they looked amazing. I hated to cover stirrups!!! They just take so long, they are so tedious, they are finickey, and they just weren't worth the effort. They are a skill unto themselves. BTW, those long fringe chinks look awesome.

Thanks John. Never tried covering a stirrup. May just leave it that away.

Back