Todd Begg Steelcraft Mini Bodega Flipper 3" S35VN made by Reate

Just did an impressions video/review on the steelcraft mini bodega, in 1080.

[video]https://youtu.be/vB3LxLpmkM0[/video]

Also, I noticed inside of the handles on the bottom millout of the Ti there are numbers stamped... Are these the number in which they were made?

Nice overview. Good to see both versions back to back. Yours seems smoother than mine.

The box contains the serial number on a label which mine is missing the sticker with the serial number. My Kwaiken has the serial number. So, I have to contact TBK for that.

There is a 3-digit number on the inside of the titanium on the lock side where the clip is. Mine says 296 on the Mini Bodega and 331 on the Kwaiken.

Hopefully, TBK rep will chime in.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, both of mine have different numbers. My blackwash is 440, my stonewashed is 167 I believe. The blackwash that I have is a lot smoother than the stonewashed... I hope the stonewashed will smooth out, but the blackwash is not giving it a chance!

The blackwash that I have is a lot smoother than the stonewashed... I hope the stonewashed will smooth out, but the blackwash is not giving it a chance!

I wish you hadn't said that! :)

Now, I have to get the black stonewashed because it's smoother.

I have a feeling there will be more variations to come like the anodized ones TBK did with the Kwaiken. Perhaps steel grades as well.

They don't have any competition in that size flipper!

I may email TBK to see if they will ano mine if I send it in or if I should send it to one of the many pimpers... I REALLY want a bright purple, blue or green blackwash! I think a bright color will make it pop a lot more. I really can't get over how great these blades are!

I think they just might!

A3940416-E637-439C-A72F-5D613AAFA738_zpsfn2e9qj0.jpg

I just wanted to post up some comparison photos. I thought some people may like to see how it stacks up to a couple folders I have on hand. Hinderers are all 3 inch versions, purple delica, bm 940, Cally 3.5.

My impressions of the Mini Bodega are nothing but perfect, the f&f is as good as any other knives I have, flips like a 12 yr old Olympian and the factory grind is great. Love it!!!

c6c0d091046b36fbe0b09334236e61f6.jpg

fa2e2306dd08ca87221b2784c5cf61c4.jpg

14e9c64d4f6679fd9a47b11e54dd2036.jpg

37f48d7fab62db251d324abcab5566aa.jpg

4feba116f63e748392a67152ba492e6c.jpg

7c97a1a29e234911e98a51c114f3745f.jpg

I've been carrying my Steelcraft Mini Bodega for a week now and I really love it. A couple of observations...

Mine initially wasn't as smooth as my Steelcraft Kwaiken, but after compulsively flipping it for a week (You HAVE to sit and flip a knife constantly while watching The Walking Dead, right?), it's now one of my smoothest knives. The detent is perfect and for a 3" blade and I'm amazed at how well it flips. It puts my LionSteel TRE to shame. With such a short blade, it can't rely on inertial mass to complete the deployment and lock-up. The consistency with which this knife fires and locks up amazes me. It's the same every time and that just tickles all my knife nerves.

I love how the millwork on the handle is both decorative and functional...a great mix of art and utility!

I haven't had any slippage on the flipper tab, but that may just be due to Ram and Blues noting that potential and I was unconsciously more careful. I guess a little mild jimping would be cool there...

The "snail stalks" that make up the attachment point for the clip initially bugged me a little bit, but they feel far less awkward in hand and pocket than they look on the table. Hey, not like all the other knives, right?

I have average sized hands and the grip feels just a little short to me. I'm not sure how comfortable this knife would be with extended cutting tasks. I wish there was a little more handle...or the flipper/fingerguard were shifted forward just a bit. That's the real culprit...the finger guard takes up the first 1/2" of the handle.

All in all, it's one of my favorites. I'm glad I was able to get one. I hope Begg knives will give us an option to send our knives in for pimping (and jimping), this is a great knife to modify and personalize. Thank you Mr. Begg and Mr. Deng! Another project completed with outstanding execution!

