Today's Pile (groups of knives - traditional only)

No, the kydex sheath to the left of it is what sits on the key ring covering the blade.

A better shot of the blade and sheath.

B4uI3u6h.jpg

hSfI7B0h.jpg
Ah yes, that makes more sense. Very cool. :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

I haven't posted a "pile pic" in a little while and I realized, this pile has been on my desk for days. Not having had a need, nor felt the desire to change them out for something else must mean I like 'em a lot and they are special to me. So, I thought I would share 'em with you. :)
Thanks for lookin', hope you like what you see. :)

6rngP3P.jpg

L to R Buck 2018 BF 301, Buck SK Knives 501, Maher & Grosh #14, GEC 2017 BF Knife, GEC SS 74

Last edited:
I haven't posted a "pile pic" in a little while and I realized, this pile has been on my desk for days. Not having had a need, nor felt the desire to change them out for something else must mean I like 'em a lot and they are special to me. So, I thought I would share 'em with you. :)
Thanks for lookin', hope you like what you see. :)

jY5Hj3M.jpg

L to R Buck 2018 BF 301, Buck SK Knives 501, Maher & Grosh #14, GEC 2017 BF Knife, GEC SS 74
A great selection of fine cutlery, James.

Here is my pile area as of today. The gec 82 on the far left and SW 856 on the far right are always out as they are frequently carried. The 82 for work and 856 while off work. The little schrade congress is new to me and hasn't been situated yet (it will not be used, since it never has been;)). Then I have a schrade open stock 787 and 834 out to play around with or carry since they have my attention at the moment. The 881 in the back is always out.

IMG_4252.JPG

This pile developed over the past few weeks. When I looked at it this morning it looked so eclectic, I thought it might be a of interest here. (four brands, three countries, 4 patterns, 7 handle materials)

DkNVqtC.jpg

L to R; Buck BF Knife, Vic Tinker, 77Barlow, Glenbad covered 15, 2017 BF knife, Roundhead and on top - Electrician

High time this interesting thread got a shot in the arm :cool:

Rooting about earlier today and brooding on taste. These knives are fundamentally the size I like to use & carry, around 3.25-3.6" mainly single-blades with the exception of the BB Stockman which is svelte, unlike most of its ilk, the BB Swell Centre being single-spring Pen and the Forum Knife 18 added as the mystery. They also represent good examples of the array of blades that are useful to me, single Spey holds no interest. With Longpull, think it looks at its best on Spear blades probably Lamb Foot/Sheepfoot but I have never seen Longpull on a Lamb Foot,yet. Works least well on large Wharncliffes and in many ways I find Clips more sleek without them.

The Forum Knife is the mystery odd man out, yet in some ways a pointer.;) Yes it's bigger than others and square bolster, it's also 2 spring but thankfully it's a blade at each end, the design I prefer greatly to a Jack. But frankly, I would like all the other knives a lot more if they too were all steel construction and 154 CPM :cool: Heresy I hear some bay, uh uh. The carbon knives look nice with the patina but they require constant use or stowing with oil to prevent corrosion and fouling, I cut up fruit and other foods with my pocket-knives and the Buck deals with it superbly and no metallic tastes or odour, the 154 is beautifully sharp and stays that way for a very long time unlike the carbon cousins. Still, aesthetics is very important to me and this Pile of Today scores highly in that regard.

Let's hope this thread gains speed again it's very interesting and useful to be able to compare styles and tastes :thumbsup:.

FSfYhjA.jpg

Wonderful selection Will! Everyone of those would go in my preferred user pile if they were mine. And as you stated, even more so if made in CPM154. Nice group, thanks for showing them. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is my newest knife passion... I'm really enjoying these medium sized Case knives with serpentine or dogleg frames, leaning more towards the multi-bladed ones. They are so shiny and pretty and just the perfect size. Thinking of adding a Mini Muskrat to the collection next. I'm building this collection on the cheap and constantly looking for the next bargain price to add another one to the pile.

Edit:
It's not about obtaining lots of the same pattern, it's more about gathering different configurations of each. Like another Medium Stockman would be nice, but I'm looking for one with a punch. Same knife, different configuration. You get the idea.

Last edited:
A small pile of those I've been looking at more closely the past few days.
Lamb, Ram and Sheep-foot comparison.

p98cms2.jpg

Thanks for your remarks & thanks for posting these:thumbsup: It's very useful and important to be able to compare various styles and how they evolved, rather than just in isolation. My feeling is that the three are essentially variants or adaptions of the same thing-straight edge, the regional differences might be accidental as cutlers interpreted the straight edge locally. Bear in mind, in those days most people never left the village or town they were born in and had little or no knowledge of outside styles until and if directly confronted by them. Thus straight edged blades such as big Rope knives were common in England and known in France too. The Sheepfoot became a common sight on American multi blades, the Lamb Foot being a tapered variant either by accident or design (that's how we do things here etc) that was popular as a utility blade with English workmen or farmers.

Great picture too that shows the subtle differences between them, the Waynorth being the most 'droop nosed' as it follows faithfully the late c19th Rodger's types with long blade/handle ratio rather than the post WW2 versions. Which are blunter in angle with a profile closer to a Sheepfoot and a shorter blade/bigger handle aspect as seen on Wright knives.

Regards, Will

Back