Last edited:
I've been carrying my Steelcraft Mini Bodega for a week now and I really love it. A couple of observations...

Mine initially wasn't as smooth as my Steelcraft Kwaiken, but after compulsively flipping it for a week (You HAVE to sit and flip a knife constantly while watching The Walking Dead, right?), it's now one of my smoothest knives. The detent is perfect and for a 3" blade and I'm amazed at how well it flips. It puts my LionSteel TRE to shame. With such a short blade, it can't rely on inertial mass to complete the deployment and lock-up. The consistency with which this knife fires and locks up amazes me. It's the same every time and that just tickles all my knife nerves.

I love how the millwork on the handle is both decorative and functional...a great mix of art and utility!

I haven't had any slippage on the flipper tab, but that may just be due to Ram and Blues noting that potential and I was unconsciously more careful. I guess a little mild jimping would be cool there...

The "snail stalks" that make up the attachment point for the clip initially bugged me a little bit, but they feel far less awkward in hand and pocket than they look on the table. Hey, not like all the other knives, right?

I have average sized hands and the grip feels just a little short to me. I'm not sure how comfortable this knife would be with extended cutting tasks. I wish there was a little more handle...or the flipper/fingerguard were shifted forward just a bit. That's the real culprit...the finger guard takes up the first 1/2" of the handle.

All in all, it's one of my favorites. I'm glad I was able to get one. I hope Begg knives will give us an option to send our knives in for pimping (and jimping), this is a great knife to modify and personalize. Thank you Mr. Begg and Mr. Deng! Another project completed with outstanding execution!

Dude, GET OUT OF MY HEAD. :D Literally everything you said I agree with (except for the snail stalks...always liked those)...grip juuuust about 1/2" too short, took a few days to break in and now it's a smooth sexy beast, etc. But I'm still with you in that I can't stop looking at it or flipping it! I suppose when a knife gets so much right, it's hard to be too upset about the couple of things that "could've been."

Has anyone taken theirs apart or attempted to? I want to take mine apart and give it a good cleaning, but the entire pivot spins whenever I try to take out the pivot screw.

I like my grey one so much I just ordered the black one. Great small EDC knife.

Does anyone know whether the bearings are caged or free? First IKBS knife so not sure what to expect. Thanks!

Last edited:
Has anyone taken theirs apart or attempted to? I want to take mine apart and give it a good cleaning, but the entire pivot spins whenever I try to take out the pivot screw.

You need to hold the side with no screw with a rubber glove or something like that and then unscrew the torx screw.

I just got mine in yesterday. All I can say is WOW. This factory has surprised me with how well their qc is. My last zt had the pivot screw going loose after 1 hour of flipping. Not as smooth, but I read above and agree. Pretty sure in a week it will be nice and smooth.

The way the clip looks on your pocket, love it. Now I REALLY want one of his in house custom Kwaiken's.

I took mine apart. Fair warning: it's not as easy as I'd hoped for. Like RamZar said, the opposite side of the pivot needs held in place. This may sound simple but from the factory the pivot screw itself is like glued in, or at least mine was. Put something soft but grippy on a flat surface and place the Bodega non screw side down against said surface, push down with force and unscrew the pivot at the same time. You need pressure on the pivot or it'll just keep spinning..along with your mind because no knife should he so "field unfriendly". Be careful as you don't want to loose any of the loose bearings either.

Great knife, but the take down is terrible in my opinion and I dislike greatly uncaged bearings. Good luck!

Is this knife for sale?

The stonewashed and black stonewashed have been available at several dealers for quite a while now but some dealers may be out of stock.

If you're talking about the blue anodized ones it looks like towards the end of the month. You can pre-order them at KnifeCenter.

Stonewashed Plain Blade, Machined Titanium Handles

Black Stonewashed Plain Blade, Machined Titanium Handles
Blue Machined Titanium Handles with Gold Accents
Blue Machined Titanium Handles with Silver Accents

Back